Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest thing to me are rates. We can only overcome borderline e temps w rates. If it's light precip get ready to wake up to white mulch.

...like we did Friday morning. Difficult to get excited about after the HECS we just went through 2 short weeks ago.

06z GFS was a lot better for the DC area = the model has no clue to what will actually happen. None of them do really. Gonna be a tough forecast and they'll keep swinging back and forth I imagine until tomorrow or Sunday or until we see where the TROF will actually set up.

I'll get excited if and when it is snowing Monday night - and sticking. Luckily my area runs a degree or two cooler than DCA.

...like we did Friday morning. Difficult to get excited about after the HECS we just went through 2 short weeks ago.

Yep, especially when any heavier precip is going to be in a very narrow band along the torugh to the west wherever it sets up.  Botht he GFS and GGEM today keep it north of us so PA gets pretty good precip but we get light precip with temps staying above freezing.  The nam lowers the temp partly because of the death band it has over us. 

I think models tend to overdo the precip with those type troughs mroe often than not.  Plus the scale is so small, it's tough to get it over your back yard. 

Yes and it sort of looked like the GFS was doing that precip thing again with the band. If you look at the model runs there are blotchy high precip spots. I wouldn't totally doubt an enhanced area somewhere but I sure wouldn't bank on it doing me much good until it's ripping. ;)

Bearish def the way to play for now.

GFS looks awful today. The Low jumps several times. It's an outlier now.

I assume you are talking about the developing low? That has been bothering me as well. Have noticed over the last day or so that the way the models have been developing that low and its progression seemed somewhat off and had attributed it to the fact we were dealing with a very complicated situation with the interaction with the off shore low. But today's GFS wonky handling of the low as it progressed out to sea has made me question that maybe we are missing something. 

I have also noticed over the last couple days, and can't put my finger on exactly what, but the way the trough evolves as it pulls north seems a little off and again had attributed that to the complexities involved. But seeing the GFS try to pop a low back south of Cape Cod @ 84 after the low had already cleared the area got my mind thinking outside the box. This is a total wag on my part so take it for what it's worth. Could we possibly be talking about some energy revolving around the PV a day or so after we see the coastal development that the models are keying on and trying to resolve into the equation? In my mind it would explain a lot. Have looked at 500's but there is so much energy flying around it is hard to make heads or tails of anything. Again just a total wag that is probably way off base.

The only real hope of getting a decent snowfall is for the low to develop quicker to our south and east. That would help pull some slightly cooler air down and get us into steady precip and dynamic cooling. The NAM hints at that. With no real cold air in place everything must tick just right for moderate accumulations. Narrow banding is a bear to forecast...may have a better picture 12-24hrs out with the high res models.

Archived