Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2/9-2/10 Inverted Trough/Mini-Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very, very likely the norlun trough does not setup where the GGEM has it. Globals are horrible with the placement of inverted troughs. The high res models are the ones to use and even they have trouble placing them. Norluns almost always hit New England and not us

It s a much different set-up from your typical Norlun, it's a very vast IVT

Interesting to look at the NWS snowfall maps from Mt. Holly, as they show the forecast max to be in SE PA, but they snow the maximum potential max near/along the NJ coast.  I assume that's because the expected amounts mostly reflect snow from the 2nd system/inverted trough, while the max amounts reflect the chance that the coastal comes closer and hits the NJ coast harder.  Of course, this will all change, but interesting to look at as one doesn't often see this.  

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

MaxSnowWeb.png

Very, very likely the norlun trough does not setup where the GGEM has it. Globals are horrible with the placement of inverted troughs. The high res models are the ones to use and even they have trouble placing them. Norluns almost always hit New England and not us

Why would  that be? I don't think there's any science behind that statement. A Norlurn trough has no geographical preference that I am aware of.

GGEM is the first of the "globals" to say the NAM is once again correct... 6-12" with ratios taken into account, area wide... Even the LHV get in on low end warning/ high end advisory

This is not what is being reported in the media: that looks like a decent snow even for a large part of NJ, lower end but still more than the snow showers being talked about on the radio outlets. Can't have a foot plus for every storm, and most of ours are 3-6 events. Now will this be the correct result? Anyone? Or am I reading this wrong?

But not every case fits that grouping. This looks more widespread than a typical norlun setup. There's a lot of energy in that trough.

I think we get a moderate hit. The coastal is definitely more for SNE and LI (east end in particular). The models aren't going to be so wrong that it ends up 150-200 miles further west this close in.

But not every case fits that grouping. This looks more widespread than a typical norlun setup. There's a lot of energy in that trough.

I think we get a moderate hit.

What do you think Ski, 3-6 possible for us? Kid goes to Rutgers and they do not cancel for anything. He just can't drive in it. Is this entire setup typical of anything? Is this whole winter even typical so far?  Sounds like we cannot give up on this out our way, not yet at least.

This is a coastal scrape with a low probably of an IVT after the storm passes. It's not impossible for LI to see some snow with the coastal but it shouldn't be anything more than a few inches.

IVT's do favor New England but it's certainly possible for many in our subforum to get in on the action this time around.

This is a coastal scrape with a low probably of an IVT after the storm passes. It's not impossible for LI to see some snow with the coastal but it shouldn't be anything more than a few inches.

IVT's do favor New England but it's certainly possible for many in our subforum to get in on the action this time around.

Too bearish on the coastal methinks

yeah i would like to agree with you but there are just too many moving pieces on the table to NOT get anything substantial from this setup,plus our scraper might just want to pay us a visit tomm morn according to the new short range models and obvious trends.

Archived