joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I had to break the rules just a bit and clear my snowboard after only 3 hours because I was closing in on 10" and the top of the snow was at the level of the top of my clearvue gauge!  Here are the statistics, which are really interesting as you can see:

Snowfall past hour = 2.5"; it's still snowing at around 2.5"/hr

Snowfall past 3 hours = 9.5", avg 3.2"/hour for 3 hours

Snowfall since midnight = 22.5"

Total storm total = 26.0"

The liquid from the past 3 hours with 9.5" of snow measured just 0.37", which produced a ratio of nearly 26:1 !  The deathband snow was significantly drier, which makes sense.

That brings total storm liquid to 1.74" which, with 26.0" of snow produces a storm ratio of 15:1, which sounds perfect, so I'm pleased with my measurements so far.  At the current rate I am going to reach the coveted 30" mark right around 1:00pm.  Can't wait!!!!

Looks like you guys west of the river are ground zero.  It's been off and on heavy here but not the epic rates you're seeing.  I think we may end up in the top 5 all time for Lancaster proper but probably will not eclipse 1996's 30".  Still, top 5 in the last 90 years is pretty special. 

That HRRR says snow for another 8 hours.  Even at 1"/hr I'll reach 33".  Are we really beating DC?  I haven't heard about their amounts yet although Cantore did say that Frederick MD was at 30" about a half hour ago.

Current radar seems to show 30dbz parked along 81 corridor from MDT down to M-D line.  Cumberland county really is in the bullseye.  So hard to fathom.

Snowing very heavily still...over 2"/hr, maybe 3".

That HRRR says snow for another 8 hours.  Even at 1"/hr I'll reach 33".  Are we really beating DC?  I haven't heard about their amounts yet although Cantore did say that Frederick MD was at 30" about a half hour ago.

Current radar seems to show 30dbz parked along 81 corridor from MDT down to M-D line.  Cumberland county really is in the bullseye.  So hard to fathom.

Snowing very heavily still...over 2"/hr, maybe 3".

I saw a report of 16" near the Capitol around 11 am... reports in the 20s north and west of DC as was expected... some 30s in WV

We just surpassed 30" here in South Carlisle. Haven't had any blowing snow since about 8am so not much drifting at least here. I'd say 40" would definitely be achievable at this point.

you guys have been locked under that band all morning... I had it shift just north of me for a little bit but back overhead now

Archived