• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NWAflizzard
    Newest Member
    NWAflizzard
WxUSAF

January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

yup. going to be filling up the tub tonight before bed so we have some water to flush toilets should we lose power. have plenty of bottled water to drink, plenty of food that doesn't need to be cooked and layers can be put on. but dammit, when i gotta go.. i gotta go ;)

is that something you need to do with older systems? Haven't heard anything about that before. 

Why did they even do the poll if they don't choose the winner?  Dumb.

No idea.... I'd rather just call it the Blizzard of 2016, but I'll take Snowzilla over the name of a boy band any day.

I just had a coworker say she may need some more snow-melt.  Really?  30"+ and she thinks she can keep her sidewalks clear?!?!?

Nope. As I learned last year not everything is 100%. 

And I've learned after a number of times being badly burned to be very selective about who I talk to about forecasts.

One of the things I love about the pre-storm calm is the smell in the air. You can always smell snow coming, and especially so for the big ones.

Despite how much the above sentence sounds like it was typed by a dog, I can assure you all that I am in fact an actual human.

Guesses on whether the Euro takes another dump?  I feel like it's gonna be in line with the other globals.

Don't care. The dye is cast. I am hugging the models that are giving me the most snow.

And I totally missed the high wind warning stuff. That's amazing - gusts to 65 for Balt City.

KT - 

Measure at least 15 times every measurement and spread it around looking for good places. Start with the snowboard and branch out.  I would use mode...So if your measurements are 10,10,8,10,14,12,10,10,7....You'd use 10 instead of averaging...That's my advice...

Heh, when I test fired my generator last night it was running terrible. Just got finished taking apart and cleaning the carb and new plug. When I put it all back together I was kinda nervous...3 pulls to prime the fuel bowl and roared to life. Runs like new. Best of all...by doing this I guaranteed my power won't even go out. 

Anyway, everything is good. Hopefully everyone gets blasted. I have a better chance or losing power here than hitting the 20" mark. We lose power very easily in this area. But in the 16 years I've lived here I never lost power during a snowstorm. Fingers cvrossed :/

I have lived in Herndon for 23 years. Only storms not to lose power was blizzard '96 and PDII. The past 10 years seem to lose power with any time of major storm.

yup. going to be filling up the tub tonight before bed so we have some water to flush toilets should we lose power. have plenty of bottled water to drink, plenty of food that doesn't need to be cooked and layers can be put on. but dammit, when i gotta go.. i gotta go ;)

I was wondering about doing that. But I'm on city water, not a well. Does that make a difference?

Also, realized the HVAC unit is in a corner on the NE side of house. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume the unit will need to be cleared, if snow drifts into/around it.

I'm really concerned about wind. DC doesn't do well with trees and power lines. And with 65 mph gusts we might as well be in a tropical storm. Make sure you have firewood and blankets if your heat goes out.

That high wind warning has me a bit worried. 18-24" of snow with 65 MPH gusts is unreal, and incredibly dangerous.

Don't worry guys caviman2201 said we'll be just fine! We all need to stop whining like babies amirite?

is that something you need to do with older systems? Haven't heard anything about that before. 

I'm on well water, so if the power goes out our pump stops working. one flush and whatever water is in the toilet is gone and won't be refilled. filling the tub allows you to take a cup of water from it and put into the toilet when you need to flush. 

KT - 

Measure at least 15 times every measurement and spread it around looking for good places. Start with the snowboard and branch out.  I would use mode...So if your measurements are 10,10,8,10,14,12,10,10,7....You'd use 10 instead of averaging...That's my advice...

thank you, matt! 

I'm on well water, so if the power goes out our pump stops working. one flush and whatever water is in the toilet is gone and won't be refilled. filling the tub allows you to take a cup of water from it and put into the toilet when you need to flush.

thank you, matt!

Absolutely MG. Well users def need to half fill one tub.

I feel like the GFS is gonna nail this one when we do the post analysis. Start time nailed and everything looks on track right now. America, f***yeah!

I posted this in the other thread. Posting here in hopes they will see it. I think it's important.

While we have a lull, I want to give a shout out to Matt and Bob. Phenomenal guys, top notch performance throughout the week.