joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the city declared a snow emergency earlier today when it looked strongly like snow amounts were increasing. Mitchell Volk's a top notch met and he's the Sanitation Department's forecaster. 20"+ amounts are always tough to manage, but NYC has the resources.

Cuomo and deblasio are going to be sweating this. I wonder what the earliest press conference has ever been lol. I am sure there will be a state of emergency in the morning.

Reading on DTs fb and many pissed off Virginians posting they have transitioned to unexpected sleet and rain. This is such a dynamic storm. So many unexpected twists and turns. Can the mix line actually make it up to DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer when they were expecting HECS totals of snow

It's not the SSTs being a few above normal. These systems from down south are notorious for that. Add in the tremendous frontogenesis and divergence and deformaton signal, and the QPF tends to move further north than one may think.

The same signal was there on 2/6/10 and the confluence overcame that for north of Trenton. 500mb charts for this event always resembled Jan 1996, and the confluence to squash it was there, but nothing like in 2010. So this probably ends up somewhere between 1/1996 and 2/2010 in terms of northern extent. Boston so far looks to be on the outs, unfortunately. 

I just raised my amounts to 15"-24". I am thinking a 10-1 ratio due to the strong winds. I can see more is we really get into one of those mega bans. That is a now casting type of thing.

Thank God you're making a good forecast unlike the news outlets. At least the man in charge of the whole operation knows what's going on.  ;)

Archived