joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel bad for them too. They should still do well regardless.

Should that be a concern of ours as well tomorrow?

DC should do well through daybreak, then it comes down to how far the dryslot makes it. If the NAM is right, their really heavy snow shuts off not far after and the focus shifts to NYC/Long Island and down to the NW suburbs of DC, and then DC gets some more at the end when the CCB pivots through. The 24-30" being predicted for them really should be decided by what happens overnight, they're in some very nice echos now. 

Impossible not to be nears tears of joy, I think deep down most of us are avid and insane pro winter weather advocates and having said that we watch all these storms dreaming of precisely such a situation. The fact that NO ONE could have predicted the flood gates to the snow machine opening up like this on a day that started with most thinking will be lucky to scrape together 4-8 in the city and now we are walking down a tunnel filled with  the reality of a mega blizzard is nothing short of dream.

I actually write for a living and I just wrote the longest run on sentence of my writing career is only a byproduct of incredible emotion. Snowflakes at record pace can turn men into children.

Pure amzing, please enjoy every second & drink tons of coffe. My wife just made my frist mega mug :D

TWC just refuses to raise NYC to 18-24", they pretty much stop that level on Staten Island and just over the GWB. They mention "NYC should receive some very heavy snow and the computer models are racking up the action there". 

They have my area in the 18-24". The local on the 8 has 3-5" tonight and it actually says snowfall of a foot or better tomorrow with winds of 25-35MPH, gusting to 50MPH. Blizzard conditions. It's some of the strongest wording I've ever seen from them.

Starting to think that 18" amounts might be on the low side of the envelope. 

what's the justification for such an upgrade in totals? 

Every single piece of guidance basically slid towards the nam which was producing an insane amount of snow for nyc metro. AND, the early returns down south confirm the nam was in fact correct. 

now we obv know nyc isnt getting 50" like the nam is spitting out. qpf overdone, but it so far has done the best. 

Still, many pro forecasters say 'cut the nam qpf in half.' 18-24" is too high...once past 18" it's a moot point. 

Every single piece of guidance basically slid towards the nam which was producing an insane amount of snow for nyc metro. AND, the early returns down south confirm the nam was in fact correct. 

now we obv know nyc isnt getting 50" like the nam is spitting out. qpf overdone, but it so far has done the best. 

Down towards Harrisonburg, VA or so on I-81, looks like the dry slot is already on them. Looks like they'll underperform vs. the forecasts down that way. 

I checked and the traffic cams down there still show snow at a pretty good clip.  The radar is never that great in that area, it's on the edge of two radars.

Archived