joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it's starting within 12 hr. for many of us.  For the NAM to be so wrong this close in after such consistency would be pretty shocking.  I'd never look at it again.  Plus it's been leading the evangelist for heavier QPF

Even if you lop 40% off the ridic QPF printouts, which is prudent, you take 2.5-3.0 QPF and turn it into 1.5-1.8 which verifies as 15-22" areawide.

I think that's well within the realm of possibility here.

And good lord, those rates it's advertising... 3-5 per given massive in flow at all levels and steep isentropic slope.  In many ways the confluence to the north helps with the lift. 

I agree with you here and I actually think that NAM is going to be closer to right than wrong, if we take last night 00Z suite for example. But if you go back to Jan 26th 2015 the run in the afternoon (18Z) of Monday as the storm was current unfolding and it was snowing in NYC and LI already...the NAM tucked the low in the coast as it had been doing and dropped 3-4" of LE over NYC and LHV into CT. Now that was 0 HOURS and the NAM was consistently showing a major hit like that and it was dead wrong...we are still 12 hrs out or so. But I feel like this one will make up for the huge bust 2015 and all is forgiven

The HRRR really is showing the Northern edge having a hard time, although once it starts snowing I can't imagine it would stop.

HRRR-15MIN_Radar_ne_f720.png?v=145350069

There is almost always a zone from roughly EWR to western LI where the NNE wind down the CT Valley drains down dry air and it takes forever to saturate vs areas further west and east. In this event though the winds may be NE enough that doesn't happen

I agree with you here and I actually think that NAM is going to be closer to right than wrong, if we take last night 00Z suite for example. But if you go back to Jan 26th 2015 the run in the afternoon (18Z) of Monday as the storm was current unfolding and it was snowing in NYC and LI already...the NAM tucked the low in the coast as it had been doing and dropped 3-4" of LE over NYC and LHV into CT. Now that was 0 HOURS and the NAM was consistently showing a major hit like that and it was dead wrong...we are still 12 hrs out or so. But I feel like this one will make up for the huge bust 2015 and all is forgiven

difference this year is that other modeling has moved towards its solution...last year there were several models with a stubborn eastern solution which turned out to be right.   Not the case this go around as other guidance continually bumps north

weatherfox it's mulen another transplanted whitestone resident watching from the sidelines frustrating.The mind says great the body says know to the cold .Quite the robust system hitting the east coast should break records.. We had some very rigorous rains in saint lucie county enjoy the show.see ya

DT sounded pissed in the other forum and said in the end the Nam may end up correct. I can't tell if he's being serious or not though.

The snow growth is crap down there. I didn't like the thermals for snow growth in parts of VA when I took a close look. In the end many will be disappointed because this thing isn't gonna equal 2/6/10 and I think the dry slot may screw DCA too

The snow growth is crap down there. I didn't like the thermals for snow growth in parts of VA when I took a close look. In the end many will be disappointed because this thing isn't gonna equal 2/6/10 and I think the dry slot may screw DCA too

JI warned him and in return called him a idiot 

agreed

omeg.png

The RAP and HRRR are in agreement right now on not bringing much precip north of Manhattan. There could be quite the gradient within the city itself.

By 12z Saturday, HRRR shows 2-4" fallen for much of the area. By12z Saturday on the 4km NAM, 3-5" has fallen. Not much of a difference. Same time on the GFS, 3-5" as well. HRRR looks terrific actually. Next several frames should show heavy snow

Archived