joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last post of the night here. While I wouldn't necessarily focus on the amounts, the hi-res models are entering the time frame where they will do better with timing and location of mesoscale banding. In that respect the HRRR and RAP are the real deal to me, though the 23Z RAP might have some convective issues given those extreme amounts. Winds being what they are forecast to be, looks like instant blizzard by 9-10 AM Saturday morning for NYC/LI if not a little sooner...

Last post of the night here. While I wouldn't necessarily focus on the amounts, the hi-res models are entering the time frame where they will do better with timing and location of mesoscale banding. In that respect the HRRR and RAP are the real deal to me, though the 23Z RAP might have some convective issues given those extreme amounts. Winds being what they are forecast to be, looks like instant blizzard by 9-10 AM Saturday morning for NYC/LI if not a little sooner...

Thanks for the inside scoop!

Thank you for your thoughts, wish you would post more often.

Great to have the presence of Dr Goodman on this board. Gave a great storm spotter training at Upton few years back and I remember feeling a bit giddy meeting one of our best local mets..

Anyway, sage advice from a scientist with class..

This could be a storm talked about for a long time for NYC if these predictions happen. The snow amounts plus the wind strength/blizzard conditions plus (unfortunately) the coastal flooding impact. This might end up being a bigger overall impact around NYC than DC. Hopefully the NYC Sanitation Department is caught up, unlike Boxing Day 2010. Mitchell Volk I'm sure will play a key part in that. :)

Great post Bill. Thanks!

That is a classic northern edge fronto band....it just runs into a wall...the upper levels are practically splitting air molecules.

I had mentioned this on the radio show last night that someone on the north side of the precip shield will get crushed. NAM likely overdoes it but it at least gives the idea that there will be some intense bands somewhere on the north side.

That is a classic northern edge fronto band....it just runs into a wall...the upper levels are practically splitting air molecules.

I had mentioned this on the radio show last night that someone on the north side of the precip shield will get crushed. NAM likely overdoes it but it at least gives the idea that there will be some intense bands somewhere on the north side.

And someone just 10 miles north of those "crushed" will have their hearts crushed!!! Tight, tight gradient with this one!!

Archived