joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through 0z, the 12z GFS has been verifying better than the 12z NAM when it comes to QPF in parts of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.

The NAM has done better in Charlottesville and Richmond.

The GFS has done better in Baltimore, Harrisburg, Raleigh, Roanoke, Sterling, Washington, DC and Wilmington (DE).

In general, the NAM was too aggressive in boosting QPF through 0z. It's still uncertain whether this is merely a matter of timing or an overall better forecast.

Isn't the banding much earlier than expected? That might be in the area by midnight or even earlier. The news outlets I watched said that the first flakes would start at midnight.  :lol:

It's going to take its time moving north. There's dry air to overcome and the strong lift will take a while to reach NYC, but it will get there. 

21z SREF has over 2" liquid up to White Plains and the CT coast. 

The newest HRRR I saw has 18-24" snow through 22z tomorrow for much of central NJ and a good part of Long Island. 12" gets into NW NJ and about up to White Plains, then east from there into LI Sound, with still hours more snow to go in the CCB. 

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_jet&domain=z3&run_time=22+Jan+2016+-+22Z

and why wouldn't they...that's what a lot of models are showing..around a foot maybe a bit more...only weenies follow the nam lock stock and barrell

Other models besides the NAM are showing over a foot of snow now in NYC. I'd go with 12-18" in NYC-if the NAM does happen to be right, there will be spots to 2 feet. 

Through 0z, the 12z GFS has been verifying better than the 12z NAM when it comes to QPF in parts of North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.

The NAM has done better in Charlottesville and Richmond.

The GFS has done better in Baltimore, Harrisburg, Raleigh, Roanoke, Sterling, Washington, DC and Wilmington (DE).

In general, the NAM was too aggressive in boosting QPF through 0z. It's still uncertain whether this is merely a matter of timing or an overall better forecast.

great post Don, certaintly interesting stuff...

By the way, I think it's great how magnanimous you are. This is the type of storm that helps bring out weather lovers for the future, and in twenty years, they'll say, "I remember when I was ten and we had that big storm!"

Glad you guys are making out as well as I had anticipated  yesterday.

Final calls:

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com

Archived