joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coastal really cranking now in the last hr the winds here have gotten pretty bad here in eastern Pitt Co, 20-25 sustained gusting 35-45 I bet....its a constant roar outside, I have a stand of large pines 200 yrds away and as I type this I can hear the roar of the wind in them..rain is finally let up over 2" in the rain gauge. 

Just walked inside. Was outside for about hour and it was like a thunderstorm except sleet was raging instead of rain. Never heard thunder.

You might have been a few minutes late going outside.  Had a couple of nice loud claps of thunder here about 6:20. I'm just a very few miles NE of you.  You're definitely correct that the sleet was pouring down.  I'm so glad I only had a small period of zr. Just enough to leave a glaze and right back to sleet.

THis is what you could call the "comma head" so I think we will see some decent accumulations out of it.

Sounds good!  It won't take much more to put us over 6" at this point, and that would be a great storm in my book (it already is, even if it didn't have as much snow as I thought to this point).

You might have been a few minutes late going outside.  Had a couple of nice loud claps of thunder here about 6:40. I'm just a very few miles NE of you.  You're definitely correct that the sleet was pouring down.  I'm so glad I only had a small period of zr. Just enough to leave a glaze and right back to sleet.

Maybe that is what I heard when I was shoveling the driveway, then.  The sleet was so loud and I was concentrating on shoveling, so I wasn't sure what it was.

And yes on the ZR.  I don't think we ever went over to ZR here (I did not notice any accretion on the elevated surfaces), and I am very thankful for it, especially since it's pretty blustery out there, which would have made any ZR accretion that much worse.

Anyways, sleet is coming down at a decent clip at the moment.

Coastal really cranking now in the last hr the winds here have gotten pretty bad here in eastern Pitt Co, 20-25 sustained gusting 35-45 I bet....its a constant roar outside, I have a stand of large pines 200 yrds away and as I type this I can hear the roar of the wind in them..rain is finally let up over 2" in the rain gauge.

From outside Cherry Point, near James City I had over 2.4 RAIN, still pouring. Hopefully will see a flake in the day tomorrow.

If you'll use mossiac radar, even the slightest grey shading will produce. You can see the next batch or comma shape brandon is talking about rotating on the loop and time things pretty well. The mid layers should be cooler with this batch. Doesn't have the waa generating it like what we just had the past couple of hours.

Archived