joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 4

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Satellites do a very good job of filling in for upper air balloons in areas where they are not available. Reference dtk and the other mets that have discussed this. In all likelyhood it's probably more a factor of it 1) being far out in time and 2) Our big storm for this weekend hasn't even occurred yet.

Lol

Sorry. I was kidding.

Couple of points - 

- Per GFS, 2m temps Monday morning single digits to negatives in some of the exurbs (of note, 2m temps would be just 1m above the snowpack in some areas!)

- Potential threat the following Thurs; this has gone back and forth from onshore rain to offshore snow depending on the speed of the LP and cold front.  Wouldn't take much to synch these up more favorably, but models have backed away from anything significant for our region.  GFS deepens the low off SC, but both GFS and Euro have the LP dig too much to make it far up the coast.

- All models showing at least a few days of warmth by the following week, near 60 by Tuesday Feb 2nd - a long way off, but heights seem to support.  I'd imagine there's space for a reload by the second week of Feb, but too far off to tell, and we know what the weeklies are saying...

Sort of want to hang my head for noting this, but JB calling for SSW leading to reboot of cold Feb 10-rest of Feb.

The Jan 21st  00Z Euro looks as if it may agree with him. At day 10 it looks as if the PV is on the verge of a split. Being the Euro I can't post though. Have to wonder though if in the way it is configured if a split would even be beneficial to us here on the east coast. I am thinking not but don't know nearly enough to be sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in?

Edit: This is from looking at 50mb.

Archived