• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

Tbh, I'd rather have Jeter up at bat with Mariano waiting in the bullpen.

In a meteorological note, I really think we're nowhere near the eighth inning with this storm. The storm is still yet to be sampled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Things will start to be crystallized 12 z today and 24 hours after that we will be nearly there. More realistically, In bottom of the sixth but right now we're down 5-1 with men on base so let's see what happens

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big feature with the 00z suite, imho, is the s/w feature that earthlight spoke about which is suppressing the height fields. This feature, while not sampled quite fully either, has huge implications with regards to the eventual evolution of our storm. The 18z Rgem showed this feature being more sheared and quicker than the Euro or Gfs depicted at 12z. Is this just noise, or is the Rgem on to something? That remains to be seen, however, with the Rgem being a damn good short range, I tend to believe we will see a different solution at 00z. Furthermore, the AO is relaxing very quickly (as the AO tends to chat get quickly from my experience) and this is also going to allow less suppression imho.

US- I think the AO is actually relaxing more slowly than forecasted, which would suggest stronger suppression. The measured index is at the lower bound of the 7 day forecast.

ao.sprd2.gif

Nam would be a great hit fwiw Hghts rise along the east coast

Nam would be a long duration hit for the entire eastern seaboard. With that being said, I usually stop watching the NAM after 42/48 hours and the big take aways I saw were two fold. One : the NAM agrees with the rgem in terms of sheering out the northern stream perturbation. Two : our s/w does not dig nearly as far as the other globals show. That's huge.

Edit : I hate my new keyboard. I can't type.

What makes this really intellectually lazy is that who the NWS sides with has nothing to do with snow potential. 

I see you are a smart person.  Don't you respect the education of the mets at the NWS for interpreting the models, the meteorology and revising their thoughts in an AFD?  I noted that I was quoting their thoughts.  If earlier they believed the storm track would be further south of NYC that would be a factor influencing the cities snowfall potential.

I see you are a smart person.  Don't you respect the education of the mets at the NWS for interpreting the models, the meteorology and revising their thoughts in an AFD?  I noted that I was quoting their thoughts.  If earlier they believed the storm track would be further south of NYC that would be a factor influencing the cities snowfall potential.

Sure, but it's double counting to say "the ECWMF went south, AND the NWS moved the track south".  The NWS moved the track south BECAUSE the ECWMF went south.  So you're not adding information by considering both - either consider the NWS forecast alone (which reflects their best guess at weighting/blending the models) or make your own blend that excludes the NWS forecast.   

Archived