amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see the differences in the mid-level jet. The strongest 700mb winds are over Central and Southern NJ as opposed to Central and Northern NJ.

Come on man.  You're looking for signal in 50mi changes from run to run.  That's just model noise (as amply evidenced by ensemble forecasting).  This is the same run, in substance.

Now I have issues with the precipitation on the GFS

With this kind of RH field you would not see the QPF so closely packed into the surface low like the model is showing. There would be an extension to the N and W as the cyclone matures.

Doesn't add up

67bdf485cd1bcbf7342aa7d285e331cf.png

This is a good catch... The northern extension as well as the western extent should be more expansive than what's being shown

How is this the same run? Virtually nothing falls North of I-84.

"virtually" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.  Again, don't exaggerate what it shows.  Just say what it shows.  Which is a 50mi shift south.  Add it to the blended, weighted mean.  Time and again, that's been shown to be the best way to forecast.  You don't need to editorialize, especially when it adds no value.

Not a terrible run. 

I just really, really need to see that H5 low gain latitude after closing off otherwise we will all be smoking cirrus. The 18z GFS did wink at the ECMWF a bit by moving east for a frame or two after H5 closed, but that could be nothing. We'll have to see what the GEFS and subsequent runs do. 

f96.gif

12z 

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_17.png

vs 18z at the same time

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_16.png

Now ask yourself this, if you lived in the LHV would you consider these runs the same?

That's not the question.  The question is whether or not the forecasts are within the de facto margin of error (wrong term for a model output, but conceptually the same thing).  After either run, the forecast for the LHV is the same thing - you're on the northern edge of the big precip, it's basically a 50/50 shot.  That one run prints out X QPF and the other prints out 3X doesn't change that - the depiction (sharp northern cutoff, cutoff somewhere north of NYC and south of ALB) is fundamentally the same. 

That's not the question.  The question is whether or not the forecasts are within the de facto margin of error (wrong term for a model output, but conceptually the same thing).  After either run, the forecast for the LHV is the same thing - you're on the northern edge of the big precip, it's basically a 50/50 shot.  That one run prints out X QPF and the other prints out 3X doesn't change that - the depiction (sharp northern cutoff, cutoff somewhere north of NYC and south of ALB) is fundamentally the same. 

I hope you realize that one more shift like that at 00z and you would be close to the Euro solution.

When you see this type of cutoff on the Northern edge it definitely raises a few flags. The good news is we still have a long way to go with this one. I really thought given the agreement we had yesterday that this one was pretty close to a certainty but once again I have been humbled.

GFS-MAXRES_QPFtotal_ne_f141.png?v=145324

I hope you realize that one more shift like that at 00z and you would be close to the Euro solution.

One can easily say a shift by the euro can lead to a solution closer to the GFS.  Bottom line is.  The models don't make the weather.  Lets see how this plays out and enjoy tracking something as we all deserve that :-)

if you're on the jersey shore or long island, the whole setup is very promising and we have some margin of error to still get a 6+ storm.  I can see emotions running high for everyone north of the metro...in the best ones this is how it usually breaks down.  more often than not moisture makes it a little further inland/north than the final solutions would show, especially with unusually warm ocean temps.

Exactly, but that's trend forecasting, which has never been shown to have any skill.  There's no evidence that the model going 50mi south at 6Z increases the odds of it going an additional 50mi south at 12Z, other than the fact that models get more accurate the closer you get to the event (though that's not that big of an effect over a 6 hour interval at this range).

Put differently, it's almost as likely that the 12Z run would shift back north.

This run didn't change the blended mean.  It's a classic example of a hold-serve.

Archived