joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted something similar in the MA forum earlier. I think the bigger story than quick threat windows after the lakes cutter is still the ao/nao. EPS was money for long leads. Every 12 hours the oranges are getting redder in the high latitudes.

Yes, the pna/epo combo looks nice on the means but that's a volatile and not an easy storm setup for south of 40N. Imo- what we are seeing could be the backside of a 45-60 day -AO period coming into focus. Time will tell.

I don't think anyone said anything about a winter storm next weekend. People are saying the pattern is starting to look good again the second week of February.

some mets. are talking there is a strong signal for a snowstorm next weekend, Super Bowl weekend Sat. thru Monday in the southeast, storm is digging more than the last one we just had and there looks to be more cold air in the southeast this go around.

GEFS, GEPS, and EPS all still look good in the LR.  The CPC index charts show the NAO hovering slightly positive with the PNA bouncing between 0 and +1, while the AO goes from + to 0 with some members thereafter returning positive, while others showing a decline into negative territory.  The Ops this morning look pretty bad, but run to run changes are to be expected (although the Euro looks ok...it actually shows a nice -NAO at 240).  The CFS still isn't where we want it for Feb, though it's better than a few days ago, and FWIW, the MJO meanders around in phase 3/4 at a low amplitude and into the COD.

GEFS, GEPS, and EPS all still look good in the LR.  The CPC index charts show the NAO hovering slightly positive with the PNA bouncing between 0 and +1, while the AO goes from + to 0 with some members thereafter returning positive, while others showing a decline into negative territory.  The Ops this morning look pretty bad, but run to run changes are to be expected (although the Euro looks ok...it actually shows a nice -NAO at 240).  The CFS still isn't where we want it for Feb, though it's better than a few days ago, and FWIW, the MJO meanders around in phase 3/4 at a low amplitude and into the COD.

I think we're going to see the AO start showing more and more negative members in the next few days(it's already trending that way). Not sure if the NAO will get better, but if we can get the PNA and AO on our side there should be potential.

Day 10 GFS features ridging over the pole, a tall PNA ridge, a cold vortex over Hudson Bay and a weak southern stream system--plenty of potential here, I believe.

Normally not a big fan of the Hudson Bay vortex since it tends to lead to cold-warm-rain-cold OR squash with NW flow....but it's a starting point, and it's probably better in a strong nino since we'd have more ability than normal to get the California to Dixie storm connection going.

Looking at the 12z GFS & CMC Op and Ens, both support a south to east coast system after the cutter with critical freezing temps roughly across N AR / TN / NC....It's a decent look at this point, obviously would like to see it farther south and colder.

Wes sums up the post cutter pattern well here...

Bob,  I think our hopes would lie in having one wave go by and then another having better timing than forecast by the Canadian or the Euro.  Either the northern stream speeds up and pulls in cold air and we get a more sheared out southern stream system or we have something like the Euro is showing with another strong shortwave dropping down behind the first system.  For getting some snow, it's not a horrid pattern.  For getting a big storm it needs some work. 

12z Euro Ensemble is below normal with temps in the SE each day from day 7 to 15...with an amplified pattern of Aleutian Low, full W North America ridge (and into the arctic), and eastern U.S. trough

Is there a sign of split flow, STJ on the ensembles? Worried the pna epo combo leaves us cold and dry. Probably too early to tell though.

Not at 500mb, but it does have the actual STJ at 200mb running across Baja and into the N Gulf.  Yeah, it's not the perfect setup, but a cold eastern trough + strong El Nino might yield a chance or two if it comes to fruition.

Not at 500mb, but it does have the actual STJ at 200mb running across Baja and into the N Gulf. Yeah, it's not the perfect setup, but a cold eastern trough + strong El Nino might yield a chance or two if it comes to fruition.

Thanks Grit. Yeah with this historic Nino, you would think if we can just sustain the cold, it would only be a matter of time. Looks like ingredient number one may only be a week or so away.

Don't worry Brick I've got your back...18Z was a hot mess of nothing. We will move forward with our daily hopefulness of one frame of one off run to build February momentum when in all actuality we have no clue beyond 5 days. However, just like you Brick, I will wait anxiously for that one fantasy land clown map and suddenly become the top rated meteorologist in the southeast and subject everyone to my weenie interpretation. ill tell you this..like a squirrel to its nut, now and then, a weenie finds its bun. Forecast on!

Maybe if the cold blast is not as great after the the cutter, we could have a little better chance at scoring something without supression. The cold has rarely ended up as cold as modeled from 5-7 days out, for most of the winter.

I agree.  We've had some decent cold in January, but nothing too exciting.  TW

The Euro Weeklies are pretty dang good, we may be looking at a Feb much like last year as far as cold is concerned. Trough featured in the east throughout entire run but mainly what has caught everyone's eye is week 4. Notice the pacific trough location under or west of the Aleutians - good for ridge out west and east coast trough. The 5 and 7 day means have this location throughout run. It will be cold, at least, stormy TBD. Those who thought Feb may be average are in trouble.

Via Todd Crawford on Twitter:

4c01a2800eca2f673768be27caaecab4.jpg

Archived