• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

0z euro was real close: Heres 6z Nam. see what happens at 12 z: one frame of euro 0z almost matches 6z nam

TW

namconus_asnow_seus_29.png

6z NAM simulated radar at hour 84 (temps would be in low to mid 30s for most):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F06%2Fnam_namer_084_sim_radar.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=sim_radar&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160125+06+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

12z coming out now...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not look at the CFS for Feb.  Horrendous.  Thankfully, it will probably be wrong.  Don't have time for a full post, but the indexes look bad for a week or so, with the AO and NAO heading positive before falling to neutral again.  The PNA looks to remain barely positive and the MJO looks to be incoherent with an eventual emergence into Phase 4.  The Operational models show a warm up in the medium term, but don't look too bad later on, with blocking building in the EPO region.  No sign of a -NAO, though, and I haven't looked at the ensembles, yet.

Overall, I expect Feb into March to be a pretty good period, with several events to track, after we escape the first week or so.

Snowing in CAE and CHS on the last frame!! I'm all in! Are the 850s cold, so we can maybe get snow with 35-38 degree 2 m temps?

Oh I agree 100%. But what's winter in the south without a little wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. The positively tilted s/w over mexico and the northern stream stuck up at Canada, I'm not sure how a phase would even get modeled, haha.

0TErLv6.png

Do not look at the CFS for Feb.  Horrendous.  Thankfully, it will probably be wrong.  Don't have time for a full post, but the indexes look bad for a week or so, with the AO and NAO heading positive before falling to neutral again.  The PNA looks to remain barely positive and the MJO looks to be incoherent with an eventual emergence into Phase 4.  The Operational models show a warm up in the medium term, but don't look too bad later on, with blocking building in the EPO region.  No sign of a -NAO, though, and I haven't looked at the ensembles, yet.

Overall, I expect Feb into March to be a pretty good period, with several events to track, after we escape the first week or so.

CFSv2 seems to do well at the last day of the month, so I'll wait until the 31st to put any weight on it.

06z GEFS looks better than the 00z starting the 2nd week of Feb, which matches up well with other models/thoughts. Seems we'll have this one last "shot" if you will, around the 28th then get a little break with above average temperatures to start February, and coast into the 2nd week below normal and ready for action. Cold last 3/4's of Feb is still on table.

OqFWfh8.png

Way too positively tilted.  Looks like it wouldn't go negative until too late to pop a low anywhere but off the east coast.

Right, IF it phases it will be a late phase, only benefiting MA who would probably like to thaw out at this point. Would add token flakes to the DelMarVa area which doesn't care to see any.

I know we have an ice pack to the north, but with the AO already positive now and staying that way until around Feb 4th at best, NAO already positive and goes to +1 by Feb 5th, and PNA going Negative on Feb 3rd, I don't see the cold source. I guess the EPO goes neutral but still not seeing it, at least now until first part of February. 

Larry Cosgrove #weatheramerica

Yes, Virginia (and other states in Appalachia, the Mid-Atlantic and New England), there IS a decent chance at another important winter storm around January 28 or so. Also the likelihood of a very mild start to February from the High Plains to the East Coast that translates to a stormy and cold pattern after February 4-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFSv2 seems to do well at the last day of the month, so I'll wait until the 31st to put any weight on it.

06z GEFS looks better than the 00z starting the 2nd week of Feb, which matches up well with other models/thoughts. Seems we'll have this one last "shot" if you will, around the 28th then get a little break with above average temperatures to start February, and coast into the 2nd week below normal and ready for action. Cold last 3/4's of Feb is still on table.

OqFWfh8.png

Cold for 3/4 of Feb would be fine.  Also good to have a nice weekend this weekend to clean up all of the limbs from the ice storm.

I'd like to see the pattern suppressed. Get the cold air here, then let the storm setup in the GoM and roar up the coastline off shore, in full form, already phased and strong. Imagine the last storm but suppressed south and east by a few hundred miles. We want to stay in that northern section of a fully formed storm for as long as possible.

Yes, the mountains may not get as much moisture, but then they benefit from orthographic lift anyway. They could still get a good hit and so would most of the rest of us without the mixing issues. Its damn hard to get that type of setup though.

Two things:

1) I like not seeing a big sustained warm-up on the Euro.  In fact, the 12z shows blocking potentially building over the top.  We'll see....

2) Although, I'm not particularly impressed with the "event" this week, it's really not THAT far off.  I mean, if the western ridge were somehow just a bit taller/sharper, and the wave in the STJ was oriented a bit differently, we could be looking at something threadable.  I mean, you know I always want a good high pressure around, but if we got a perfect phase (based on the changes need above), we should have enough cold air for NC and maybe parts of NW SC/NE GA to get a nice snow.  As has been previously mentioned, having a decent snow pack to the north won't hurt.

Anyway, just food for thought on this tranquil and chilly winter day.

Two things:

1) I like not seeing a big sustained warm-up on the Euro.  In fact, the 12z shows blocking potentially building over the top.  We'll see....

2) Although, I'm not particularly impressed with the "event" this week, it's really not THAT far off.  I mean, if the western ridge were somehow just a bit taller/sharper, and the wave in the STJ was oriented a bit differently, we could be looking at something threadable.  I mean, you know I always want a good high pressure around, but if we got a perfect phase (based on the changes need above), we should have enough cold air for NC and maybe parts of NW SC/NE GA to get a nice snow.  As has been previously mentioned, having a decent snow pack to the north won't hurt.

Anyway, just food for thought on this tranquil and chilly winter day.

Raleigh likes it enough to put 40% chance Rain/Snow mix for Thursday:

Raleigh likes it enough to put 40% chance Rain/Snow mix for Thursday:

Yeah mix over for you guys.  They have Raleigh proper at all rain.  But who cares at this point, right?  Plenty of time to watch it.  I don't give it a great chance of becoming anything, but I think it's at least worth looking at with a side eye while putting a rain/snow mix icon in your signature.... :whistle:

Kind of surprised at the semi-bullish wording from WPC

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1059 AM EST MON JAN 25 2016

VALID 12Z THU JAN 28 2016 - 12Z MON FEB 01 2016

...GUIDANCE/UNCERTAINTY ASSESSMENT AND WEATHER THREATS...

...THE E-CENTRAL US...

OF THE FULL ENVELOPE OF RECENT MODEL AND ENSEMBLE SOLUTIONS...THE

00 UTC ECMWF/UKMET AND ECMWF ENSEMBLES OFFER THE MOST AMPLIFIED

AND NRN/SRN STREAM SEPARATE FLOW WITH TROUGHING ALOFT OVER ERN

NORTH AMERICA THU/FRI. THE WPC PRODUCT SUITE WAS PRIMARILY DERIVED

FROM THIS SCENARIO WITH THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN PROVIDING A

REASONABLE LOW POSITION NEAR THE CENTROID OF MORE VARIED

ECMWF/UKMET DETERMINISTIC TIMINGS. THIS SEEMS TO FIT THE OVERALL

PATTERN AND HAS SUPPORT FROM UPSTREAM WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND AT

LEAST THE TRENDS FROM RECENT GFS/GFSP/GEFS RUNS. THIS PATTERN

ALLOWS DEEPENING COASTAL LOW DEVELOPMENT/TRACK UP THE EAST COAST.

LOW FORMATION IS NOT ANYWHERE ON THE ORDER OF THE RECENT HISTORIC

STORM AND WILL BE MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE. HOWEVER...THIS COULD

PROVIDE A SWATH OF HEAVY SNOW ON A LESS THAN CERTAIN AXIS ON THE

NW PERIPHERY OF THE ASSOCIATED WRAPPED PCPN SHIELD THU FROM THE

INTERIOR SERN US NEWD ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC IN MODESTLY COOLED

AIR

Kind of surprised at the semi-bullish wording from WPC

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1059 AM EST MON JAN 25 2016

VALID 12Z THU JAN 28 2016 - 12Z MON FEB 01 2016

...GUIDANCE/UNCERTAINTY ASSESSMENT AND WEATHER THREATS...

...THE E-CENTRAL US...

OF THE FULL ENVELOPE OF RECENT MODEL AND ENSEMBLE SOLUTIONS...THE

00 UTC ECMWF/UKMET AND ECMWF ENSEMBLES OFFER THE MOST AMPLIFIED

AND NRN/SRN STREAM SEPARATE FLOW WITH TROUGHING ALOFT OVER ERN

NORTH AMERICA THU/FRI. THE WPC PRODUCT SUITE WAS PRIMARILY DERIVED

FROM THIS SCENARIO WITH THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN PROVIDING A

REASONABLE LOW POSITION NEAR THE CENTROID OF MORE VARIED

ECMWF/UKMET DETERMINISTIC TIMINGS. THIS SEEMS TO FIT THE OVERALL

PATTERN AND HAS SUPPORT FROM UPSTREAM WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND AT

LEAST THE TRENDS FROM RECENT GFS/GFSP/GEFS RUNS. THIS PATTERN

ALLOWS DEEPENING COASTAL LOW DEVELOPMENT/TRACK UP THE EAST COAST.

LOW FORMATION IS NOT ANYWHERE ON THE ORDER OF THE RECENT HISTORIC

STORM AND WILL BE MUCH MORE PROGRESSIVE. HOWEVER...THIS COULD

PROVIDE A SWATH OF HEAVY SNOW ON A LESS THAN CERTAIN AXIS ON THE

NW PERIPHERY OF THE ASSOCIATED WRAPPED PCPN SHIELD THU FROM THE

INTERIOR SERN US NEWD ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC IN MODESTLY COOLED

AIR

I doubt they had looked at the 12z runs.  I like what they said though. TW

Archived