joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew the El Nino would die down some once the cold air got in here! Pattern flip it is. we flipped the active STJ apparently also! lol  :axe:  Oh but wait, once we warm up, it will get active again..........  Before the cold got in here it would rain every 2-3 days now it's dry as a bone! Such is winter in the southeast!!!   :)  That's why we never need big arctic outbreaks nothing but cold/dry when that happens. I just want cold high pressure to the north, NEVER overpowering cold..... That's just me! I know some love cold and dry! I hate it. Rant over for now!

Just for the record, I think we still end up above normal in the snow dept for the year. I think we will have 2-4 storms once we get it going............. 

I hate the really cold air, too. Usually just means dry. I don't think it rained here every 2 or 3 days with the Nino since the start of fall, though. But we did seem to have rain systems move in every week, and they would stick around for 2 or 3 days. Then it was maybe 5 to 7 days of dry weather before the rain came again, and it would stay around for 2 or 3 days again. That is what I am hoping continues. If the precip sticks around for a couple of days like that, maybe there will be increased chances it meets up with cold air.

Have to remind myself of this to stay positive. But it also makes it harder to be patient knowing this.

For example, the warm (positive) phase of the ENSO cycle, better known as El Niño, typically results in a more active southern jet stream, which ultimately leads to increased precipitation across the southeastern U.S. during the winter. When a negative NAO is in place during an El Niño winter, cold, Arctic air is transported towards the southeastern U.S. with enhanced precipitation potential due to the El Niño effect, and research at the SCO has found that the number of snow days in NC increase significantly in all four winter months.

Our results found that a negative NAO combined with a positive ENSO phase (El Niño) resulted in the most snow days on average, with an increase of 25% (or more) in snow days for all four winter months.

Wow. Nat Gas is the only energy up today. Up .6% to 2.34 per mbtu. Still up very nicely over the last couple of weeks. But RBOB (Gas you put in your car) is down 5.5% today to 1.187 per gallon (need to add taxes and transport cost). I did fill up for 1.55 yesterday which was nice. 

Interesting is heating oil is down 3.3% today as well. 

Wow. Nat Gas is the only energy up today. Up .6% to 2.34 per mbtu. Still up very nicely over the last couple of weeks. But RBOB (Gas you put in your car) is down 5.5% today to 1.187 per gallon (need to add taxes and transport cost). I did fill up for 1.55 yesterday which was nice. 

Interesting is heating oil is down 3.3% today as well. 

Still hard to trust the rally in natty gas.  It's been beaten down for so long.  But it IS holding up well for now.

Still hard to trust the rally in natty gas.  It's been beaten down for so long.  But it IS holding up well for now.

It is short term (winter months). Supply is insane right now and until utilities convert to nat gas fully, it will be below $2.00 MBTU for a long time. We just started exporting LNG but we have a 600 year supply using the most conservative estimates. remember, when frackers pull energy from the ground, they pull it all up. Oil, Nat gas, liquids (used in plastics), Propane, and more. Our wells are the most productive wells in terms of nat gas in the world (greater than Russia). 

It is short term (winter months). Supply is insane right now and until utilities convert to nat gas fully, it will be below $2.00 MBTU for a long time. We just started exporting LNG but we have a 600 year supply using the most conservative estimates. remember, when frackers pull energy from the ground, they pull it all up. Oil, Nat gas, liquids (used in plastics), Propane, and more. Our wells are the most productive wells in terms of nat gas in the world (greater than Russia).

That makes sense. I have been looking at UGAZ for a quick trade, but I haven't found an entry point I'm comfortable with. It is a really risky product, especially right now.

That makes sense. I have been looking at UGAZ for a quick trade, but I haven't found an entry point I'm comfortable with. It is a really risky product, especially right now.

If you play that, don't hold it longer than a day or so. Contango will eat it alive when the contracts roll over. Best time to invest in that is when you use your weather knowledge and know it will be cold when people are betting it will be warm or vice versa (IE December of this year). 

If you play that, don't hold it longer than a day or so. Contango will eat it alive when the contracts roll over. Best time to invest in that is when you use your weather knowledge and know it will be cold when people are betting it will be warm or vice versa (IE December of this year). 

Yeah, that's exactly right.  I got burned by that last year.  The models were showing cold, and NG kept plummeting.  So, in and out is the new strategy. :)

The Vikings should open the roof.

Seattle isn't used to that kind of cold. Wouldn't hurt to have it open, outside of everyone having frostbite and not being able to walk and get concessions.

*Question* Are they playing in that college looking stadium? I forgot what was going on with the dome?

i really dont understand why people are upset at what specifics the gfs is showing past 200hrs? give me sustained cold and suppressed storm systems and we WILL cash in.  gfs has a history of suppressing systems only to bring the precip north as the event gets closer.  the signals are there, the pattern is there, patience.  it is jan 6th...not march 6th.  

All we need is just a little

tumblr_mogzc7IAye1roa7c8o1_500.gif

Archived