joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All sleet here at 1600' in NE PA, about 40 miles to the northeast of Scranton in a lake-carved valley on the Pocono/Endless Mountain plateau.

Was expecting to start as snow but didn't see any, though I was driving in from the southeast. Just heavy sleet. Doesn't appear to be too much melting with a low of 25F expected, though that should rise towards morning.

Almost never seen a SWFE start as all sleet. Usually we get a thump of snow, then a much more brief period of sleet before rain and freezing rain. I generally find sleet to be the p-type of shortest duration in these, which makes tonight interesting.

All sleet here at 1600' in NE PA, about 40 miles to the northeast of Scranton in a lake-carved valley on the Pocono/Endless Mountain plateau.

Was expecting to start as snow but didn't see any, though I was driving in from the southeast. Just heavy sleet. Doesn't appear to be too much melting with a low of 25F expected, though that should rise towards morning.

Almost never seen a SWFE start as all sleet. Usually we get a thump of snow, then a much more brief period of sleet before rain and freezing rain. I generally find sleet to be the p-type of shortest duration in these, which makes tonight interesting.

Throw an extra sock on the fire

Yeah, generally at least a burst of snow to start. Enjoy, accumulating sleet is pretty cool.

18.8F/7F  up here.  Temp should temporarily drop with low dews.  No liquid up here but will we change over to sleet or not?  Should add up quickly with fluff factor.  I'll go with 5-8".   Just a bit more and snowmobile trails could open! 

You're area is a solid 6-7" in our forecast, but I'm guessing you probably flirt with taint as the dry slot nears. 13-15z?

Same for Raymond area? Don't like pingers when its 20f.

Pretty much, my last update actually increased snow for ME especially for coastal zones. Could argue for a warning in those areas now. I don't really have taint into ME until the dry slot is on the doorstep.

Now whether I'm right or not...

But I think my reasoning and production of the grids was fairly solid.

Pretty much, my last update actually increased snow for ME especially for coastal zones. Could argue for a warning in those areas now. I don't really have taint into ME until the dry slot is on the doorstep.

Now whether I'm right or not...

But I think my reasoning and production of the grids was fairly solid.

Nice, thanks

Was explaining this to Kevin earlier, but based on the significant dry air on the OKX sounding at 00z precip initially could have started as sleet but had the potential to change to snow before WAA overcame.

post-44-0-72453300-1451358219_thumb.gif

As the column saturates the temp and dewpoint traces will move towards each other. Given no other outside influences they would meet at the blue line (wet bulb) which was a snow sounding at 00z.

Was explaining this to Kevin earlier, but based on the significant dry air on the OKX sounding at 00z precip initially could have started as sleet but had the potential to change to snow before WAA overcame.

OKX.gif

As the column saturates the temp and dewpoint traces will move towards each other. Given no other outside influences they would meet at the blue line (wet bulb) which was a snow sounding at 00z.

Nice. Thanks for the explanation

Archived