joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice eyewall I took mine up this am for my first snow shot of the season lol

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Beautiful.  Looks kind of like mid April in Fort Kent, when folks shovel the old dirty snowpiles into the street so the gravel doesn't wind up on their lawns.

Had -7 this AM, probably 30+ degrees milder by now.

Edit:  Midlo, what's your water source?  Assuming a 30' radius and 25' height, that pile holds almost 200,000 gallons of water!

Beautiful. Looks kind of like mid April in Fort Kent, when folks shovel the old dirty snowpiles into the street so the gravel doesn't wind up on their lawns.

Edit: Midlo, what's your water source? Assuming a 30' radius and 25' height, that pile holds almost 200,000 gallons of water!

Yeah I think you'd have around 200,000 gallons in one acre foot of snowmaking.

^^^

:weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  - triple bunner material right there.  :lmao:

Trying to keep up with DIT driveway shoveling art form

Wow, That's awesome, How long did it hang around before it was melted?

Most years avg is 3/20 last 3 years have been 4/11, 4/11 4/12 unfortunately my yard faces south

Beautiful.  Looks kind of like mid April in Fort Kent, when folks shovel the old dirty snowpiles into the street so the gravel doesn't wind up on their lawns.

Edit:  Midlo, what's your water source?  Assuming a 30' radius and 25' height, that pile holds almost 200,000 gallons of water!

where is used to live I used a well. The water was too warm for my liking so I started using a small creek. That was the best the water. Temp was 37 and easy to make snow . I moved into a neighborhood in 2004 so now I use county water at a cheap rate, it costs less than $200.00 per season. County water in the early season is around 52f late season is mid 40's I built some water chillers that drops me down to mid to upper 30's depending on temps and that has helped big time.

PF. That is pretty close to what I used.

Here is a pick of 1 of my chillers

post-4-0-14550400-1452101733_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-20522800-1452101769_thumb.jpg post-4-0-52534100-1452101803_thumb.jpg

Trying to keep up with DIT driveway shoveling art form

Most years avg is 3/20 last 3 years have been 4/11, 4/11 4/12 unfortunately my yard faces south

where is used to live I used a well. The water was too warm for my liking so I started using a small creek. That was the best the water. Temp was 37 and easy to make snow . I moved into a neighborhood in 2004 so now I use county water at a cheap rate, it costs less than $200.00 per season. County water in the early season is around 52f late season is mid 40's I built some water chillers that drops me down to mid to upper 30's depending on temps and that has helped big time.

PF. That is pretty close to what I used.

Here is a pick of 1 of my chillers

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If you could get that over on the north facing side i bet you could almost get to or could get into May before it was gone

Probably closer to 115K, assuming 3:1 ratio and 8 gal/cu.ft.  Of course, looking at, say, 3 ft on 100 acres - that's why the level of the supply pond is dropping.

Yeah I'm not sure on the math, I just know its a fairly universal value in the industry that 150,000-200,000 gallons of water makes 1 acre foot of snow.

But yeah when you multiply that by the acres and depths that get achieved, its easy to see how ski resorts use 100-150 million gallons a season.

All joking aside, I've been trying to tell those who are ready to swan dive because they bought tickets to go skiing, that it's pretty good now. vT especially. This weekend may suck, but winter is here in NNE.

The quality of skiing this week so far has been obscenely good...in any season.  If you were going to bring 2 feet to a ski area, it happened about as perfectly as it could.  The first storm rolls in with 6" of snow/sleet and 1" QPF to lay the base...then get another 6" worth of nickles and dimes (although some of those were very dense, like 2" to 0.30" QPF during one light elevation event last week)...and finally top it off with a foot of total fluff. 

Speaking of that final event on Sunday into Monday, I forgot to share the COOP numbers:

Sunday 5pm... 0.17" liquid for 2.0" snow.

Monday 5pm... 0.36" liquid for 4.0" snow.

So for the upslope event, the COOP had 6" snow on 0.53 of liquid.  As I had been saying before, the liquid numbers are usually pretty spot on, but the snowfall shows the differences between their wind-swept spot on the ridge and my sheltered snow board in the woods 1,000ft below the ridge.  The snow I saw was at least 20-30:1 ratio stuff, so easy to see how a half inch of QPF would've brought 12" fluff to the sheltered upper east slope.

I really like using the COOP for water, but snow is more of a crapshoot.  And events like these show why the COOP has a 220" average vs. more like 300" with more diligent and sheltered measuring.

Either way, if we just added another half inch of QPF to the snowpack with that upslope event, there's some decent QPF tied up in the snow.  Its not deep by any means (like 15" up high) but it has substance to it.  With that in mind, I think the rain will be ok as it looks short-lived warm sector and quick CAA on the backside.  I think most rain will be absorbed by what snow is on the ground now, anyway as that sleet base is about as durable as it gets.

Yeah I'm not sure on the math, I just know its a fairly universal value in the industry that 150,000-200,000 gallons of water makes 1 acre foot of snow.

But yeah when you multiply that by the acres and depths that get achieved, its easy to see how ski resorts use 100-150 million gallons a season.

My number was merely arithmetic, not real world.  I wonder how much is lost to sublimation, as that huge surface area boosts evaporation even at temps well below 32.  Also, some gets blown into the woods and thus doesn't contribute to the skiable acre-feet.

Looking wintry in Underhill with Nordic Skiers in the park:

12400796_10103055571931269_2803353908206

So cool.  Up to a year or two ago a shot like this would be impossible unless you had a helium balloon or some crazy way to hang a nice cam from a helicopter looking straight down. Picture that field brown and a video with large parachute snowflakes falling down and away from the camera.  Eyewall is going to have fun with his new toy!

So cool.  Up to a year or two ago a shot like this would be impossible unless you had a helium balloon or some crazy way to hang a nice cam from a helicopter looking straight down. Picture that field brown and a video with large parachute snowflakes falling down and away from the camera.  Eyewall is going to have fun with his new toy!

Hahah yeah although I am still debating if there may be some sort of slight lens misalignment as the upper portion, especially left seems a bit softer than the rest of the images. I know some others have complained on the forum. Not sure if I should seek a replacement or if they would even give me one. 

I think this upcoming rainer is definitely going to be a bit of a morale killer, especially when early on there was some hope for a more widespread snow event. The long range doesn't have much outside of weaker disturbances and snow showers for now. I definitely will ski Friday ahead of it.

Yeah.

1,550ft...28F

750ft... 0F

It's the biggest inversion I've seen in our area. We were at 27F, but 300' below in the valley, it was 11F. What I don't understand is on a neighboring hilltop  at nearly the same elevation as our house (730'), but ~1/3mi as a crow flies, the temp was 15F, while we're at 27F. I drive this way to work and it's almost always colder on this hilltop despite it being at the same elevation as our hill.

Down close to zero at our frost pocket.  Yesterday's 43° diurnal range (36/-7) is about as much as I've ever seen in January w/o a serious frontal passage.  Depending on clouds, might approach range of 40 again today - this immediately after the month with the smallest average diurnal range I've recorded.  As Bob Hope would (sort of) say, "Thanks for the irony." 

Archived