• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

I'm going to dynamite those Green Mountains. Just endless snow showers that look like they are coming my way and the Green's eat them up. Maybe with the actual front we can get some flurries over to this side.

I like the looks of the 12Z GFS. Haven't read the board yet to see what the Euro has for late week.

Edit...guess Euro is way west. Best not to look at runs until we are 4 or perhaps 5 days out. On a separate note I don't like the new resolution lines on the GFS. At least on the 850. All the little squiggles. Maybe its good within 24 hours but they are not going to verify days out and makes the maps harder to read.

Way west as in wet?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

This morning’s snow showers only accumulated to a tenth of an inch, but as others have mentioned, the snowfall has been much more robust this afternoon with an additional inch of accumulation.  I’m planning to update with observations and liquid analysis at 6:00 P.M.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

This morning’s snow showers only accumulated to a tenth of an inch, but as others have mentioned, the snowfall has been much more robust this afternoon with an additional inch of accumulation.  I’m planning to update with observations and liquid analysis at 6:00 P.M.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

You've gotta be getting crushed right now.  When the yellows were over the mountain it was pure whiteout.

Jan_3_530pm_zpsljfhffnz.gif

Whiteout now at the mountain...4-5" on the ground

Was up in Woodbury most of the afternoon and it snowed the entire time. When I left just after 4:00, they didn't have quite as much as you but it is very wintry out there. Back roads icy, and I saw a couple of guys ice fishing. Much braver than I am.

We are going to get the same snowfall total as the "big storm" earlier in the week, with about a fifth of the QPF, lol.

Yea, but it only works AFTER you get the slop. You get the fluff first and well...go get the ptex. 

Classic NVT event. Cold air driving warm moist air into the mountains with cold air aloft. 

Couple of flakes here and there today.  Temp a balmy 32F at 745pm.  Coldest I see is 19F in upstate NY.   Did anyone see the article about the northpole going above freezing last week.  Only the 3rd time ever in December and they did it at the end of the month.  50F above normal. Didn't see a thread in the general weather discussion page.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/12/30/freak-storm-has-pushed-north-pole-to-freezing-point-50-degrees-above-normal/

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

You've gotta be getting crushed right now.  When the yellows were over the mountain it was pure whiteout.

Yeah, it was coming down quite hard there for a time – didn’t stack up that high actually simply due to small flake size and graupel component, but I’m sure a lot of the 0.07” of liquid came in that intense period.

We’ve got some decent snow coming down at the moment as well actually with another half inch on the boards.

03JAN16A.gif

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.1

Snow Density: 5.8% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Yeah, it was coming down quite hard there for a time – didn’t stack up that high actually simply due to small flake size and graupel component, but I’m sure a lot of the 0.07” of liquid came in that intense period.

We’ve got some decent snow coming down at the moment as well actually with another half inch on the boards.

Seeing some of that here too...there was a period of it and the snow actually compressed a bit.  I cleared at 1.3" and there's another 1.1" for 2.4" total.  Won't clear again till morning but with some graupel the second stack of this event is losing some loft.

Moisture train continues.

Jan_3_745pm_zpsqd7al2rp.gif

Snowing steadily here in Winooski now and as good as it has all day if not better. Not sure if there is a low froude or not but I do know the disco mentioned favorable trajectories for a Lake Champlain enhancement. 

Looks like there are some light lake enhances flurries out this morning. Light ones just along btv's south end and south BTV and then down into charlotte/addison county

The airport picked up 3.7 inches overnight and looking outside here we definitely picked up a few as well with the overnight snow. This on top of the bulletproof pack from the previous event. I'd say winter has finally found its way here. The new snow is pure fluff and was blown around quite a bit so not sure how accurate a measurement I can get IMBY.

The airport picked up 3.7 inches overnight and looking outside here we definitely picked up a few as well with the overnight snow. This on top of the bulletproof pack from the previous event. I'd say winter has finally found its way here. The new snow is pure fluff and was blown around quite a bit so not sure how accurate a measurement I can get IMBY.

Haha wow out there. Verified warning criteria easy at the mountain.

Wow, nothing but a dusting down here.

Bluebird here but it's undercast in the Champlain Valley...looks like low level snow over your way from my lofty perch.

That is awesome. I wish I didn't have a conference call here shortly or I would get some drone shots of that although it may be too cold.

Archived