joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a video cap from my drone. I had a little bit of a hard landing but everything is ok:

Nice... it looks like you launched right over my base area snow stake and measuring board, haha.  Where you in the Barnes Camp parking lot there at the road closure gate? 

That marshy area there on the lower right where the stream winds through is one of the coldest spots around.  I've always wanted to put a thermometer out in that bog.  Always the last place snow melts at that 1,500ft elevation.

Yes right by the gate is where I launched.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Good spot, you'll get shut down if you try to use the drone at the ski area (in a parking lot or anywhere) but that's public space there at the gate.  But yeah, when I report my 1,550ft snowfall its coming from a spot to the right of that gate in the woods between the parking lot and that bog.

Things look up for the weekend for adding moisture to the snowpack. And it looks like the Buffalo office is pretty bullish for LES next week.  I've heard it said here before, just getting into a moist flow this time of year and roll the dice: 

THE PATTERN BECOMES FAR MORE INTERESTING EARLY NEXT WEEK. THE LONG
ADVERTISED PATTERN CHANGE WILL BE TAKING SHAPE ACROSS NORTH
AMERICA...WITH A STRONG WEST COAST RIDGE ALLOWING AN IMPRESSIVE
LONGWAVE TROUGH TO CARVE OUT ACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF NORTH
AMERICA. THE MEAN PATTERN FOR ALL OF NEXT WEEK WILL FEATURE A DEEP
TROUGH CENTERED IN THE VICINITY OF HUDSON BAY...WITH NUMEROUS HIGH
AMPLITUDE CLIPPER SHORTWAVES MOVING THROUGH THE LONGWAVE TROUGH.
PAST CLIMATOLOGY RESEARCH AND EXPERIENCE SUGGESTS THIS PATTERN CAN
BE VERY ACTIVE FOR HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW IN OUR REGION...AND THIS
APPEARS TO BE THE CASE WITH THIS PATTERN AS WELL.

DEEP COLD AIR SPREADING ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES WILL ALLOW FOR A
STRONG AND DEEP LAKE RESPONSE AT TIMES...WITH THE NUMEROUS MID LEVEL
WAVES PROVIDING LARGE SCALE ASCENT AND DEEPER MOISTURE. THESE WAVES
WILL ALSO BRING CHANGES TO BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW DIRECTION...
SUGGESTING MIGRATING BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW. OBVIOUSLY AT THIS
TIME RANGE THE DETAILS ARE VERY UNCERTAIN...BUT THE LARGE SCALE
PATTERN CERTAINLY SUGGESTS THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING...
SIGNIFICANT...HIGH IMPACT LAKE EFFECT SNOW EAST OF LAKES ERIE AND
ONTARIO THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK. STAY TUNED.

Good spot, you'll get shut down if you try to use the drone at the ski area (in a parking lot or anywhere) but that's public space there at the gate. But yeah, when I report my 1,550ft snowfall its coming from a spot to the right of that gate in the woods between the parking lot and that bog.

Yeah I wasn't going to attempt it on the resort grounds.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

PF, hire eyewall to get really unique shots of the trails with the drone flying over the slopes just above tree level. Actually that's a commercial venture so you need a special license I think.  I want to fly the drone today but worried about 18F temps causing condensation but I'm sure its colder at Stowe and the Phantom had no problem.  Eyewall, I think people break more props in bad landings than anything else.

PF, hire eyewall to get really unique shots of the trails with the drone flying over the slopes just above tree level. Actually that's a commercial venture so you need a special license I think.  I want to fly the drone today but worried about 18F temps causing condensation but I'm sure its colder at Stowe and the Phantom had no problem.  Eyewall, I think people break more props in bad landings than anything else.

I'd do it for a suggested donation :)

PF, hire eyewall to get really unique shots of the trails with the drone flying over the slopes just above tree level. Actually that's a commercial venture so you need a special license I think. I want to fly the drone today but worried about 18F temps causing condensation but I'm sure its colder at Stowe and the Phantom had no problem. Eyewall, I think people break more props in bad landings than anything else.

Haha we've got a couple professional drone videographers that we use. Get some cool skiing shots while being chased by a drone.

The Spine is looking quite white these days looming over town.

Winter has arrived.

Sounds like the pattern is getting to you.

There’s currently a very nice view from the west side as well – looks like the white plastering is focused from ~2,500’ on up over here.  I grabbed a quick shot with the cell phone from the office as the alpenglow is starting.  It should get quite orange within the next hour.

05JAN16A.jpg

Based on the forecast, we should be able to get similar views over the next couple of days ahead of the weekend storminess.

Sounds like the pattern is getting to you.

There’s currently a very nice view from the west side as well – looks like the white plastering is focused from ~2,500’ on up over here.  I grabbed a quick shot with the cell phone from the office as the alpenglow is starting.  It should get quite orange within the next hour.

05JAN16A.jpg

Based on the forecast, we should be able to get similar views over the next couple of days ahead of the weekend storminess.

Was this taken at the St. Mike's overlook?

http://slickdeals.net/f/8422463-dji-phantom-3-quadcopter-aircraft-w-3-axis-gimbal-2-7k-camera-499-more-free-s-h

slick prices on dji stuff hurry up if you want it or want to price match something you bought recently.

The video from today's drone flight in Stowe:

looks great even on my 1080 monitor, must look awesome on a 4k display!

You should balance your props to get rid of the small amount of shake.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8422463-dji-phantom-3-quadcopter-aircraft-w-3-axis-gimbal-2-7k-camera-499-more-free-s-h

slick prices on dji stuff hurry up if you want it or want to price match something you bought recently.

looks great even on my 1080 monitor, must look awesome on a 4k display!

You should balance your props to get rid of the small amount of shake.

How do you balance them?

Jeremy

How do you balance them?

Jeremy

If it's anything like my rc props, you'd buy a prop balancer and use sandpaper and slowly remove plastic off the heavy side (backside of prop). Alternatively, I would brush on clear colored fingernail polish to the light side of the prop.

Not real happy about the 1" RN coming on Sunday. When's the pattern change???

I’ll try to post a few pictures from the outing when I get a chance.

I’ve got a few snow-related shots from Monday’s Bolton Valley outing below, with additional images in the full report at our website.

Roughly 8” new above 3,000’ at the Wilderness Summit:

04JAN16A.jpg

Total snowpack at ~2,700’ was 14-15”:

04JAN16C.jpg

With the growing snowpack, brush is now much less evident on the natural snow trails:

04JAN16B.jpg

I guess we’ll just have to see how much frozen can be pulled out of the weekend system and how the pack handles it, but the subsequent storms look like they’ll definitely be helping out.

Archived