• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December Banter Thread

H2O

If climate warming brings me extreme snow and cold, I will start leaving my car running in my driveway overnight.

I'm happy for you, that is the kind of mindset we need....(sarc)

Warmest December on record is not definitely not 1889. That needs quality control asap, otherwise that means arctic amplification has been ongoing since the 1900s. It's possible but I remain skeptical.

The big giveaway is that you no longer see top 20 below normal summers.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy for you, that is the kind of mindset we need....(sarc)

Warmest December on record is not definitely not 1889. That needs quality control asap, otherwise that means arctic amplification has been ongoing since the 1900s. It's possible but I remain skeptical.

The big giveaway is that you no longer see top 20 below normal summers.

Feel free to check. It's tied with 1984 at DC. On its own at Baltimore. #2 at Baltimore is 1931.

Gotta love that 500-mb closed 594-dm high off the NC coast on the 384 hour GFS!  What an eyesore.  In July, that would be Gawd-awful sweltering.  In December...well, I just don't know what to call it that would be polite in mixed company!

What is the record warmest December for DCA (IAD, and BWI), if anyone knows offhand?  Double-digit positive anomaly?  Apologies if someone put that down on a previous page in here.  I do recall December 2011 was over +5 for the month, but don't know how close to the top that was.  We can easily outdo that one at the rate things are going now, given the current indications.

Feel free to check. It's tied with 1984 at DC. On its own at Baltimore. #2 at Baltimore is 1931.

In hindsight, 1889-2015 is a not very large window for weather data. It would be possible for single months to buckle the agw trend, depending on what metric you use. I believe AGW shows up most significantly locally in summer temps and high daily minimums. (Such as 60 degree low in December and 50, 90 degree days during the summer).

Meanwhile, blizzard warnings for southern Alaska

We'll have heat advisories here in the next week! :lmao:

Actually, along similar lines, there have been a couple or so air quality alerts in recent days.  In December!  You don't see that often, I don't believe, which says something.  Stagnant, warm, and dry...very reminiscent of late summer almost.

Gotta love that 500-mb closed 594-dm high off the NC coast on the 384 hour GFS!  What an eyesore.  In July, that would be Gawd-awful sweltering.  In December...well, I just don't know what to call it that would be polite in mixed company!

What is the record warmest December for DCA (IAD, and BWI), if anyone knows offhand?  Double-digit positive anomaly?  Apologies if someone put that down on a previous page in here.  I do recall December 2011 was over +5 for the month, but don't know how close to the top that was.  We can easily outdo that one at the rate things are going now, given the current indications.

For BWI:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/33026-our-regions-extreme-run/page-15#entry3790218

I have 1889 as #3 at Baltimore in my spreadsheet...

Top 5 I have are:

1931: 45.7 degrees

1923: 45.4 degrees

1889: 45.1 degrees

1984: 44.1 degrees

1881 & 1877: 43.8 degrees

hmm yeah LWX has a different number than ACIS

mA7kh3J.gif

Was 45.6 at DC that month so makes you wonder if it would have been warmer in Balt... Maybe an error.

I lovin' this weather!  But my flip flops and shorts are all packed up.

I'm moving to a new place on Thursday and haven't been able to determine if the rain that day is going to be the annoying drizzle kind, or the soaking downpour kind.  If it's a crapload of precip, I may reschedule the movers.

Where can I pull up that info for the KTMN area?

I lovin' this weather!  But my flip flops and shorts are all packed up.

I'm moving to a new place on Thursday and haven't been able to determine if the rain that day is going to be the annoying drizzle kind, or the soaking downpour kind.  If it's a crapload of precip, I may reschedule the movers.

Where can I pull up that info for the KTMN area?

Hi love! Go here: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=w54

put KTMN into the Site field to see the outputs from GFS and NAM. Will give you precip amounts. 

Hope you've been well! <3 

Hi love! Go here: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=w54

put KTMN into the Site field to see the outputs from GFS and NAM. Will give you precip amounts. 

Hope you've been well! <3 

Hi Sweetness!  I've been freakishly busy.  Thus, my being M.I.A. around here.  Packing up a house sucks!  I'm sure you remember what it's like.  If I recall correctly, you moved during crappy weather. Or was that was a Birthday Party?

Thank you for the link.  NAM is showing what appears to be drizzle. GFS, over an inch of precip on the 17th. :axe:

Split the difference?  Half inch? 

Hi Sweetness!  I've been freakishly busy.  Thus, my being M.I.A. around here.  Packing up a house sucks!  I'm sure you remember what it's like.  If I recall correctly, you moved during crappy weather. Or was that was a Birthday Party?

Thank you for the link.  NAM is showing what appears to be drizzle. GFS, over an inch of precip on the 17th. :axe:

Split the difference?  Half inch? 

LOL i got married during a snowstorm, not crappy weather for me, but for others yes. :) 

how soon in advance do you need to cancel if it does rain?

Archived