• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

Winter weather outside of the mountains seems to always strike near the end of a cold pattern and right before the switch to warm/seasonal. Minus some of the golden years. I just can't see any lock to the cold air this winter with such an active southern stream, I think it's going to come in brief narrow windows. :snowwindow:

That's probably the way it will turn out. There have been rare periods, like Burger mentioned, where we have had a real winter pattern locked in. How nice would it be to see something like that now that we have a weather community to follow it.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first weeklies run of the season that shows cold in the east...Not one run previous run ever had 2m temps BN for any day.

Mack - do I get credit for a positive post? I have had like 10 posts today, 8 positive and 2 negative, I am keeping score.

Nice post! Baby steps , just like our pattern change! Much more positive posts today! Good work! It's back to work Monday, hope to have something to track by then!

That's probably the way it will turn out. There have been rare periods, like Burger mentioned, where we have had a real winter pattern locked in. How nice would it be to see something like that now that we have a weather community to follow it.

Mod+ blocky nino's are like gold for us, but right now it's a pile of cow dung.   I am expecting more than 1 week of a good pattern, I will settle for two.  Most crappy nina's we get 2 week of a good pattern spread out over the winter, so worst case we should get that, so we got that going for us.

But to appease Mack I have to post the Feb cansips temp/precip, after all it's Jan forecast is going to verify ....#FabFeb

1 winter storm in January, 1 in February, and 2 in March would be a great winter with no real winter pattern locked in whatsoever. It can be done, and that is more of a norm compared to a "lock" like in '09/10. That's why I'm not too worried about the LR looking like crap.

FWIW: JB said this morning he thinks we will have a 30-45 days maybe 75 days run on winter in the SE. when it starts in January he has said he thinks Feb would be the best month of the winter, but it could get started earlier than he first thought? And good chance it runs into March this year as well............. But he may change a little if the weeklies look that bad tonight! lol

Mod+ blocky nino's are like gold for us, but right now it's a pile of cow dung. I am expecting more than 1 week of a good pattern, I will settle for two. Most crappy nina's we get 2 week of a good pattern spread out over the winter, so worst case we should get that, so we got that going for us.

But to appease Mack I have to post the Feb cansips temp/precip, after all it's Jan forecast is going to verify ....#FabFeb

If Winter turns out like that, we will all be happy and remember this is one of the best in a long, long while.

1 winter storm in January, 1 in February, and 2 in March would be a great winter with no real winter pattern locked in whatsoever. It can be done, and that is more of a norm compared to a "lock" like in '09/10. That's why I'm not too worried about the LR looking like crap.

I like snow at any time, but March is a bit sketchy, as it favors the NW areas and doesn't stick around long. I'd rather get the lion's share of wintry weather in late Dec through early Feb, as if I have any control over such things. :)

This type of scenario could happen in the upcoming pattern change

I remember that one as a young child

73' epic storm has been on my card since September.  Something just screams big snow in areas of the coast.  73 was also a strong nino year if I'm not mistaken.

No, no I do not...haha.

It's truncated but not in the sense of last GFS OP.

From what I can find:

Old GFS: 0-240hr 27km, 240hr+ 84km

New GFS: 0-240hr 13km, 240hr+ 35km

So 240+ is actually pretty close to the old resolution of 0-240hrs but not quite.

Yeah, plus back in the day it used to truncate at hr 192, as well (guess that's been a few years ago now).

Anyways, see you guys on the other side. Time for New Year's festivities, then I'm off to Phoenix tomorrow!

This type of scenario could happen in the upcoming pattern change

kclxt0g.jpg

I remember that one as a young child

Lived the SE part of the state at the time.  Was about 10yrs old when it hit.  Started snowing around 7pm on a Friday night and poured it on for 24hrs straight.  One heck of a memory. 

Lived the SE part of the state at the time. Was about 10yrs old when it hit. Started snowing around 7pm on a Friday night and poured it on for 24hrs straight. One heck of a memory.

Absolutely.... Remember stray flakes showing up during the day at school that Friday and the snow started in earnest after sunset.

24 hours later Saturday night it was still coming down. I remember taking a break from watching Saturday Night Live late Saturday evening and there were some of the the largest wind blown flakes I have ever witnessed with 3 to 4 foot drifts. It was a big one.

FWIW: JB said this morning he thinks we will have a 30-45 days maybe 75 days run on winter in the SE. when it starts in January he has said he thinks Feb would be the best month of the winter, but it could get started earlier than he first thought? And good chance it runs into March this year as well............. But he may change a little if the weeklies look that bad tonight! lol

I'm not a meterologist i just enjoy cold and snow .From what i've read and heard on Weatherbell free site and Joe Bastardi twitter we should be startibg winter hear in SE soon.

That being said I was wondering what does JB mean change a little if the weeklies look that bad.

I'm not a meterologist i just enjoy cold and snow .From what i've read and heard on Weatherbell free site and Joe Bastardi twitter we should be startibg winter hear in SE soon.

That being said I was wondering what does JB mean change a little if the weeklies look that bad.

No JB didn't say that, I did, in a joking manner...... He hasn't changed at all his thinking.

From looking at the ensembles I'm encouraged by what I see. The GEFS is continuing to trend closer to the Euro ensembles, the January 10th pattern locking in for the SE looks on track and potential for a SE snow/ice storm in the January 10-15 is high, imo. I've thought for awhile that this could be our first snow and still think we have a good shot. Going through the individual Euro ensembles I counted 22 on the 00z run showing some type of accumulating snow in part of NC, today's run at 12z I counted 23 members so a slight improvement. Most of the ones which show snow are 4" events or light dustings. There were also 6-7 near misses just to our north in VA. What we want to watch now is how the ensembles trend as we get closer to this time period and how the ensembles trend. If we get more on board then you can begin to get excited once inside 200 hours.

There's something wrong with those temperature images on tropical tidbits for the Cansips. Don't know what it is, but it's common for the temp output on there to not match the 5h. Anyway, on StormVista, the Cansips has -1 to -3 for Jan and normal temps for Feb & Mar, which looks more realistic based on the 5h pattern. Of course, it could be completely wrong.

There's something wrong with those temperature images on tropical tidbits for the Cansips. Don't know what it is, but it's common for the temp output on there to not match the 5h. Anyway, on StormVista, the Cansips has -1 to -3 for Jan and normal temps for Feb & Mar, which looks more realistic based on the 5h pattern. Of course, it could be completely wrong.

Yea on SV it looks very typical Ninoish for Feb/March 

Ian has asked SV about it last month and he got a response to the effect that TD wasn't calculating correctly.

They don't have precip. TD does for Feb and Mar.

Yeah. I was just wondering if SV precip maps were diff or the same in trying to figure out which is right. I sorta remember this being discussed last month or the one before and I "thought" it was decided that Tropical Tidbits was right. But I could have dreamed it at my age. Lol

Absolutely.... Remember stray flakes showing up during the day at school that Friday and the snow started in earnest after sunset.

24 hours later Saturday night it was still coming down. I remember taking a break from watching Saturday Night Live late Saturday evening and there were some of the the largest wind blown flakes I have ever witnessed with 3 to 4 foot drifts. It was a big one.

SNL had not yet aired (1975 debut), but I do  remember distinctly watching 'You're a Good man Charlie Brown' on Friday evening as the snow was coming down. Not a cartoon but a stage play show on TV.

Kept going to the back door and switching on the porch light to see copious amounts of flakes growing heavier and heavier. I was hooked.

00z gfs hr 300..... compared to 18z.... night and day

​Starts at hour 174 00z gfs quicker and further south with low pressure 00z gfs never looks back

at 204 00z gfs has a low transition off hatteras 18z not even close to that...and that's the major change the low goes ots and allows cold air to pull south its a lot colder

by 300 its a lot colder than previous run

18 gfs western Nebraska is sitting at 14 degrees....on the 00z its at -29 degrees  similar change for NC as well

Archived