• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

Now all we need is consistency and for other models to begin catching on, then someone can start the thread if all that happens. It's amazing how much of a difference there was in one run at only 132 hours out.

Exactly. As I mentioned earlier you cannot trust just one model run. This is the time frame the euro really shines.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the 00z GEFS took a step towards the Euro ensembles, much cooler D11-15 while Euro ensembles hold serve. Looks better and better for the cold to move in January 10-11 as the indices tank the next week or so. Good trends indeed :)

The best thing I see about this morning's runs is that the 6Z GEFS caved to the Euro ENS in bringing the lower heights east and getting rid of the eastern ridging.  I believe we now have a consensus on that, when just a few days ago it was the other way around. Aleutian low looks to be in a much better position under 300 hours.  Nice setup indeed for early-mid January.  Ducks on the pond, players on the field, dig baby dig, etc...

C5LiZZ2.png

Consistent from Alaska to Greenland  :)

What's up with this?  Not even Jan yet and calling for no help from strat on HLB until March?  Based on what he is saying we would need to see SSWE now for effect in early Feb?  Obviously he is way smarter than me but I don't get this at all. Granted, this doesn't mean anything unless we actually get a SSWE, LOL.  09 and 10 split end of Jan that produced strong blocking in Feb.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/682565950042992640

What's up with this?  Not even Jan yet and calling for no help from strat on HLB until March?  Based on what he is saying we would need to see SSWE now for effect in early Feb?  Obviously he is way smarter than me but I don't get this at all. Granted, this doesn't mean anything unless we actually get a SSWE, LOL.  09 and 10 split end of Jan that produced strong blocking in Feb.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/682565950042992640

Complex subject.  Feb seems to do well with -AO in ninos regardless.  04-05 and 06-07 both similar to this year with +QBO and neutral to borderline low solar flux...both with -AO Feb.  07 had SSW, 05 didn't.

Let's compare the 36 hours of runs for the 10-15 period on GEFS...consistent don't you think.

Even the mini torch is gone from the 0z 850mb EPS temperature anomaly. 0-5, 6-10, and 11-15 are all normal to colder than normal for Tennessee.  For the southeast, only the 0-5 is above normal (1-2c), the 6-10 below normal, and 11-15 MUCH below normal. 

Additionally, day 11 0z EPS is showing a cluster of lows along the central gulf coast.

Like the way CFS finished out the month for Jan temps...slightly below normal for SE with suppressed storm track...

Today's run was extremely important. With a 0 day lead, the CFSv2 does decently enough [w/ skill of 0.4-0.7 (correlation) or so I believe, hard to tell with the skill maps]

It's done very well this fall and for December....but when it comes to Jan, and out of the last 4 winters, it nailed only two, as seen in the image below: 

Jan 2015 - too warm over SE

Jan 2014 - nailed it

Jan 2013 - too cold over SE

Jan 2012 - nailed it

icHY59W.png

Let's hope this is a year it nails January and not a year it's too warm...honestly in the image you posted above, Jan 30 isn't even that bad...normal or slightly above normal for most of the SE (0.5) that's not bad for an El Nino pattern. Today's run just got that much better. I'm leaning towards a "nailed it" result for the CFSv2 this January simply based on the look it spit out today. Not too oppressively cold or warm for the SE.

Even the mini torch is gone from the 0z 850mb EPS temperature anomaly. 0-5, 6-10, and 11-15 are all normal to colder than normal for Tennessee.  For the southeast, only the 0-5 is above normal (1-2c), the 6-10 below normal, and 11-15 MUCH below normal. 

Additionally, day 11 0z EPS is showing a cluster of lows along the central gulf coast.

Yeah, I just mentioned that in the banter thread.  EPS say what warmth, it's cold, then neutral then really cold. 

Today's run was extremely important. With a 0 day lead, the CFSv2 does decently enough [w/ skill of 0.4-0.7 (correlation) or so I believe, hard to tell with the skill maps]

It's done very well this fall and for December....but when it comes to Jan, and out of the last 4 winters, it nailed only two, as seen in the image below: 

Jan 2015 - too warm over SE

Jan 2014 - nailed it

Jan 2013 - too cold over SE

Jan 2012 - nailed it

Let's hope this is a year it nails January and not a year it's too warm...honestly in the image you posted above, Jan 30 isn't even that bad...normal or slightly above normal for most of the SE (0.5) that's not bad for an El Nino pattern. Today's run just got that much better. I'm leaning towards a "nailed it" result for the CFSv2 this January simply based on the look it spit out today. Not too oppressively cold or warm for the SE.

Agreed, I think it does fairly well when you blend the last few runs of the month.  Slightly BN with suppressed storm track would do fine, more fine for the mountains.  We will get our fair share of 35F rains but hopefully 1 or 2 are just cold enough.

Today's run just got that much better. I'm leaning towards a "nailed it" result for the CFSv2 this January simply based on the look it spit out today. Not too oppressively cold or warm for the SE.

Thanks for putting that information together Jon, nicely done!  I am curious to see how it does too.  If it struggles, it won't surprise me, as there is a rather large scale pattern change underway.  It wouldn't surprise me if it's underdone on the cold for the southeast and other parts of North America.    

The best thing I see about this morning's runs is that the 6Z GEFS caved to the Euro ENS in bringing the lower heights east and getting rid of the eastern ridging.  I believe we now have a consensus on that, when just a few days ago it was the other way around. Aleutian low looks to be in a much better position under 300 hours.  Nice setup indeed for early-mid January.  Ducks on the pond, players on the field, dig baby dig, etc...

C5LiZZ2.png

Crazy what an ensemble model can spit out in only 24 hours time.  

Wq3nqUe.png

Day 12+ is a straight freezer on the 12z GFS..

Yep a very stable trough in the East. I would not rule out something like this according to the indices.

Stating the obvious, but that should be a period of heightened interest.  The preceding system coming out of the southwest is likely more of a player north of our forum IMO, but not out of the question.

Stating the obvious, but that should be a period of heightened interest. The preceding system coming out of the southwest is likely more of a player north of our forum IMO, but not out of the question.

Yeah that period is very interesting and would not be surprised if something popped up once we get closer to that period that's not being shown currently.

12z GEFS looking better with a potent EC trough and a picture perfect block over the top. This is why you trust the indices and not wacky 06z runs (i.e. yesterday's runs). Expect the trend to continue, no chance IMO this flips. Strong signal.

bea2e5c74c0f3bbb0a936d1bef02adcc.jpg

12z GEFS looking better with a potent EC trough and a picture perfect block over the top. This is why you trust the indices and not wacky 06z runs (i.e. yesterday's runs). Expect the trend to continue, no chance IMO this flips. Strong signal.

bea2e5c74c0f3bbb0a936d1bef02adcc.jpg

I agree Jon, when the model shows indices opposite of what it's actual forecast depiction is, something is not right and has to give, this time it is the actual forecast depiction not the indices

Archived