• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Winter Pattern Discussion

The cold source is over South Dakota, so I agree classic cold chasing moisture haha...It's ok we have another threat to watch hour 384  :lmao:

Anything we get at the end of the month in the way of cold, even seasonable cold, is a bonus. A cold Christmas would be amazing. 

starting to think the cold Christmas is at least on the table for most of us.  Nothing really looks like a torch.  Ok, maybe just seasonal and anything more would be gravy

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The +AO is going to kill any chances of a cold east this winter. With the PAC low over AK the PNA/EPO isn't going to help. We need some strat help and it has such a long way to go it's useless even looking at LR ensembles. The warmth is nice though, feels great outside and maybe with such a strong ridge in the east that it will push rain events to the OHV. The good news is since the pattern is so bad the next few weeks we don't have to worry about having hope. I still think Feb will gives an event or two...was thinking mid-Jan but that looks very doubtful.

The +AO is going to kill any chances of a cold east this winter. With the PAC low over AK the PNA/EPO isn't going to help. We need some strat help and it has such a long way to go it's useless even looking at LR ensembles. The warmth is nice though, feels great outside and maybe with such a strong ridge in the east that it will push rain events to the OHV. The good news is since the pattern is so bad the next few weeks we don't have to worry about having hope. I still think Feb will gives an event or two...was thinking mid-Jan but that looks very doubtful.

I'm really beginning to hate high SAIs and SCEs.

I'm really beginning to hate high SAIs and SCEs.

SAI/SCE are for suckers....which we are :-)

Little doubt of another winter mean +AO. Probably see intermittent blocking in Feb, I hope. If not it couple be a long long time before we get another winter that would be considered a "snowy" background.

Agreed.  It's the crazy +AO that is the fly in the analog ointment this year I think.  There is ALWAYS some difference, some specific condition, that makes general and wide brushing analog comparisons ineffective  IMO.  The irony is it's not necessarily the stong nino that's the problem, it's the stratospheric hurricane above the north pole that's overpowering the pattern.

Looks like the Dec 20th cold will get here...some thought the entire month would torch. However transient the cold will be, it's coming...so enjoy this weekend, next weekend will be polar opposite.

CmCdrFz.png

We are at +7 through Dec 10th and next 7 days looks to average close to +18F. We will be approaching record Dec warmth, the cool shot is transient but I don't know if we go back to the +15F range, we shall see.

So far we have had 2 days below 32F and GEFS shows 2 more, wonder what the record is for fewest. We have to be close.

We are at +7 through Dec 10th and next 7 days looks to average close to +18F. We will be approaching record Dec warmth, the cool shot is transient but I don't know if we go back to the +15F range, we shall see.

Yeah by entire month torch I mean no cold shots, not the average anomaly of the month. So yeah, we'll see...overall very warm.

Yeah by entire month torch I mean no cold shots, not the average anomaly of the month. So yeah, we'll see...overall very warm.

If models playout as they are showing its and end to end torch. 3-4 days out of 31 slightly BN doesn't change that. It was expected although even this is surprising me on the deltas.

The massive ridge on the CFSv2 for January has taken a beating...baby steps. Clear ridge is moving north with time and heights over AK increasing. We should hopefully see this continue throughout the month, and a trough become more apparent over the south and east.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201601.gif

So far we have had 2 days below 32F and GEFS shows 2 more, wonder what the record is for fewest. We have to be close.

Your way off. RDU is + 3.4 for the month through December 10 per Raleigh NWS. Where do you get +7 from?

Archived