Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, your right about the forcing. I've been keeping an eye on that for over a month. I recall discussions about basin wide ninos having the bulk of it just east of 180 in the ENSO thread. It sure seems to be where we are this year as illustrated below. This year is west of 1998 and even 1983.

attachicon.gifOlrChiVdiv_tp200hPa_20160108.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't research suggest west-based Ninos correlate to snowier than average winters in the East?

Elucidate....

Yeah, your right about the forcing. I've been keeping an eye on that for over a month. I recall discussions about basin wide ninos having the bulk of it just east of 180 in the ENSO thread. It sure seems to be where we are this year as illustrated below. This year is west of 1998 and even 1983.

attachicon.gifOlrChiVdiv_tp200hPa_20160108.gif

There you go. I refuse to debate the ENSO state any further. It is what it is and some warm trolls, here, refuse to recognize it. That being said, regions 1,1.2 are decreasing temp more quickly than regions 3 and 4. This has  predictably setup tropical forcing in a position which favors keeping the Alaska low over the Aleutians. This promotes ridging in the west and troughiness in the east. PB has explained this many times. The laws of physics should not allow for the second half of this winter to be anywhere close to as warm as December and given the wild perturbations going on in troposphere and stratosphere, we could really remain N to BN through a good portion of March, especially if there is an SSW, which is always a long shot, but there is some evidence pointing to one occurring in the next 2 weeks.

post-4037-0-92636500-1452439549_thumb.pn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't research suggest west-based Ninos correlate to snowier than average winters in the East?

From what I've read, they are known for that. Thats not what this year is though. This year is basin wide, west based would be even further west than where it is now. There really hasn't been a super nino like this, its what makes this year so interesting. Basin wide, though, is certainly better than east based if you want winter. The ENSO thread is full of composites that show that.

Agreed it'd be terrifying but oh well gotta play again since nobody one yet. Could we see the first billionaire from lottery winnings?

Probably not. You only win 62% of the pot. Then 25% gets taken out for federal taxes. Then using New York as an example, something like 8.8% state tax gets taken out.

We don't want a strong -NAO. That would shunt the storms to our south. You are already giving up a storm for the coast 162 + hours out? Jeez.

Thing is, it seems right now that every time a precipitation maker is in the area we warm up and rain. Even for Tuesday, the NWS has me at 42 with rain showers possible before 10 PM followed by possible snow showers afterward. Then again, last year seemed pretty horrible before it wasn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, either or. Either it stays far enough away to not interfere with our storm, or it speeds up and phases with it and induces a BECS. I'll take either solution (even if it means rain for me in Boston in the latter case).

What's a BECS? I've heard of HECS, SECS, and MECS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cash sum you would receive is the present value of the annuity. The annuity would pay out the 1.3 billion after thirty years, adjusted for cost of living increases. Discount that 1.3 billion dollar future value back to the present and you get the cash payout. Then subtract your taxes.

January to date is +1.8 or a surplus of(9*1.8) 16degs.  According to the GFSx [much maligned] the next 8 days will average about +5 to +6 or about another 40-48deg. surplus.   This would put us near (60/17)  or about +4 by the morning of the 18th.

Goal:  Stay below +5.3 for the whole month, so that Jan. can at least feel like the stolen Dec.!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

January to date is +1.8 or a surplus of(9*1.8) 16degs. According to the GFSx [much maligned] the next 8 days will average about +5 to +6 or about another 40-48deg. surplus. This would put us near (60/17) or about +4 by the morning of the 18th.

Goal: Stay below +5.3 for the whole month, so that Jan. can at least feel like the stolen Dec.!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

How are you getting a 5-6 above 8 day average from that?

How are you getting a 5-6 above 8 day average from that?

Look at the predictions.   Only 2 days are a little below the normal of 31-32.   Today alone wipes that out and then some.   The positives simply outweigh the negative.    And looking at the last 14 days of the month, starting with the 18th., below normal seems dubious.  Period from 1/20---2/20 could be a tossup with a positive bias, if that SSWE does not occur.  We remain outside the band of the cold air and next to an above normal SST regime.

Archived