joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On this image the GFS shows a 1019mb low. How can that be a low. I thought generally anything above 1015mb is considered a high pressure.gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

The threshold is actually 1019.5 mb.

Lol. Always loved that made up crap.

I mean, if you can identify a recognized model bias, then you should obviously account for that in your forecasts... but the "snow is more likely when models don't show it" business is just appalling bad logic.

The main difference between today's GFS runs and yesterday's is that the Jan 16th noreaster is stronger and the Miller A fails to bomb out in the Gulf. The secondary low slows down as it bombs out, enough to slightly hold back the energy in the Gulf. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that a secondary low is going to to bomb out without any fresh, cold air. It never even phases. I also have a hard time believing that kind of energy in the Gulf is simply going to fizzle out during a Super El Nino with juiced up STJ. During an El Nino year, you'd expect this setup would steer any low pressure up Appalachians with rain for us. I think the models are struggling with the Jan 16th storm, so I wouldn't completely rule out the Miller A just yet.

Its one thing for us plow guys here, its another for the communities in ny,vt, and nh the rely on snow to get people into there areas. Without snow they dont have any money coming in. Bad news

Pretty much everyone in the NE will struggle in some way or another. At least it's cold enough for ski resorts to make snow but those who depend on income/extra income for other services ain't gonna be too happy.

Its one thing for us plow guys here, its another for the communities in ny,vt, and nh the rely on snow to get people into there areas. Without snow they dont have any money coming in. Bad news

Used to go through the same stuff in the fishing business, which was also quite weather dependent and spurred my interest in weather. Any wind from the south or southeast was a killer, and northeast was too dangerous....I finally gave up on it but one guy stuck it out and he is on Wicked Tuna these days. Maybe we can make a reality show with snow weenies....talking with their therapists in a snowless winter while gobsmacked viewers look on incredulously as grown men cry over a lack of snow...

I'll make a deal with you Mother Nature. Just one storm this winter but make it an all-time blizzard. A two-day storm complete with thunder and lightning + 2 - 3 feet of wet snow,with a bullseye of 40 inches somewhere in the metro area. Do that and I won't complain if you hit us with 20 consecutive days of 90 degrees in the summer. This has been a message from a New Yorker who misses and loves snow

I'll make a deal with you Mother Nature. Just one storm this winter but make it an all-time blizzard. A two-day storm complete with thunder and lightning + 2 - 3 feet of wet snow,with a bullseye of 40 inches somewhere in the metro area. Do that and I won't complain if you hit us with 20 consecutive days of 90 degrees in the summer. This has been a message from a New Yorker who misses and loves snow

Wet snow would mean temps in the lower 30s. I rather low to mid 20s. Better snow ratio, easier to plow.

Archived