joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Sunday night into Monday most here will see some light snow .

As SLP stays well off shore there is a mid level disturbance will be heading through the region.

Some moisture should get captured and an IVT could develop for a lucky few .

The feature becomes more evident once into New England but as it stands now there is a chance that feature sets up over a small area before lifting N . For the rest of us there is the chance of light snow falling through -12 air at 850.

So there may be a few areas that pick up 1 to 2.

I'm leaving for Vermont tomorrow afternoon under the basis that it is not going to snow in the city. If it snows more then an inch I need to be in the city for snow removal. I was under the assumption that this threat was dead. Give me your honest % chance of greater then an inch falling in the city.

I'm leaving for Vermont tomorrow afternoon under the basis that it is not going to snow in the city. If it snows more then an inch I need to be in the city for snow removal. I was under the assumption that this threat was dead. Give me your honest % chance of greater then an inch falling in the city.

There will be an IVT that heads into SNE. There is some bending of the isobars back towards LI before it heads N .

There's probably instability light snow around Sunday night , right now I would go , any accumulation will be light and fluffy and would blow away or melt Monday AM once the sun comes up.

There will be an IVT that heads into SNE. There is some bending of the isobars back towards LI before it heads N .

There's probably instability light snow around Sunday night , right now I would go , any accumulation will be light and fluffy and would blow away or melt Monday AM once the sun comes up.

Ok good. If it's not going to be real deal snow it's not worth the couple hours I would get for salting. I'm still on your side with a good (possibly great) February

It's the first since Alice (December 1954-January 1955). From the NHC:

#Alex is the first January #hurricane to form since 1938 and the first to occur in this month since Alice of 1955.

Always seeing something rare nowadays. Strongest January hurricane and only the 2nd to form in January that poses a significant threat to the Azores.

So this is for the time frame of the snow storm the GFS has?

I don't have access to the euro op where I'm at but I'm assuming it is still slow ejecting the energy out of the west/southwest again which is a known bias of that model. Best to use the EPS when they come out later which have been signaling the Jan 22-23 even the past several runs.

Doctor No has spoken, lol. I will wait for the EPS at this range however. Expectations are tempered. If we still are seeing a storm come 12z Sunday suite, then its time to track :-)

Yeah, at this range you just look for an overall active pattern, for now we can focus on the all the more imminent threats ;)

I would like to see how the new parallel handles it, but it hasn't updated for a couple of days.

The EPS at 0z didn't hang the low back like to old OP. It looked like the old OP was the outlier

among the ensembles.

That was not the typical Euro bias either on the 12Z run, that was simply an overdig that then got caught and cutoff to an extent.  My guess is this system ejects much faster in the end, still no guarantee that ends up as a snowy scenario although its hard to believe it does not at least start as snow everywhere if something comes out before 170 hours with that high in place.

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_mgram.php?stn=NewYork&mod=gfs&run=12&var=prcp〈=en&map=us

Nice to look at the chart, but would better to be able to make some snowballs from it.  

Are the projected MJO phase and teleconnections in line with this outcome?   I think the CMC has something at this time too, but not the 0Z Euro.*

I will answer this myself. Near the 23rd.

MJO strong going from Phase 1 to 2.   Not certain if this is good/bad in Jan. for storms.

AO and NAO are near the neutral zone, going from - to +, and this is Very Good.

PNA weakening from strong positive, Good I think.

*12Z Euro has no phasing and is much warmer than CMC and GFS at the key time frame, with cold air going bye-bye. (withdrawal symptoms) into ne Canada.

Archived