joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the NHC cone is in a good spot at this point, forecast wise.

I'm quite skeptical of the tracks into North Carolina and and to a lesser degree Virginia, for the simple reason that joaquin will not be transitioning into an extratropical system, as an intensifying hurricane south of North Carolina's latitude...We've seen this movie before. It just doesn't happen, when a developing tropical cyclone is over 80F+ water, and within a very moist/tropical environment.

To discern when the left hook will occur, we have to think about when he'll begin the extra-tropical/hybrid transition, and in terms of climatology, that's typically somewhere between the latitude of Virginia and Southern New Jersey...

I would think the (possible) hook would happen bc of Joaquin getting captured. When it gets captured, it would then slowly start to transition to a hybrid as it hooked on into the coast.

What I'm saying is, Joaquin will never get "captured" as a robust tropical system, within a tropical environment. 

It will move through the height field "path" (weakness) as an independent entity, until it begins to lose some of its tropical characteristics...

Archived