joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of any hurricane or subtropical storm that's ever slammed into the DelMarVa before... horrific flooding would be in order if that would occur. Let's face it, much of the Northeast's infrastructure is so old and cheaply replaced, I'm willing to bet that there will be at least a handful of cities that will be without power post-Halloween if this storm makes landfall and drops the amount of rain some models are predicting.

I've always wondered what kind of surge impact there would be for Philly with a landfall over Ocean City, MD or south of Delaware Bay. That would be a huge funneling of water into the bay and up the Delaware River. With Sandy they were lucky, because the winds were northerly over Delaware Bay and pushed water away. I was in Philly a week after Sandy, it wasn't a huge deal there at all. 

I've always wondered what kind of surge impact there would be for Philly with a landfall over Ocean City, MD or south of Delaware Bay. That would be a huge funneling of water into the bay and up the Delaware River. With Sandy they were lucky, because the winds were northerly over Delaware Bay and pushed water away. I was in Philly a week after Sandy, it wasn't a huge deal there at all. 

I live just NW of the city and was thinking the exact same thing. a Delmarva landfall is the worst case for Philly and NJ, the shore would get absolutely rocked on the NW side by storm surge and wind. As for Philly, the rain combined with the Delaware River would be significantly worse than Sandy (wind was only real issue for PA in Sandy)

Good points.  After 3 days without power in the Edison area, we simply decided to get a hotel room in Philly for a few nights (we had plans there for that Friday night anyway) and after two nights in Philly, we got word our power was back on, so we went home.  Philly had very little damage, as it was too far inland for major winds and rainfall was light.  

Think providence in 38

Question: With Joaquin rapidly strengthening would that cause the storm to track further N/E? Possibly causing a larger impact for us?

Yes. It would allow the storm to possibly move at a quicker pace up the eastern seaboard and be captured further north.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Woooooooowwwwww!!!! When was the last time we saw those colors!!! That's a cane for sure

This reminds me a lot of how Katrina really intensified as it moved sw or wsw over Florida before heading west then north....I have noticed when tropical systems head southwest or west southwest they seem to really strengthen.

This reminds me a lot of how Katrina really intensified as it moved sw or wsw over Florida before heading west then north....I have noticed when tropical systems head southwest or west southwest they seem to really strengthen.

I think it's more that he's sitting in a bathtub with oceanic heat content at record levels there. Kind of like the loop current an Katrina

I think it's more that he's sitting in a bathtub with oceanic heat content at record levels there. Kind of like the loop current an Katrina

I would agree with this.  I was in Hilton Head Island South Carolina back in late august the water there was so warm it was literallyburning my ankles no joke 88 degrees 

Archived