Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we begin.....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the latest model data from Siberia  we can see that a exceptionally favorable  earlky winter pattern is developing which is likely to produce significant advances  in  snow cover over the next 10  to 14 days.  In particular the European AND    the GFS  ENSEMBLES both show a very pronounced and powerful looking   REX BLOCK  developing in the 6 to  10 day over downtown Siberia.  The development of this particular pattern in the Middle October is likely to cause a significant enhancement and rapid buildup of snow cover over most of  Siberia.

This first image shows the MEAN  500 mn pattern over the next four days.  We can see one large powerful trough with a ULL ( Uppr level Low  closed 500 mb  Low) centered over northeastern jury a and southeastern Siberia that is moving towards the Kamchatka of peninsula and a second a large system leaving Central Western Russia and moving East   through the Urals.  R in between there is RIDGE of moderate  magnitude.

post-9415-0-99658800-1444504526_thumb.pn.

The second image   is the European  ensemble valid for the  6-10 day period taking us to t October 20.  The   REX  block pattern is clearly shown but I have highlighted the key features -- and let's be clear about this this is a massive    REX BLOCK  which has developed over the Siberia  region of Asia.   The  ENSEMBLE mean  shows  enormous and very enhanced powerful RIDGE on the north coast of Asia that builds into the Asian side of the Arctic circle.  Underneath and we have two large 500 mb closed Low  that cover all of central and eastern Siberia.  It's hard to imagine a more ideal pattern for the middle of October with respect to producing significant accumulating snow fall at a rapid pace
post-9415-0-28588000-1444504530_thumb.pn

At 48 hours  the 500 mb shows a large multi contoured   closed upper Low and trough over Manchuria into the Sea of Japan.  To the west there is  a pronounced RIDGE over southern Siberia and downtown Mongolia  However  there is a  short wave  over central Siberia  that appears to be diving southeast  towards eastern Manchuria and the southeast Siberian Coast.  This causes a powerful coastal storm to develop  to the southwest of the  Kamchatka peninsula.

post-9415-0-57613800-1444505584_thumb.jp

at 72  hrs OCT 13   the 500 mb  shows two large upper lows and a broad deep trough covering all of southeastern and eastern Siberia with a new system coming in from the Urals.  At the surface we can see two distinct areas of large low pressure on the Southeast Siberian Coast.

post-9415-0-62511100-1444505585_thumb.jp

At day 6  144hrs   the 500mb shows the big system coming in from Central Russia heading into western Siberia  along with  a still large  500 Low and deep  trough over eastern Siberia into Kamchatka peninsula.
post-9415-0-01139200-1444505587_thumb.jp

At 120 hours October 15 through October 18 --we can see  a  large deep Low over the Kamchatka peninsula and another system coming in from the Urals towards western Siberia.  By the 18th the huge system over the Kamchatka peninsula has now moved towards the Bering sea but the next system coming in from Manchuria is rapidly intensify on   the southeast coast of Siberia.

post-9415-0-57982000-1444505588_thumb.jp

Finally by day 10 we can clearly see the MASSIVE    REX BLOCK dominating all of Siberia and a huge massive low pressure area again over  the  Kamchatka peninsula.  The deep cyclonic   flow is what the producing  significant snow over much of Siberia and there is a rapidly intensify 144mb HIGH over western Siberia

post-9415-0-57982000-1444505588_thumb.jp

post-9415-0-62630300-1444505587_thumb.jp

It seems from that graph that snowcover always increases quickly in Eurasia in October.  By the way, what is their definition of Eurasia?

Well yeah, it always does. Its a cool graph and all, but it is hardly surprising that an examination of the slope on any given year would be indicative a high rate of increase during the month of October. What would be more useful is a graph showing the rate of advance to the south of 60N over Eurasia (in October). That is the specific region the SAI is based on.

Not a good map. To much in eastern europe/russia and not advancing south. Reminds me of shades of 2011. Still has 2+ weeks to get its act together, if you care about this index.

I'm not worried about what the map looks like, my point was that 2015 is near 2014 at this point on the graph, with a very snowy/cold pattern for Siberia looming.

You really have no idea what the hell you are talking about  do?

Not a good map. To much in eastern europe/russia and not advancing south. Reminds me of shades of 2011. Still has 2+ weeks to get its act together, if you care about this index.

I am surprised at how well things are falling into place. Latest enso pics combined with expected snow cover growth suggest that we may once again have quite the winter. That said, I still would hedge normal at least for my area but I wouldn't be shocked at another big winter for mby.

REMEMBER  the key according to cohen  is  the  rate of snow in crease  and  anomaiies   from 60 N   south towards the   equator So.... this  would be good 

Compare 10/12/14 (first image) to 10/12/15 (second image).  Most of the anomalies are displaced outside of Siberia...not sure what if anything that means.

attachicon.gife4SRs1.gif

Compare 10/12/14 (first image) to 10/12/15 (second image).  Most of the anomalies are displaced outside of Siberia...not sure what if anything that means.

attachicon.gife4SRs1.gif

It's just fine. You want some snow in central and western areas too. But as the ridge north of Siberia sets up, should promote lower heights to the south and we will see central and eastern areas pick up snow.

How do I tell which is the first image and which is the second...   :)

My potato work Internet auto-crops gifs :(

It's just fine. You want some snow in central and western areas too. But as the ridge north of Siberia sets up, should promote lower heights to the south and we will see central and eastern areas pick up snow.

Thanks, was looking for legit feedback.  Wish there were some geographical boundaries (LAT, LON?) that would help to better define the SAI area of interest.

Archived