joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we begin.....

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finall  number  will be based on  WEEK 44  which  in 2015   ENDS   november  2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this theory also go on the amount of gain through the October time period (to week 44)? If so, would the sudden drop off last year, late in October, equate badly for a negative AO. Whereas this years continued fast increase would point better towards a negative AO.      

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this theory also go on the amount of gain through the October time period (to week 44)? If so, would the sudden drop off last year, late in October, equate badly for a negative AO. Whereas this years continued fast increase would point better towards a negative AO.      

It's about the aggregate rate of gain for the month....thus last year still ranks more highly.

It has been a rollercoaster for the last week or so. As of 10/27, there was 18.66 total Eurasian SCE as per the week #43 number. I very roughly estimate that it dropped to 16 as of 10/31 after those huge western flank losses. Now it has risen sharply back to 17.75 as of 11/3 (per the week 44 number) after quite large net gains mainly in the western sector since 10/31.

For comparison sake...

Let's put this in perspective, at least for the month of October where the Rutgers Global Snow Lab has monthly statistics, if not for the real SAI time frame, which runs through weeks 40-44, October 7th through November 5th. The current 15.16 million sq km total for October, if it holds, is already ahead of last October's total of 14.140 msk, and would be second only to 1976. It would also result in a higher SAI than last year, especially since by last October 7th we already had some gains south of 60N, while this year there was very little. Double Ay Carumba!!

Let's put this in perspective, at least for the month of October where the Rutgers Global Snow Lab has monthly statistics, if not for the real SAI time frame, which runs through weeks 40-44, October 7th through November 5th. The current 15.16 million sq km total for October, if it holds, is already ahead of last October's total of 14.140 msk, and would be second only to 1976. It would also result in a higher SAI than last year, especially since by last October 7th we already had some gains south of 60N, while this year there was very little. Double Ay Carumba!!

Total Eurasian snowcover south of 60N is definitely not as high this year as last year at this time.

2015 vs 2014 snow cover anomalies:

post-52-0-87155700-1446168509_thumb.png

post-52-0-58669800-1446168539_thumb.png

Don't know if it matters, but the anomalies this year are more substantial this year closer to the heart of Siberia. Also, last year there were some pretty big losses during late October and early November. Does not look like that will be the case this year if model forecasts are right.

attachicon.gifoct31.jpg

ESTIMATED  by the end of week 44   which in this case is NOV 2 ....  16.80 million  sq  km 

Not too shabby.... This will certainly point towards a -AO. Last year may have been an outlier, but this winter will either make or break the correlation. If it fails again, then most folks won't even bother to track it next winter. Just my opinion.

Not too shabby.... This will certainly point towards a -AO. Last year may have been an outlier, but this winter will either make or break the correlation. If it fails again, then most folks won't even bother to track it next winter. Just my opinion.

The anomalously low wave 1 amplitude in Oct suggests that tropospheric forcing on the stratosphere may be difficult to come by.  I don't think it should be looked at as a make or break year, though it is getting pretty clear that it isn't the big dog that perhaps we once thought it to be.

Archived