• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

Kinda reminding me of Dec 2002 where I remember the models initially showed the Pacific firehose run after run in first part of Dec until finally caught on to the +PNA for the latter part.  There was a foretelling index.. the SOI.  It rose rapidly during that December.  Here, we are already rising rapidly... over the past month, the 30 day SOI avg has risen from -20 to -2 with a few +10 days in the past week or so.

My thinking is that we're going to see the models pick up on some real amplication in the coming days. We'll see.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda reminding me of Dec 2002 where I remember the models initially showed the Pacific firehose run after run in first part of Dec until finally caught on to the +PNA for the latter part.  There was a foretelling index.. the SOI.  It rose rapidly during that December.  Here, we are already rising rapidly... over the past month, the 30 day SOI avg has risen from -20 to -2 with a few +10 days in the past week or so.

My thinking is that we're going to see the models pick up on some real amplication in the coming days. We'll see.

:clap:

Wow. That is a warm apocalypse. It will be an incredible effort to turn that around. We always joke but that really would be a winter cancel type situation...or at least December cancel

That ridge is something serious but we knew this was coming for December. Maybe people didn't believe it or something? December has basically been the only month consistently torched in the climate models since fall. That's reality...for December.

That ridge is something serious but we knew this was coming for December. Maybe people didn't believe it or something? December has basically been the only month consistently torched in the climate models since fall. That's reality...for December.

Yep...let's enjoy the warmth, today was nice.  I still like the w-QBO nino progression for winter...this is the 40th time I have posted this but it appears I will have to post this everyday so I don't get attacked from the usual suspects that can't handle people posting about Dec warmth.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46672-winter-15-16-discussion/page-40#entry3752954

Yep...let's enjoy the warmth, today was nice.  I still like the w-QBO nino progression for winter...this is the 40th time I have posted this but it appears I will have to post this everyday so I don't get attacked from the usual suspects that can't handle people posting about Dec warmth.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46672-winter-15-16-discussion/page-40#entry3752954

Nothing you can do about that.

For those worried about December being warm....

Jan +2", Feb +1.4", and March +0.5" for snowfall compared to Dec.

December is not a snowy month.

R1LCyE8.png

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right on, Jon.

And we can sell short term false hope @$20.00 per bottle now but come late December/January, it'll be anti-freeze at the same price .... :guitar:

Sun angle is much better for Dec events. 

Ground temps are usually colder in Dec also. March is a whopping 10 degrees warmer than Dec on average. I would much, much rather have snow in Dec than March. I had thundersnow for hours in March 2009 that accumulated to 1/2". Probably 7" fell from the sky.

Do like Dec sun angle, but dang, there have been some good March storms thru the yrs in NC

March 1983 stands out to me with that big late month snow that year. Much of the state scored big in March of 1993 too of course. The March 2009 event was smaller in coverage, but it pounded the small area that got it. There's March of 1980 too, but I don't remember anything with that month here in Union county SC.

I don't know if 200' make that big of difference. The northwest burns of Atlanta range from 1000'-1300' and I'm not sure I noticed that much of a difference across the area.

There are a whole lot of variables that go into determining how much snow/ice one will average. Latitude, elevation, distance from storm source(this can be good or bad), distance from cold source (like CAD), geographic influences (like down-slopping), and many more. When you compare areas like Columbia to Grenville SC it's easy to figure out why there are differences; but other areas are harder to determine (like Grenville to Charlotte).  

You also have to be careful when looking at snow averages. Some areas may not average many winter events per year but when they do get a winter event it can be large. Example: Raleigh averages more snow than Charlotte. (but)I would say that Charlotte has a greater chance of seeing more winter events through the year. Reason for disparity, Raleigh has a greater chance of seeing a large snow.  

There are a whole lot of variables that go into determining how much snow/ice one will average. Latitude, elevation, distance from storm source(this can be good or bad), distance from cold source (like CAD), geographic influences (like down-slopping), and many more. When you compare areas like Columbia to Grenville SC it's easy to figure out why there are differences; but other areas are harder to determine (like Grenville to Charlotte).  

You also have to be careful when looking at snow averages. Some areas may not average many winter events per year but when they do get a winter event it can be large. Example: Raleigh averages more snow than Charlotte. (but)I would say that Charlotte has a greater chance of seeing more winter events through the year. Reason for disparity, Raleigh has a greater chance of seeing a large snow.  

All good points.

I don't know if 200' make that big of difference. The northwest burbs of Atlanta range from 1000'-1300' and I'm not sure I noticed that much of a difference across the area.

GSP is also further west/inland than Charlotte and is also in a more advantageous CAD position, being pretty close close to the enscarpment. It is a little further south, but not by much.

Archived