CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CFS monthly confirms the idea of the warm December especially further north. It will be +1-3 for the south, close to average or a little above due to the zonal flow and flood of pacific air. Keep waiting for January as that's when things should change to a more favorable pattern.

cfs-mon_01_T2ma_namer_1.png

Meanwhile the CANSIPS seasonal model indicates a cold January/February with a great 500mb pattern for February, don't give up on it yet!

cansips_z500a_namer_3.png

Been down this road in 97. It's gonna take alot to alter the sw flow courtesy of El nino from just continously flooding the conus with pacific air this season. El nino is the 1,000 lb elephant in the room and is going to drive the pattern solo this year I'm afraid. It's just way,way to strong. Even when It starts it's decline from the current peak it's just so massive the hangover affects want dissapear overnight.We'll get a shot at some small windows of cold Jan and feb. Just hope we time it right with the s t j.

Silver lining is alot of SE posters could hit above normal snowfall wise and by alot. It will come from the higher than average opportunity at a big kahuna storm loaded with qpf thanks to the stj. Maybe a HECS. However we will average more than our share of above normal temp stretches, espeacilly December. Higher than normal cloudy days and wedges is the only thing that can offset the 60+ degree days we are getting ready to expierence. I don't see anyway the AO can help us the first half of December. The polar vortex is roaring right now. The pna is showing signs of heading positive so we'Ll see if we can get a big fat ridge to mfg itself on the west coast and get the trough to set up on the east coast. I'm pretty sure off memory over the holidays in 97 we had a run at 70 a few days. It's awful runing the ac the week of Christmas, so hang tight and look forward to next year's LA Nina LOL! Gotta keep rooting for the pna to get positive and lock in for 90 days. It's the last hope. Hate it for cohen but I don't see the AO and NAO doing nothing but disappointing us again. It'll turn negative but be late Feb early March like usual and wait till next OCT before Maki g it's normal seasonal transition to posotive.

LR GFS from last night correlates pretty good to that CFS image. Pretty much all of the US is flooded with warmth. I'm sure it'll change later today but not looking like we'll get an early jump on winter. 

The rare elusive burgertime has been spotted!  :lmao:

Edit: sorry thought this was banter for some reason....

I'll add something. Jan-Feb is our winter guys. First week of December looks to have some +SN action north of Jersey, but other than that, torch is coming. I wouldn't mind a little warmth but if it's 50 degrees and rain, count me out. I see a lot of moisture in NC to start December...

Been down this road in 97. It's gonna take alot to alter the sw flow courtesy of El nino from just continously flooding the conus with pacific air this season. El nino is the 1,000 lb elephant in the room and is going to drive the pattern solo this year I'm afraid. It's just way,way to strong. Even when It starts it's decline from the current peak it's just so massive the hangover affects want dissapear overnight.We'll get a shot at some small windows of cold Jan and feb. Just hope we time it right with the s t j.

Silver lining is alot of SE posters could hit above normal snowfall wise and by alot. It will come from the higher than average opportunity at a big kahuna storm loaded with qpf thanks to the stj. Maybe a HECS. However we will average more than our share of above normal temp stretches, espeacilly December. Higher than normal cloudy days and wedges is the only thing that can offset the 60+ degree days we are getting ready to expierence. I don't see anyway the AO can help us the first half of December. The polar vortex is roaring right now. The pna is showing signs of heading positive so we'Ll see if we can get a big fat ridge to mfg itself on the west coast and get the trough to set up on the east coast. I'm pretty sure off memory over the holidays in 97 we had a run at 70 a few days. It's awful runing the ac the week of Christmas, so hang tight and look forward to next year's LA Nina LOL! Gotta keep rooting for the pna to get positive and lock in for 90 days. It's the last hope. Hate it for cohen but I don't see the AO and NAO doing nothing but disappointing us again. It'll turn negative but be late Feb early March like usual and wait till next OCT before Maki g it's normal seasonal transition to posotive.

El Niño is peaking as we speak and transitioning to west based. These two factors along with several others will contribute to the overall pattern change by early January. Seasonal models point to this, analogs strongly suggest it and quite a few forecasters expected a warm December. This is actually a good sign because it means the forecast is progressing as expected. Every year is different and there are not many similarities to 97-98 so don't expect this to progress like that season did.

Each season is unique and one must look at all the factors that contribute to a pattern, it's so much more than just a El Niño that factors into long range forecasting/patterns and there are still many factors we don't understand. For one, 97-98 featured a cool November with a trough in the east and ridge in the west. For December the flow flattened some with a ridge in the west still but not as amplified resulting in average temps for the south to below average and warm up north. Already this year the placement of 500mb features is much different with a ridge in the east at times instead of troughing and frequent low heights in the western US. There just aren't many comparisons to 97-98 other than the El Niño and there are a lot of factors which influence it. I still see the warm November/December happening this year with a cold January/February.

The rare elusive burgertime has been spotted! :lmao:

Edit: sorry thought this was banter for some reason....

I'll add something. Jan-Feb is our winter guys. First week of December looks to have some +SN action north of Jersey, but other than that, torch is coming. I wouldn't mind a little warmth but if it's 50 degrees and rain, count me out. I see a lot of moisture in NC to start December...

any hope for snow and cold in the central plains in Dec ? I'll be in eastern Nebraska in Dec and hoping I get to see some snow.

Snowstorm I don't buy the nino trending westward aurgument. Of course if it is west based like 2009 2010 it's money in the bank and what the SE prefers. Yes the nino is at its peak as all usually hit their peak about this time. But make no mistake the sst of the Pacific play a monster role in our weather because it is a major influence in how the atmosphere behaves and reacts over NA. I'm all ears willing , hoping to be convinced this nino is evolving into a west based nino, but from my view it's basin wide and super strong. It is at its peak and will start to fade over the next few months. Now it may fade slower in its western basin as it disolves or dissipates. But to me a west based nino has to progress to it's peak being weighted as being west based from its genesis as opposed to retrograding slower in its western basin as opposed to eastern basin in its decline from peaking.

Snowstorm I don't buy the nino trending westward aurgument. Of course if it is west based like 2009 2010 it's money in the bank and what the SE prefers. Yes the nino is at its peak as all usually hit their peak about this time. But make no mistake the sst of the Pacific play a monster role in our weather because it is a major influence in how the atmosphere behaves and reacts over NA. I'm all ears willing , hoping to be convinced this nino is evolving into a west based nino, but from my view it's basin wide and super strong. It is at its peak and will start to fade over the next few months. Now it may fade slower in its western basin as it disolves or dissipates. But to me a west based nino has to progress to it's peak being weighted as being west based from its genesis as opposed to retrograding slower in its western basin as opposed to eastern basin in its decline from peaking.

Agree ncsnow on basin wide and super strong.  To me, the biggest positive we have this winter is the propensity for the stronger ninos to produce good gulf lows.  Biggest negative is the early signals for +AO/+NAO.  Neutral AO/NAO can be serviceable, but hard to overcome a big +AO/+NAO.  I think the Pacific pattern will be variable....some bad periods, some good.

Agree ncsnow on basin wide and super strong. To me, the biggest positive we have this winter is the propensity for the stronger ninos to produce good gulf lows. Biggest negative is the early signals for +AO/+NAO. Neutral AO/NAO can be serviceable, but hard to overcome a big +AO/+NAO. I think the Pacific pattern will be variable....some bad periods, some good.

I'm usually Mr optimistic and espeacilly this early in the game I can always find some possible nugget to grab hold of along with the fact I've never had a shutout imby. But one of the many burns I've expierenced in this weather hobby/ winter weather obsession has come from El nino. It's overhyped as a SE winter weather gurantee IMO. Odds should be greatly increased for a good sized synoptic event this winter just from the stj being so active but cold rains and sunny days making a run at 60 degrees just to get one decent storm that gets melted by more cold rain 2 days latter doesn't turn my cranks. Alot of folks like it like that but I just enjoy the cold day in day out winter weather to much. Helps take the edge off the southeast summer. If the AO gets off to a solid posotive start in December like it's getting ready to do, it's very hard to get reversed in time to benefit us much down this way. What's gonna break up the polar vortex in its current state? Maybe you solar guys have a clue, but I haven't seen anything. It will take a long time for the pattern to change because of the main factor that's driving it to it's current condition or state will be playing a heavy influence for a couple more months minimum.

I'm usually Mr optimistic and espeacilly this early in the game I can always find some possible nugget to grab hold of along with the fact I've never had a shutout imby. But one of the many burns I've expierenced in this weather hobby/ winter weather obsession has come from El nino. It's overhyped as a SE winter weather gurantee IMO. Odds should be greatly increased for a good sized synoptic event this winter just from the stj being so active but cold rains and sunny days making a run at 60 degrees just to get one decent storm that gets melted by more cold rain 2 days latter doesn't turn my cranks. Alot of folks like it like that but I just enjoy the cold day in day out winter weather to much. Helps take the edge off the southeast summer. If the AO gets off to a solid posotive start in December like it's getting ready to do, it's very hard to get reversed in time to benefit us much down this way. What's gonna break up the polar vortex in its current state? Maybe you solar guys have a clue, but I haven't seen anything. It will take a long time for the pattern to change because of the main factor that's driving it to it's current condition or state will be playing a heavy influence for a couple more months minimum.

This is has been my biggest worry too.

The thing is the pattern of 97-98 with the strong El Niño was completely different that summer and fall compared with this one. It featured a cold November, cool/average December here and then a torch for January and February. It featured a warm west vs cold east initially with a pattern change end of December. By January it switched to warm with a zonal flow and ridge over Canada. Other than the Nino there are no similarities whatsoever to 97-98 at the 500mb level. The Nino is already beginning to transition to west based and the model forecast plots show it weakening significantly in the eastern portion with a shift west in warm anomalies. This will impact the upper level features and begin changing our pattern by early January to a colder one. I see no evidence to indicate a 97-98 type of year and while it's fine to be skeptical all indications point to a great pattern for January and February. I'm quite excited about what we will see going forward but until then we have to endure the warmer weather with frequent rains.

The thing is the pattern of 97-98 with the strong El Niño was completely different that summer and fall compared with this one. It featured a cold November, cool/average December here and then a torch for January and February. It featured a warm west vs cold east initially with a pattern change end of December. By January it switched to warm with a zonal flow and ridge over Canada. Other than the Nino there are no similarities whatsoever to 97-98 at the 500mb level. The Nino is already beginning to transition to west based and the model forecast plots show it weakening significantly in the eastern portion with a shift west in warm anomalies. This will impact the upper level features and begin changing our pattern by early January to a colder one. I see no evidence to indicate a 97-98 type of year and while it's fine to be skeptical all indications point to a great pattern for January and February. I'm quite excited about what we will see going forward but until then we have to endure the warmer weather with frequent rains.

You talk like 97-98 was a horrible winter. Heck, I had snow that winter which is something I can't say for last winter. Any winter that we have snow here is a good winter. 97-98 was much better than 14-15 around here.

This is has been my biggest worry too.

You know it's bad when I am the voice of reason and Grit/NCSNOW start the long walk to cliffs edge.  I was much more optimistic about last winter than this winter but with that said I would be shocked if we finish below last years snow total (7" RDU).  I like how this nino has evolved, basin wide super strong that's going to start dominating the pattern.   We are going to get a couple of heart breakers in Jan where the w-NC clean up but then mid/end of Jan into Feb we will get 2-3 events.

Edit:  Yikes, the EPS is hideous, but that's all going as planned... :bag:

You talk like 97-98 was a horrible winter. Heck, I had snow that winter which is something I can't say for last winter. Any winter that we have snow here is a good winter. 97-98 was much better than 14-15 around here.

You should be et up with cad today thru Friday, and not the only time this winter either :)  Probably get a good zstorm too...you are kind of overdue for a big one. T

You know it's bad when I am the voice of reason and Grit/NCSNOW start the long walk to cliffs edge.  I was much more optimistic about last winter than this winter but with that said I would be shocked if we finish below last years snow total (7" RDU).  I like how this nino has evolved, basin wide super strong that's going to start dominating the pattern.   We are going to get a couple of heart breakers in Jan where the w-NC clean up but then mid/end of Jan into Feb we will get 2-3 events.

Edit:  Yikes, the EPS is hideous, but that's all going as planned... :bag:

Ha, I'm a big fan of ninos, but we've gone sour in the stratosphere here in November.  Need to see a flip there.

I am rooting for the strongest strat vortex in history. If we're going down, might as well go down in flames.

Your rooting is working, not sure it can get much stronger at this point. I bet if we looked at the Dec's that started off with similar PV strength it's probably not pretty for rest of winter but that is total wag.

Archived