Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer Blairsville!

Actually, regarding CAD, Blairsville often times warms above freezing during CAD winter storms. Further SE towards Gainesville stays dammed and colder in the airmass. And winter storms by way of CAD is basically all North GA gets in winter, better than nothing though!

Plenty of hills; just no snow (even though we are really not sandwiched between two bodies of water; we can get and stay plenty cold and the little frozen precip we do occasionally get comes from the northwest and there isn't much water in that direction!).

whatever you do, don't ever, I repeat ever move to anywhere within 20 miles of I-20. It is an winter weather lovers nightmare. I mean look at last year. What a disaster. Lots of cold and not a flurry to show for it. Ok maybe like 5 flurries. Its hell on earth if you like snow. At least in FL you know without a doubt you won't get any snow

whatever you do, don't ever, I repeat ever move to anywhere within 20 miles of WAYCROSS ! It is an winter weather lovers nightmare. I mean look at last year. What a disaster. Lots of cold and not a flurry to show for it. Ok maybe like 5 flurries. Its hell on earth if you like snow. At least in FL you know without a doubt you won't get any snow

FYP

whatever you do, don't ever, I repeat ever move to anywhere within 20 miles of I-20. It is an winter weather lovers nightmare. I mean look at last year. What a disaster. Lots of cold and not a flurry to show for it. Ok maybe like 5 flurries. Its hell on earth if you like snow. At least in FL you know without a doubt you won't get any snow

Luckily I am just north of your designated border  :P

At the same time though I don't think ATL has ever gone 3 consecutive winters without measurable snow or ice, so even if it's 0.1 or 0.2 you're usually gonna get something.

At the same time though I don't think ATL has ever gone 3 consecutive winters without measurable snow or ice, so even if it's 0.1 or 0.2 you're usually gonna get something.

yeah usually we do get something although 3 out of the last 4 winters there has been nothing. It really shouldn't be that hard to at least get 0.1", particularly in winters like last winter when cities like Dallas got pounded with snow time and time again. 1,000' + in elevation sometimes doesn't mean a thing in the deep south. Might as well live at sea level on the gulf coast.

If we can get everything to come together, this should be a epic winter. I think the NAO will become a hindrance though.. 

nao.sprd2.gif

i think the +PNA is more important than a -NAO, at least for my area. I recall seeing research that said we had good winters here with a +PNA during an El Nino, even without the -NAO.

If we can get everything to come together, this should be a epic winter. I think the NAO will become a hindrance though.. 

How do you have 2764 posts, be from Charlotte, NC, and I don't recognize the screen name?  Are you a current member who has just changed their screen name?  Or have I somehow had you on ignore all these years and didn't realize it?  :)

i think the +PNA is more important than a -NAO, at least for my area. I recall seeing research that said we had good winters here with a +PNA during an El Nino, even without the -NAO.

No...not even close, -NAO drive majority of all our great winters.  Sure, the PNA by itself can get us something but the -NAO is way more important.

How do you have 2764 posts, be from Charlotte, NC, and I don't recognize the screen name?  Are you a current member who has just changed their screen name?  Or have I somehow had you on ignore all these years and didn't realize it?  :)

Used to be mp184qcr. Did some updates. Productive day today :) 

Luckily I am just north of your designated border  :P

yeah usually we do get something although 3 out of the last 4 winters there has been nothing. It really shouldn't be that hard to at least get 0.1", particularly in winters like last winter when cities like Dallas got pounded with snow time and time again. 1,000' + in elevation sometimes doesn't mean a thing in the deep south. Might as well live at sea level on the gulf coast.

Can't forget all the times there's a warm layer, and you get zrain eating up your one and maybe two chances at snow any given year, lol.  And  all the 32.6 rain because we are too close to the storm.  Oh, it's snowing like crazy out top floor windows in Atl office buildings......that's another good chance eaten up by something else, lol.  The last two years I got zr when I was hoping for sleet..but at least I got something frozen...I just prefer my frozen on the ground, and not breaking off tree tops :) T

FWIW, GFS has been hinting awhile now at the possibility of some overrunning wintry precip behind an arctic front November 29-30th timeframe. Yes it's a long ways out but GFS has been showing this possibility in some form or another for quite a few days now. Usually those Arctic fronts don't work out and euro shows a completely different solution, but who knows? Will be a good test to see if euro is still king.

FWIW, GFS has been hinting awhile now at the possibility of some overrunning wintry precip behind an arctic front November 29-30th timeframe. Yes it's a long ways out but GFS has been showing this possibility in some form or another for quite a few days now. Usually those Arctic fronts don't work out and euro shows a completely different solution, but who knows? Will be a good test to see if euro is still king.

Who knows really!? But from reading the Lakes forum about this current event, the Euro got the track right.

Who knows really!? But from reading the Lakes forum about this current event, the Euro got the track right.

CMC and GFS show Arctic front with overrunning the 29-30th timeframe. Not sure about the euro precip map since I don't have access to it, however it shows the Arctic front much weaker and more oriented WSW to ENE vs the more traditional SW to NE orientation by the other two models.

CMC and GFS show Arctic front with overrunning the 29-30th timeframe. Not sure about the euro precip map since I don't have access to it, however it shows the Arctic front much weaker and more oriented WSW to ENE vs the more traditional SW to NE orientation by the other two models.

No model can be trusted during this time frame, looking at 00z on the 29th,  the 12z GFS juts flipped on the cold source from 1047mb high over central US to 1028 over texas.

00z euro had a 1041mb high over central US at this time period as well however precip broke up before it got to much of the SE and the cold is too slow to begin with. We need a huge high to move in quickly behind a stout line of precip for this to even be a thought. Probably going to just be cold rain. We'll see if the 12z Euro says different....otherwise, cold chasing moisture.

It had a nice uppper low dragging thru behind the rain giving N Ala some goodies some days back, on the 1st, then later it's gone.  Last night it was back west for a frame then gone.  That's actually believable, if that upper low comes back down here, and not in Canada.....then it depends on where it goes.  But N Ala over to Rose looked good on the way, way out machine, for a moment, lol.  T

Well let's see - L/R - huh?

@ 11:00 AM NWS had me in the mid-30's tomorrow night, with a high of 65 tomorrow and falling all day; now @ 5:45 PM they say low in the mid-40s and and high closer to 70 and steady tomorrow ....

No consistency on a 12 hour local and we look at GFS for December guidance?

:axe:

and forget the rain we were progged to have all day ...

Well let's see - L/R - huh?

@ 11:00 AM NWS had me in the mid-30's tomorrow night, with a high of 65 tomorrow and falling all day; now @ 5:45 PM they say low in the mid-40s and and high closer to 70 and steady tomorrow ....

No consistency on a 12 hour local and we look at GFS for December guidance?

:axe:

and forget the rain we were progged to have all day ...

18z has the cold held back behind the mountains, anywhere east or south of the mountains is likely to have warmer highs tomorrow than forecasted a day or two ago.  Same story, different day.

Archived