Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously there are a lot of factors which will play into our wintry weather prospects but the 2 biggest keys for me are 1.How far South and West in the Pacific does the trough set up and 2. Where does the High set up in Canada. If the trough sets up south and a little west of the Aleutians, then the natural response would be a High setting up in mid-western Canada for the winter months of Jan-March. Assuming we get the trough where we want it and the High sets up in Western Canada (but not TOO far west)  to go along with a strong, but decreasing Nino,  we should have plenty of storms to track. With the cold water in the Atlantic north of 50 degrees, this should favor a -NAO with blocking in the right spot for us. Not sure how the NE would do in this set-up but the MA and SE should do very well in snow/ice storms.While a lot of folks are sweating out a 97-98 type winter because of the similar strength of the El Nino's, there are major differences in the SST pattern from that non winter year. The warmest water is much further West in the Pac this year than 97 and the cold pool of water in the N Atlantic is much further North. Throw in the warm water right off the NW US coast,as opposed to cold in 97, I have little fear (at this time) that we need to worry too much about a 97-98 redux

Anybody heard of the "Hudson Bay Ridge"? There was a post on the other forum, and it said the JMA is showing that and it's a crucial factor for getting snow and ice in the south!? " AL/GA could see 2-3. 4"+ storms this winter" !! That would most likely translate to the SC/NC zones hopefully!?

I always thought we wanted a trough. A big low parked right over the Hudson Bay is a recipe for cold in the eastern US.  

Anybody heard of the "Hudson Bay Ridge"? There was a post on the other forum, and it said the JMA is showing that and it's a crucial factor for getting snow and ice in the south!? " AL/GA could see 2-3. 4"+ storms this winter" !! That would most likely translate to the SC/NC zones hopefully!?

Yeah and we want the ridge on the west side of Hudson Bay but not too far West. If right on the west bank, we tend to get some colder than normal air but still allow the storm track to come up from the gulf, but if it is too far West, we get extreme cold but not as much sotrminess/wintry precip due to the jet cutting up the Appalachians

This article contradicts itself several times in regards to the SE anyway! Very first paragraph says SE will be above normal for winter. In the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, it says temperatures will be below normal below a line from Kansas City to DC to New England!? WTH? Conflicting statements on something put out to the public, made me lose interest and stop reading!

This article contradicts itself several times in regards to the SE anyway! Very first paragraph says SE will be above normal for winter. In the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, it says temperatures will be below normal below a line from Kansas City to DC to New England!? WTH? Conflicting statements on something put out to the public, made me lose interest and stop reading!

Your talking about the WSI article that GAStorm posted. I agree, I read it and it was a mess. 

Your talking about the WSI article that GAStorm posted. I agree, I read it and it was a mess. 

Actually it was well-written, if you think about it from this perspective: next spring they can quote a few lines from it and say their forecast was correct, since it basically includes pretty much every possible outcome. ;)

Robert at Wxsouth is hinting at a big storm coming sometime around the end of this month, maybe with some snow in the mountains. If this happens, we can kiss winter goodbye.

I've never wanted so badly for him to be wrong!!!

If a monster storm hits and brings snow, even just to the Southern Apps, winter is definately over!

If a monster storm hits and brings snow, even just to the Southern Apps, winter is definately over!

The mountains of NC see snow almost every year before Oct 31st. Now, having said that, it seems that based on past history, a monster storm in Oct seems to be the kiss of death for our winter. However, this Nino year might not behave as expected. I have a gut feeling that there might just be some surprises this winter. I am not so sure that most of Canada will torch as shown by every LR forecast out there. But what do I know, only time will tell.

It snowed in the mountains on October 17th and 18th, 2009 and it definitely didn't ruin our El Nino winter for that 09-10 winter. A multi-region storm and I might agree with you, however if it snows up here at the end of the month, I wouldn't look into much at all.

Not in Upstate ! I can't think of one clipper that I even saw flurries from! Downslope is a killer!

It happened once in the mid 90's from an Alberta clipper. It spread light and steady snow all through the Ohio Valley down through the western Carolina's. Started from around 10 o'clock to midnight on a Saturday night and snowed till around noon on Sunday. The ground was frozen and it all stuck. We probably got 3 to 4 inches out of it. And as well as I remember, it was a surprise to our local MET's.

Well neither the 0z/6z GFS nor 0z Euro shows anything of the sort, so at least for the moment, we're good.

Also, hoping Nov torches the conus.  I do like that Oct will end being cold in the east.  I always think a cold Oct and warm Nov bodes well, but who knows.  I am less optimistic on this winter as far as a big winter than I was last winter.  I am guessing we get some snow but probably end up in our typical...5-7" range...meh.  

Still hard to believe it's been since 2004 (12 years now) that we haven't had a double digit season.  Previous longest stretch was 10 years back in 1912.  We did go on a really good run after that streak was broken but not sure we are going to be so lucky.  FYI...we typically average 3 10"+ winters every 10 years.  #GWFTL

Also, hoping Nov torches the conus.  I do like that Oct will end being cold in the east.  I always think a cold Oct and warm Nov bodes well, but who knows.  I am less optimistic on this winter as far as a big winter than I was last winter.  I am guessing we get some snow but probably end up in our typical...5-7" range...meh.  

Still hard to believe it's been since 2004 (12 years now) that we haven't had a double digit season.  Previous longest stretch was 10 years back in 1912.  We did go on a really good run after that streak was broken but not sure we are going to be so lucky.  FYI...we typically average 3 10"+ winters every 10 years.  #GWFTL

Assuming the MJO continues on as forecast, November should end up at least partly in phase 3, which is warm this time of year.

EMON_phase_51m_small.gif

combined_image.png

From everything I have read, it seems most mets think this winter will be pretty big for us. And it has been a while since we have had double digit snowfall. Longer than average. We're past due, and I think we collect this winter.

Here is how we did in previous strong+ nino's...but we are on a quite a rough patch the past 30 years, until that changes I am pessimistic.  I keep thinking our luck has to change but really it doesn't.  It's like in roulette where red keeps hitting so you bet black thinking it has to change, it really doesn't.

I do expect our mountains to be in good shape and the usual suspects (MA to the NE) will always do well.  I think we have a much better chance at sub 3" winter than we do a 8"+ winter.

1958 - 7.9"

1966 - 12.3"

1973 - 11.3"

1983 - 11.8"

1998 - 2.6"

Here is how we did in previous strong+ nino's...but we are on a quite a rough patch the past 30 years, until that changes I am pessimistic.  I keep thinking our luck has to change but really it doesn't.  It's like in roulette where red keeps hitting so you bet black thinking it has to change, it really doesn't.

I do expect our mountains to be in good shape and the usual suspects (MA to the NE) will always do well.  I think we have a much better chance at sub 3" winter than we do a 8"+ winter.

1958 - 7.9"

1966 - 12.3"

1973 - 11.3"

1983 - 11.8"

1998 - 2.6"

I think that's just being pessimistic. Of course it could end up that way, but from what everyone has been saying, that would really go against the odds.

Archived