Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOAA released their winter outlook. Wetter than average in the Southeast, and below average temps likely in the Southeast.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2015/101515-noaa-strong-el-nino-sets-the-stage-for-2015-2016-winter-weather.html

Discussion from NOAA regarding their outlook...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF THE FORECAST IS THE EXTENT OF COLD AIR INTRUSIONS INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC AND SOUTHEAST A MIDST A STRONG EL NINO. FORECAST TOOLS DIVERGE IN THESE AREAS DURING THE WINTER MONTHS. THE CFS INDICATES EL NINO IS BY FAR THE DOMINANT PLAYER WITH A WARM FORECAST ACROSS THE MAJORITY OF THE CONUS. ON THE OTHER HAND, SOME STATISTICAL FORECAST TOOLS SUCH AS THE CA, CCA AND SMLR HINT AT A COLDER FORECAST FOR THE SOUTHEAST WHERE PREDICTORS ARE TAPPING INTO CONTINUED WARM NORTH PACIFIC SSTS. STRONG EL NINO CONDITIONS, AND THE ASSOCIATED CIRCULATION, HOWEVER, COULD VERY WELL MODIFY THIS STRUCTURE. THE FORECAST IS A BALANCE BETWEEN ALL OF THESE FACTORS.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the year of the WEDGE.  there maybe some MEGA highs that drill in the confluence of the jet in NE.  That could spell many possible ICING events vs SNOW events.  Hell, who knows what will happen, but IMO NOAA needs to atleast up the SE to a much higher % and make it more widespread with the precip.  just my 2c

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the year of the WEDGE.  there maybe some MEGA highs that drill in the confluence of the jet in NE.  That could spell many possible ICING events vs SNOW events.  Hell, who knows what will happen, but IMO NOAA needs to atleast up the SE to a much higher % and make it more widespread with the precip.  just my 2c

I agree Chris but they (NOAA) are notoriously conservative and middle of the road in all predictions and have been for years

DT has a great writeup for this upcoming winter, no predictions yet but his thoughts on where things stand....

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=1CA2F9A16D1A6375!268&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMQEjYeZvKqIUFI

Getting to the point in the season where we're going to see alot of winter forecasts pop up.  After last year, I'm kindly going to take them and file them away with a big "?".  That's pretty much where DT seems to be right now too.  I honestly don't have any expectations one way or another other than probably wet for the SE. 

DT has a great writeup for this upcoming winter, no predictions yet but his thoughts on where things stand....

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=1CA2F9A16D1A6375!268&ithint=file%2cpptx&app=PowerPoint&authkey=!AMQEjYeZvKqIUFI

Seems like the big key is when the El Nino starts to go from strong to moderate. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the year of the WEDGE. there maybe some MEGA highs that drill in the confluence of the jet in NE. That could spell many possible ICING events vs SNOW events. Hell, who knows what will happen, but IMO NOAA needs to atleast up the SE to a much higher % and make it more widespread with the precip. just my 2c

from a personal standpoint, I hope there's not a lot of wedge events because it rarely does me any good. Of course northeast GA and the Carolinas are a different story.

Interesting looking at how we are going to finish October with how past Nino's looked....October will finish dry for us in what will amount to the last 3 weeks, assuming models are correct but these analogs are very wet for us from November on.  These analogs are also very warm for us in Nov but cold for nations mid-section down to TX.

post-2311-0-85371200-1445029036_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-30172200-1445029042_thumb.pn

Another analog that get's thrown around is 40/41...interesting analog as it was the 2nd year of a 3 year nino and was moderate/strong in DJF 41.  Not snowy for us as it was dry but was very cold in Jan/Feb....

As many on here have stated, give us the cold and we'll take our chances on the precip. Plus it doesn't take much to provide some good winter events. I would guess some of our best winter cold patterns have had below normal precip totals.

Do not want cold and dry under any circumstances. That would be awful.

I remember years back we had a very cold January with very little precip. But, the little bit of precip was 2" of snow. That 2" of snow stayed on the ground for weeks (...at least in the shade). So yes, give us the cold and we'll take our chances from there....

Archived