Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do this every year and get slammed, so chest guard, face mask and shin guards are on, and catcher's mitt is well oiled --

We (SE) seem to get 8 -12 weeks of "winter" in a "normal" year; that "winter" might be cool, cold, very cold or above average, rainy or snowy or dry, but the span between fall weather and spring weather is largely ("normally") 2 - 3 months give or take a couple of weeks. If you start "winter" in November, however it shakes out (cool, cold, very cold or above average), by February flowers are starting to pop. If winter starts say in early December, you can pretty well count on rolling it to the end of Feb; if "winter" is not starting until just about Christmas, it's usually March (when the real neat stuff happens) when winter really ends.

Oh yes - there are years that differ in both directions, but if I were laying $$ on blind winter bet and wanted a cold and snowy X-Mas till March, I'd hope for fall to last into mid-December.

No science - just observation over a lifetime ...

th-1.jpg

Haha that sounds just about right. By the way, I think you might get a flake or two this winter!

It's going to be a really long wait when we nino blowtorch this winter away and then next year is a monumental Nina.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. All these cold winter forecasts are nice and, but I have this brooding feeling. It's kind of like seeing the black cat twice in the matrix. Everything looks good and all, but....:yikes:

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. All these cold winter forecasts are nice and, but I have this brooding feeling. It's kind of like seeing the black cat twice in the matrix. Everything looks good and all, but.... :yikes:

Weeklies are interesting, very nino like weeks 3 and 4...blowtorch northern US and Canada with cool TX and active southern stream.  Haven't seen 2m temps or precip anomalies yet though.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. All these cold winter forecasts are nice and, but I have this brooding feeling. It's kind of like seeing the black cat twice in the matrix. Everything looks good and all, but.... :yikes:

Roger Smith went warm - http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46928-ka-winter-outlook-2015-16-mine-also-others-please-post-here/?p=3729009

Well that's pretty terrible. But it's what I expect too. But I'm cynical on winter, so maybe you should underweight my viewpoint.

LOL...that's a brutal forecast, although we got 5" in 1906. We probably get a couple of meager 1-3" events in Feb. Even in 98 we got close to 3". Why I said the other day we have a better chance at sub 3" then 8"+. A torch winter would be funny....

LOL...I will be first in line come Xmas when we are blowtorching.

It's going to be a really long wait when we nino blowtorch this winter away and then next year is a monumental Nina.

1997-98 followed by 1998-99 comes to mind for that. Neither of those were good for winter weather.

LOL...that's a brutal forecast, although we got 5" in 1906. We probably get a couple of meager 1-3" events in Feb. Even in 98 we got close to 3". Why I said the other day we have a better chance at sub 3" then 8"+. A torch winter would be funny....

Haha no it would not! You would not be laughing about a torch winter.

Where would that put us in terms of SAI/OPI, roughly?

OPI website died, lol

For the SAI, my guess now based on Pack's map is that this is a pretty good year....better than normal....but not as good as the high end years of 2014 and 2009 (best fit slope line for snow increase is steeper in those years).

Eurasia.png

OPI website died, lol

For the SAI, my guess now based on Pack's map is that this is a pretty good year....better than normal....but not as good as the high end years of 2014 and 2009 (best fit slope line for snow increase is steeper in those years).

Good deal.  Thanks man!  I wonder where the OPI guys went?

OPI website died, lol

Eurasia.png

Hopefully it can keep tracking along 12/13...that "should" be solid enough to put this theory to test again this winter.  Although if we get a hugging GOA low it will be a waste.

Hopefully it can keep tracking along 12/13...that "should" be solid enough to put this theory to test again this winter.  Although if we get a hugging GOA low it will be a waste.

12z gfs looks really solid for eursaia to close out the month. The biggest caveat in my mind is that strong Ninos can overwhelm things so the chances of atypical results for the season no matter what says what leading in are a bigger part of the equation than usual. 

I'm not nearly as gung ho (like most of us) about the SAI anymore. You can look at years like 12/13 where we had the big -AO but roasted. I'm sure Cohen can spin it and say his index was right with the -AO but the nasty AK vortex just ruined  the temp part of the forecast. But the science was sound. Just like he's spinning last year's cold temps saying he nailed the cold east even in the face of the massive -AO bust. Leaves folks like us scratching our heads a bit. I mean, what is it? Is it cold east or -AO? You can't have it both ways. 

Another thing that has casually crossed my mind is what role is the significantly smaller ice cap playing in all this compared to just a decade or 2 ago? Is the open water near the pole (especially on the Russian side) aiding in affecting the storm track or providing more available moisture for storms in Sept/Oct? Is the seemingly recent increase in NH snowcover in the fall a byproduct of something else and not the same reasons the SAI science is built on? Seems possible to me but nothing more than a guess. 

One thing that is much more clear is the state of the Dec AO bleeding into Jan and even Feb. At least when it's anomalous. If we have strong +AO in Dec then all bets are off  even if the SAI says otherwise. If we have a strong -AO in Dec then it's time to fire up the snowblowers this year...well....as long as there isn't a nasty spinning one eyed beast tucked east in the GOA or Bearing Sea.

Archived