EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love that. Not only does he have 150% to 200% of normal snowfall for most of the southeast, he also thinks the arctic outbreaks will be less this winter than the last two, and it won't be an extremely cold winter. A lot of snow, but without the extreme cold would be the best of both worlds.

I wonder if the hurricane could have affected the area that far south (off SA coast).

edit: You can see where the hurricane was by the two small below normal spots..

I agree, I am sure it did.  It's interesting see the shift west of the warm pool in nino areas.  Shows up better when you watch the loop...

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/sst.anom.anim.week.html

Cold Rain...

1958-1988 we had a -NAO in a winter month (DJF) 50% of the time.  RDU averaged around 9" per season during this time.

1989-2015 we had a -NAO in a winter month (DJF) 29% of the time.  RDU averaged around 5" per season since 89/90.

Umm....can someone put a call in for a -NAO this winter.

I like what I am seeing with the ocean temps. If the trend continues into November, with the warm pool in the north Pacific, it could be a rock and roll winter. 

It would be nice if the el nino would wane sooner, just as Pack shows above; but (as we discussed) is this just a temporary drop because of the hurricanes influence.  

Cold Rain...

1958-1988 we had a -NAO in a winter month (DJF) 50% of the time.  RDU averaged around 9" per season during this time.

1989-2015 we had a -NAO in a winter month (DJF) 29% of the time.  RDU averaged around 5" per season since 89/90.

Umm....can someone put a call in for a -NAO this winter.

Dial it up man.  It would definitely help this year!  If we don't get blocking this winter, I have a feeling we'll be a little toasty.

2nd year nino snowfall for 58/59...thanks to JoMo for posting the link to this.  #2ndYrNino

It's fun plotting these.

I know, I was kind of addicted to plotting them for awhile. My new obsession seems to be jumping in my time machine and checking out past big snowy weather events using the old paper maps they digitized. (DjVu plugin required)

http://www.lib.noaa.gov/collections/imgdocmaps/daily_weather_maps.html

I know, I was kind of addicted to plotting them for awhile. My new obsession seems to be jumping in my time machine and checking out past big snowy weather events using the old paper maps they digitized. (DjVu plugin required)

http://www.lib.noaa.gov/collections/imgdocmaps/daily_weather_maps.html

Thanks! This will keep me busy the next few weeks.

I don't even have to check, the period between 58-70 had great blocking and was one of the greatest stretches we have been through. Kind of like what the MA and BOS is going through now.

Yeah Lookout's area was at the end of that chart with 750%. Don't know what the avg. is over in Athens but that is insane!

WxSouth has his winter outlook now. Seems like he has most of the above average snow in the mountains. Doesn't sound as bullish for the Triangle as Allan and others are. I was hoping for more of that here.

My Winter Outlook...
First I'll say I can be very wrong, or right for the wrong reasons, etc. There's no magic bullet to getting a Winter right , and inevitably I'll miss some spots. Nature can --and does--things unpredicted. A lot.
All that being said, I do it for fun, and possibly a learning experience. Several things lead me to believe the Winter will be a Wild one, with lots of change-ups. It may become a blockbuster Winter somewhere in the Eastern sections, possibly even the upper Southeast, when all is said and done. Spring may be delayed. The highlights :
1) Many storms. Many cold rain events
2) Not as cold as last two Winters, but the cold will synch up with moisture, more often
3) The shear number of storms tracking through the Gulf statistically means increased chances of one, two or more will bring snow, ice down South, esp. the Apps, and MidAtlantic
4) High confidence of above normal snow, ice in western VA, western Carolinas, east TN, north AL, GA because of the drought evolution, and how Nino's tend to follow this evolution
5) Sea Surface Temps promote big tall west Ridges again, like last 2 Winters. Warm Oceans, Cold Continent
6) Seasonal models show incredible Canada blocking, which argues for Deep South, Eastern Winter Storms.

12065785_1157315630965157_81107252380803

I don't even have to check, the period between 58-70 had great blocking and was one of the greatest stretches we have been through. Kind of like what the MA and BOS is going through now.

I agree with that. We definitely had something working in our favor during those years. We got snowstorms every winter back then. Might not have been but one but it was usually a big one, and some ice storms thrown in from time to time.

WxSouth has his winter outlook now. Seems like he has most of the above average snow in the mountains. Doesn't sound as bullish for the Triangle as Allan and others are. I was hoping for more of that here.

IMO we are going to have temperature problems this winter.  Prepare yourself for quite a few 30s and rain events.  This winter will be even more altitude dependent than usual as far as snow amounts go.  You can see it in several met forecasts already where they are calling for above or much above normal in the mountains, but it quickly goes back to normal and even below as you move east.

IMO we are going to have temperature problems this winter.  Prepare yourself for quite a few 30s and rain events.  This winter will be even more altitude dependent than usual as far as snow amounts go.  You can see it in several met forecasts already where they are calling for above or much above normal in the mountains, but it quickly goes back to normal and even below as you move east.

I can stomach the 30s and rain as long as we have a few snow events, too. Allan had us at above normal in his outlook, so we'll see. If we are going to have a lot of 30s and rain, I hope we at least get to average snowfall totals to make up for it.

Could be for sure.  But I think that's the "el-nino" effect being forecasted where the cold air is getting cut off by the pacific and not getting pushed far enough south.  My hope is that like the last two years we get a nice tall +PNA/-EPO where the cold air will be available off and on throughout the winter.  Persistance for the win (and SSTs).  -NAO or no, that's my hope.  IF that happens along with Chris Farley's personna, I think we could have a pretty good year in the piedmont for snow.  Add a -NAO to that and we could have a great, wild ride.  Lot of ifs, but it all starts with how the N Pacific sets up in late December/early January.  Bad spacing of the vortex and it could be a really bad winter for snow.  All or nothing!! That's my winter forecast!! :snowing::maphot:

Edit: Question, when a met says "western carolinas", does that include Charlotte?  Right in the middle I never know. 

I can stomach the 30s and rain as long as we have a few snow events, too. Allan had us at above normal in his outlook, so we'll see. If we are going to have a lot of 30s and rain, I hope we at least get to average snowfall totals to make up for it.

WxSouth's map follows the stats that Grit put out...ATL up GSP to CLT and west towards the mountains.   The mountains will do well, very well this winter, unless we get some freakish dry nino.

We (RDU) had temp problems last Feb on both of our bigger events and that was really cold period.  One turned in a big sleet storm, the other was a sloppy rain/snow mix south of 64.  We always have temp problems.  I think we are going to see a lot of 87 type events, where west of 85 gets snow and east of that is a cold rain.  

We (RDU) had temp problems last Feb on both of our bigger events and that was really cold period.  One turned in a big sleet storm, the other was a sloppy rain/snow mix south of 64.  We always have temp problems.  I think we are going to see a lot of 87 type events, where west of 85 gets snow and east of that is a cold rain.  

That's why there are so many busted snow forecasts here just hours before the event is supposed to start, and it busts both ways. We always seem to be right on the line for some reason. 

My Winter Outlook...

First I'll say I can be very wrong, or right for the wrong reasons, etc. There's no magic bullet to getting a Winter right , and inevitably I'll miss some spots. Nature can --and does--things unpredicted. A lot.

All that being said, I do it for fun, and possibly a learning experience. Several things lead me to believe the Winter will be a Wild one, with lots of change-ups. It may become a blockbuster Winter somewhere in the Eastern sections, possibly even the upper Southeast, when all is said and done. Spring may be delayed. The highlights :

1) Many storms. Many cold rain events

2) Not as cold as last two Winters, but the cold will synch up with moisture, more often

3) The shear number of storms tracking through the Gulf statistically means increased chances of one, two or more will bring snow, ice down South, esp. the Apps, and MidAtlantic

4) High confidence of above normal snow, ice in western VA, western Carolinas, east TN, north AL, GA because of the drought evolution, and how Nino's tend to follow this evolution

5) Sea Surface Temps promote big tall west Ridges again, like last 2 Winters. Warm Oceans, Cold Continent

6) Seasonal models show incredible Canada blocking, which argues for Deep South, Eastern Winter Storms.

12065785_1157315630965157_81107252380803

Just the word ICE on his map depicts Miller B type storms. The Triangle is usually "in the game" for many of these storms.  

Archived