Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 15-16 Discussion

griteater

Larry Cosgrove's winter forecast is out and breaks down like this:

November:  Temps at or slightly below normal for the deep south and southeast.  Precip is below normal across the deep south and above for the southeast coast from FL to VA and north.

December:  Temps are slightly above normal for the deep south and southeast.  Precip is above normal across the deep south and southeast.  Precip is slightly below normal across western sections of TN and northern MS.

January:  Temps are much below normal across the entire southeast and much of the central and eastern parts of the country (slightly below normal is shown along the Gulf coast).  Precip is at or above normal across most of the deep south and southeast.

February:  Temps are far below across much of the southeast (outside of immediate coastal sections), with much below temps shown across most of the central and eastern US.  Precip is below normal for the mountains and west and across much of the deep south.  The Piedmont sections and east toward the coastal plain maintain normal to above normal precip.

March:  Temps are much below across the south-central US and slightly below across generally most  of the US, save the northern tier, including the deep south and southeast.  Precip is shown as normal across most of the SE with above normal across western sections of the deep south and south-central US.

Looks pretty good.  The summary of the text suggest that after a mild start, January should quickly turn cold with blocking more abundant as we work through the end of the month, culminating with a Frigid February.  Given the active STJ, there should be more than a couple opportunities for snow and ice across the deep south and southeast.

One thing --> I would say the warm November is looking more real. Then I think we go cold at the first of December; at least for a couple of weeks. Some long range models do show this. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing --> I would say the warm November is looking more real. Then I think we go cold at the first of December; at least for a couple of weeks. Some long range models do show this.

I don't get that either, warm Nov in the east looks like a given but it's a long month. He is going really cold for Jan/Feb, colder than last Jan/Feb.

Man, he just went for broke didn't he?  I liked his intro and breakdown of the difference between this NINO and the 97-98.  But not even "above normal" snow.  CLT was right on the line of "lots of snow".  lol.  That's crazy to think it was actually on TV.

Larry Cosgrove's winter forecast is out and breaks down like this:

November:  Temps at or slightly below normal for the deep south and southeast.  Precip is below normal across the deep south and above for the southeast coast from FL to VA and north.

December:  Temps are slightly above normal for the deep south and southeast.  Precip is above normal across the deep south and southeast.  Precip is slightly below normal across western sections of TN and northern MS.

January:  Temps are much below normal across the entire southeast and much of the central and eastern parts of the country (slightly below normal is shown along the Gulf coast).  Precip is at or above normal across most of the deep south and southeast.

February:  Temps are far below across much of the southeast (outside of immediate coastal sections), with much below temps shown across most of the central and eastern US.  Precip is below normal for the mountains and west and across much of the deep south.  The Piedmont sections and east toward the coastal plain maintain normal to above normal precip.

March:  Temps are much below across the south-central US and slightly below across generally most  of the US, save the northern tier, including the deep south and southeast.  Precip is shown as normal across most of the SE with above normal across western sections of the deep south and south-central US.

Looks pretty good.  The summary of the text suggest that after a mild start, January should quickly turn cold with blocking more abundant as we work through the end of the month, culminating with a Frigid February.  Given the active STJ, there should be more than a couple opportunities for snow and ice across the deep south and southeast.

That would be perfect.  Even knowing how terrible all the forecasts came out last year, having a solid nino gives me more hope this year that we could have a good year, no matter what the forecasts say. 

I don't get that either, warm Nov in the east looks like a given but it's a long month. He is going really cold for Jan/Feb, colder than last Jan/Feb.

You can get alot of insitu wedges to develop in Nov that will damper the effects of the big pig ridge showing up on the 500mb maps. With a active stj thats going to start increasing its influence as we flip the calendar to N,D,J,F all thanks to el-nino. Amazing what clouds will do along with 15 hours of darkness to the avg daytime highs.

The CFS has spoken for the month of Nov, predicting +3 to +4K anomalies, which if correct would be very warm for the month. I went back and looked at the past 30 years of any warm enso's that had warmth up and down the east coast for Nov...uh oh...

If you restrict it to mod+ nino's the warm Nov's usually bode well for snowy winters though. 1902-03 was the only mod+ nino that had a warm Nov that didn't translate to a snowy winter for us...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/mchen/CFSv2FCST/monthly/images/CFSv2.NaT2m.20151031.201511.gif

post-2311-0-05580700-1446295342_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-73221500-1446295398_thumb.pn

Hopefully the euro is correct on the nino plumes. The western areas seem to maintain well into Feb/Mar. This is what we need to lock in a pattern like we saw in 09/10. That dynamic of the warm western ENSO regions set's up the couplet of a strong aleutian low/colder waters north of hawaii/with the warmer waters to the south(image 2). Combine that with -AO and you get the locked in pattern.

ps2png-atls01-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

anomnight.1.21.2010.gif

post-233-0-59593400-1446308538_thumb.png

Couple of big AO spikes in Nov....ugly

htts11.postimg.org/57qeh8nc3/image.png

The PV looks to be getting its act together...when should we start seeing Cohen's theory get going with some blows to the PV, Dec?

The ++AO already looks daunting and it's only Nov 2nd. Going to suck if we have to wait three months for blocking, if it materializes...

The PV looks to be getting its act together...when should we start seeing Cohen's theory get going with some blows to the PV, Dec?

The ++AO already looks daunting and it's only Nov 2nd. Going to suck if we have to wait three months for blocking, if it materializes...

Yeah pack I think December first of January if it materializes. The one good thing is that these ao and nao spikes have occurred in October and now in November. I'm just glad we are not in December heading into January looking at this.

Tranquillo Amigo... it's only November. This is will be an incredible winter. The SAI, the PDO, the dropping solar cycle, along with the strong Nino.... I'm all-in. Get the shovels ready.

Agreed, I really like what is happining right now. To have a warm November, the indices need to be bad right now(remeber see-saw). Get us closer to December and that's when I hope to see the flip (-AO, +PNA, and who knows even a -NAO).

Archived