joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BDL hit it yesterday on multiple hourly obs. They were 90F at 4pm and 91F at 5pm.

But how about the site more comparable to you, ORH today? A scorching 82F.

I'm not concerned about what 1,000 feet hits. They/we never have a chance for a heat wave..and certainly not in late August. I'm concerned at verifying at the big climate site in CT. I am on record at 7 -8 days of 90 starting yesterday thru this Much AN stretch into early Sept.

Got back to CT this afternoon from the ADK's and forgot how miserably hot it gets down here on a regular basis on the summer(and what it's like to have consistent cell service...). Thankfully only a bit more than a week here and then back up to Boston to clear out my apartment once my subletter moves out and then to move into a new place on the 31st. Hope everyone's summers have been going well!

Honestly, screw low elevations in the summer. These cool nights and nice days are awesome. I know dews aren't incredible soupy allowing for better cooling, but the weather is great.

We were pretty warm up here last night up this way... only 63F at MPV (1200ft) and 66F at MVL(750ft) which is quite warm, given the climo normals at both spots is 54F for a low. 

Looks like in your area did tickle upper 50s in Windsor County.  If you look at the far southern part of this map there's a 59F right on the east slope (Spine generally runs on the county borders), and that's Ludlow at 1,500ft.

We were pretty warm up here last night up this way... only 63F at MPV (1200ft) and 66F at MVL(750ft) which is quite warm, given the climo normals at both spots is 54F for a low.

Looks like in your area did tickle upper 50s in Windsor County. If you look at the far southern part of this map there's a 59F right on the east slope (Spine generally runs on the county borders), and that's Ludlow at 1,500ft.

August_16_min.png

Yeah they have a dial thermometer here which seems to run a tick too cool, so I estimated U50s. But even now, I feel that cool, moist air coming off the woods as the sun sets over Okemo. It's really nice here in VT. Got to make the trip north to you one of these days.

Yeah they have a dial thermometer here which seems to run a tick too cool, so I estimated U50s. But even now, I feel that cool, moist air coming off the woods as the sun sets over Okemo. It's really nice here in VT. Got to make the trip north to you one of these days.

There's just a nice cool feeling regardless of the temperature in the evening as the shadows grow on the hillsides, and that radiational cooling process begins.  On the clear nights there is usually an abrupt temperature drop right around sunset...the timing dependent on when your exact location goes into the shadows.  Then later on at night it all levels off in all areas...those clear nights feel great when the cold sinks in.

Regarding the shadows...this evening was a good example of stations that are more shaded than others.  Hillside aspect is very important.  West side of ridges run warmer than east side shadows as the sun goes down. 

There's just a nice cool feeling regardless of the temperature in the evening as the shadows grow on the hillsides, and that radiational cooling process begins. On the clear nights there is usually an abrupt temperature drop right around sunset...the timing dependent on when your exact location goes into the shadows. Then later on at night it all levels off in all areas...those clear nights feel great when the cold sinks in.

Regarding the shadows...this evening was a good example of stations that are more shaded than others. Hillside aspect is very important. West side of ridges run warmer than east side shadows as the sun goes down.

Radiational_Cooling_August16_Shade_or_no_Shade.jpg

From sweat to sweatshirt almost. Pretty awesome. Winni is the same way too, but I feel like we moderate a bit very close to the lake.

It's been real nice here. Echo lake today off rt 100 today. Just enjoy seeing the stars with some alcohol lol.

There's just a nice cool feeling regardless of the temperature in the evening as the shadows grow on the hillsides, and that radiational cooling process begins.  On the clear nights there is usually an abrupt temperature drop right around sunset...the timing dependent on when your exact location goes into the shadows.  Then later on at night it all levels off in all areas...those clear nights feel great when the cold sinks in.

Regarding the shadows...this evening was a good example of stations that are more shaded than others.  Hillside aspect is very important.  West side of ridges run warmer than east side shadows as the sun goes down. 

attachicon.gifRadiational_Cooling_August16_Shade_or_no_Shade.jpg

I know that process very well.  With a hill to my west, I get that early cool down period.  Especially as summer progresses, it makes the evenings much more bearable. 

Had a max temp of 83° today off a low of 62°.  What a way to run a heat wave.....

It's always impressive when it's between the hourly obs!  At least HFD was able to maintain it for the hourly.  IJD hit it between hourly's as well but there the hourly's were 88°....go figure. 

At least it's somewhat legitimized by the fact that ASOS temperatures are 5 minute averages, so it's not like a home station that ticks up to 89.5 for 10 seconds and that's your high.

Fully convinced people who don't work and play outside for extended periods are the only sickos who enjoy HHH and all the bugs and manky smells that come with it. I mean what's the redeeming value. I understand those who like the heat but just don't think anyone who spends hours outside wants high dews. Useless

Archived