• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Sometimes I wish I had a pond.  

But then I remember how much I enjoy averaging less than one bug bite per summer here.

I used to get eaten alive whenever I stayed at Lake Winni...whether it was Rattlesnake Island or Moultonborough. Maybe your bugs just hate rt3.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that pond has been in every one of your webcam images. That's amazing. Been a very dry summer for many of us, especially after the deluge on July 1st.

Do you think it will come back quickly once it rains? How long does it take to fill?

nzucker...we excavated a low spot in our field to create the pond so it is not a natural feature.  The only way it fills is by runoff.  There is a natural gully in the field that you can't see in the cam.  If there is a heavy rain  (over 2-3") water will flow down the gully and flow into the pond.  In the spring the gully flows with melting snow.  I don't know when it will be filled again, could take till the spring but a 6 or 7" month of tropical rains could do it.  Once the ground is saturated that gully starts.  Right now everything just goes into the ground.  Today's 1" of rain will do nothing except what falls into the bowl.  

0.91" today in the backyard, we'll see if any of the stuff in northern New York is able to swing through here and add any appreciable rainfall.  I'd love to get over 1.00" by 7am tomorrow haha.

Closest Wunderground station to me (maybe 1.5 miles away) has had 0.90" today, so fairly consistent around town I would imagine.  Ski resort base is at 1.00" exactly. 

Really wish PF didn't show me that. Ugh.

8/12/2015   5:15 AM   NH-MR-45   Northfield 2.8 E  0.78  0.0  0.0  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-MR-43   Boscawen 2.2 SSE  0.76  NA  NA  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-MR-33   Boscawen 2.2 SE  0.78  NA  NA  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-BK-1   Tilton Northfield 3.3 NE  1.64  NA  NA  NH Belknap

I'm not on cocorahs, but I would be Northfield 1W...just a smidgen too far south.

Really wish PF didn't show me that. Ugh.

8/12/2015   5:15 AM   NH-MR-45   Northfield 2.8 E  0.78  0.0  0.0  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-MR-43   Boscawen 2.2 SSE  0.76  NA  NA  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-MR-33   Boscawen 2.2 SE  0.78  NA  NA  NH Merrimack

8/12/2015   7:00 AM   NH-BK-1   Tilton Northfield 3.3 NE  1.64  NA  NA  NH Belknap

I'm not on cocorahs, but I would be Northfield 1W...just a smidgen too far south.

lol sorry dude.  I just saw that listed in the top 3 for New Hampshire reports and thought maybe you got lit up overnight with a storm or something.  I now see the other Northfield location that had 0.78". 

There's some pretttty heavy rain in those. Got drilled by two of them already.

Yeah I was impressed by the two we got hit with.  Huge rain drops coming down with some force.  Have picked up another 0.27" in the Stratus gauge.

The first one was more intense with 0.17" but this second one (below) dropped a quick tenth as it moved down Mountain Road (RT 108).

Very variable reports on the PWS network...funny to see like Essex, VT with 0.09" next to 0.59" next to 0.33" and 0.06", haha. One road gets 0.6" while one road over just wets the pavement.

Radar has been going to town every single time one of these hits the immediate western slope, I'd imagine Underhill State Park has picked up some decent rain today.  Each one seems to unload with "red echoes" on radar right on the immediate west slope. 

Aug_12_popcorn2_zpsp18i6kzl.gif

Archived