• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a rouge relatively loud thunder with clear blue skies all around, but evidently it came from the isolated storms developing on the other side of Mansfield. 

August1_zpscwc7hzs0.gif

I didn't get a pic but I saw the CB from that. Some mammatus on the underside of the anvil.

Had a rouge relatively loud thunder with clear blue skies all around, but evidently it came from the isolated storms developing on the other side of Mansfield.

We got a few brief drops at the house in the early afternoon, and my wife said they had a similar short sprinkle in Morrisville.  The weather made for some fantastic views today, with the clouds dancing around the mountains, patches of blue here, a darker patch of gray there, etc.  It’s somewhat just coincidence that we had the cooler dry air in here today of course, but combined with the mix of clouds and sun it certainly had that feel of early fall as we turned the page to August.  I’ve typically found August 1st to work well as a round number for starting early fall in NNE, although I know that more notable climate shift is actually a week or so away around here.  Our old butternut tree that always begins losings its leaves around this time of year started doing so in the past few days, so the colored leaves on the ground are adding to that feel of the season.

I can see some lightning low on the horizon and the only cell to my north is the one way up in northeast VT... I think this is my new lightning distance visibility record.

On a dark night with otherwise clear skies, the flashes can be seen from maximum distance.  Some years ago I saw flashes from a storm in the Rangeley area while we were on Route 1 in Belfast, about 100 miles away.

August1_zpscwc7hzs0.gif

So I found this fascinating photo taken by someone at BTV NWS of these small cells as they developed. The time stamp on the radar above (7:21pm), and the photo below (7:20pm) correspond nicely. The view is from the radar site looking NE at the developing showers and thunderstorms. At the right side of the photo you can just barely see the southern tip of Mansfield, but most of it is completely obscured by that heavier cell on radar. Underhill, VT right under that rain shaft on the right in this photo picked up 0.78" yesterday.

11754311_907954592609776_256786598527440

So I found this fascinating photo taken by someone at BTV NWS of these small cells as they developed. The time stamp on the radar above (7:21pm), and the photo below (7:20pm) correspond nicely. The view is from the radar site looking NE at the developing showers and thunderstorms. At the right side of the photo you can just barely see the southern tip of Mansfield, but most of it is completely obscured by that heavier cell on radar. Underhill, VT right under that rain shaft on the right in this photo picked up 0.78" yesterday.

11754311_907954592609776_256786598527440

That is an awesome catch on their part. I am looking forward to the storm chances tomorrow. Here is a shot I captured close to home this evening of the Winooski Gorge:

11754577_10102789711602499_1443655376986

I couldn't get there but somewhere just east of Richmond just got hammered. I hope no hikers were on Camel's Hump. I had a 1.9 inch hail indicator on that cell with almost 70dbz returns.

I was in Cabot this afternoon and thought for sure we were going to get whacked pretty hard. Wind picking up, pitch black sky and several vivid cgi strikes over towards the Walden/Hardwick area. Never hit where we were though. Someone must have gotten a pretty good one though.

a pretty solid bust here in the lower Champlain Valley.  Trace precip in Orwell.  Lightning and thunder to the north around 2:30 pm as a storm collected itself over Bridport and drifted east/northeast to Middlebury/Monkton, where hail was reported.

watering the lawn like crazy,  must be some 2" amounts in the strip between you and me....  by the way the video they are showing on Boston Ch 7 sure looks like a funnel cloud.

The red pixels were pretty underwhelming... lots of sparse but giant drops that look cool but don't amount to much. Only .57" and that includes .24" from the first storm earlier today.

Purple pixels missed my place but really blossomed downrange.  Clouds as I approached Belgrade were as dark (with a hint of greenish) as any I've seen in a long while, and the whitecaps on Long Pond were impressive.  Some very heavy RA just to the north, though I was on the SE edge of things - sun trying to come out on my left while cars were pulling over in the downpour.  Bit of pea hail at home, but all melted before I got there.

Archived