• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

I hiked Katahdin with my dad when I was 12...it took from 8am to 9pm since we had to hike in 3.3 miles to the base camp. If you can stay up there it's much easier. The Knife Edge is epic and beautiful if a little frightening. Baxter has a ton of wildlife as it's so well protected. I saw a moose up there.

I did a lot of hiking when I was real young. I did Mt. Washington via Tuckerman when I was 6, Mt. Washington via the much more strenuous Huntington when I was 11, Katahdin at 12, Mansfield at 16, then Washington again at 17...the last major hike my dad and I did as he started to get older and out of shape by the time I hit college.

He and I did do a spectacular 4-day backcountry canoe trip in the Adirondacks when I was 21. We have had a lot of great experiences outdoors.

My first (of two) ascents of Katahdin was done as a day trip from our (then) home in BGR, accompanied by my father-in-law, who had led his scout troop on several multi-day AT hikes in NNJ/SNY.  Reaching the northern terminus was a longtime goal of his, and he was content to wait at the summit while I fulfilled a shorter-term goal, hiking the Knife Edge.  Since our car was parked at Katahdin Stream Campground, I had to travel both ways.  Heading toward Pamola, I'd passed a group of five on the west side of Chimney peak, one of whom was terrified/acrophobic.  On my return trip, I found this hiker plastered like a starfish to the steeper east side of Chimney, and since the wx was closing in (we would hit rain just as we tipped off the Tablelands) I did the unwise thing, scooting up a face which should've been done with roped protection.   We were about 9-10 hours on the mountain, plus the two-hour commute each way - long day and a great one.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love those lightning photos!

Last night had a nice light show and some big boomers around 1:30am as a complex moved through. 

Found 0.31" in the gauge this morning...J.Spin's location on the Spine axis showing how to grab an extra tenth or two out of each of these events as the moisture squeezes out over the mountains with 0.49". 

It seems that the adjustment is to go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned office for 2 or 3 months a year.

Lol although not really any different (and def not worse) than going from a heated house to a heated car to a heated office in our winter.

As we all know though I prefer the heat. I have no problem doing physical activity in HHH, and even for those who don't like it, there's the morning and evening.

Was down in the mountains of NC this past week and it was great. 85-95 by day, 65-72 by night. A boomer about every other afternoon, got some hail from one of them too.

Lol although not really any different (and def not worse) than going from a heated house to a heated car to a heated office in our winter.

As we all know though I prefer the heat. I have no problem doing physical activity in HHH, and even for those who don't like it, there's the morning and evening.

Was down in the mountains of NC this past week and it was great. 85-95 by day, 65-72 by night. A boomer about every other afternoon, got some hail from one of them too.

Obviously a matter of opinion, and mine is worth no more than yours.  (Maybe not as much...)

However, I can work on firewood at zero F and, once warmed up by labor, be entirely comfortable.  Even if I go in due to cold hands, in 2-3 minutes all is fine.  At 85/65, doing firewood (or any serious labor) will soon have my shirt drenched with non-evaporating sweat, chainsaw work becomes hazardous due to slippery hands and sweat-filled eyes.  When I go inside, it's 20-30 minutes (assuming no cold shower) before I cool down enough to be comfortable.  Fewer deerflies in January, too.

Last night had a nice light show and some big boomers around 1:30am as a complex moved through.

Found 0.31" in the gauge this morning...J.Spin's location on the Spine axis showing how to grab an extra tenth or two out of each of these events as the moisture squeezes out over the mountains with 0.49".

attachicon.gifjuly28.gif

Yeah, the ‘ol spine keeps doing its thing.  Liquid is just about 6” for the month, which is about an inch above average, and calendar year is now 31.41”, which is right near average and means we’ve fully caught up from the liquid deficits earlier in the season.

Yeah, the ‘ol spine keeps doing its thing. Liquid is just about 6” for the month, which is about an inch above average, and calendar year is now 31.41”, which is right near average and means we’ve fully caught up from the liquid deficits earlier in the season.

Yeah I'm at 5.27" on the month at home, and I think the Stowe 0.2sw station is right around 5.0".

Nothing near the double digit wetness of June but enough rain to keep the vegetation green.

Obviously a matter of opinion, and mine is worth no more than yours.  (Maybe not as much...)

However, I can work on firewood at zero F and, once warmed up by labor, be entirely comfortable.  Even if I go in due to cold hands, in 2-3 minutes all is fine.  At 85/65, doing firewood (or any serious labor) will soon have my shirt drenched with non-evaporating sweat, chainsaw work becomes hazardous due to slippery hands and sweat-filled eyes.  When I go inside, it's 20-30 minutes (assuming no cold shower) before I cool down enough to be comfortable.  Fewer deerflies in January, too.

Yeah its probably related to what we like to do outside. I'm not a winter sports fan...don't snow-mobile, only an occasional skiier and snow shoe-er, but honestly I'd be totally fine if I never did either of them again. I've only ever chopped firewood for camping. But I love hiking, running, tennis, golf, kayaking, etc. I find it very hard to do things outdoors in cold, but have no problem doing any of the above in heat. Plus I can eat, drink, and socialize outside.

I also abhor having to dress in layers and having to bundle up outside. I'd much rather vacation to winter and live in summer.

But, that being said I do enjoy my Air Conditioning lol. I keep my indoors quite cool. Definitely wouldn't want to live in the south without it (but I view it the same as using the heat in winter).

Yeah I'm at 5.27" on the month at home, and I think the Stowe 0.2sw station is right around 5.0".

Nothing near the double digit wetness of June but enough rain to keep the vegetation green.

Well, today is the last reporting day of the month, so that means liquid will be coming in at 6.23” for July.  Calendar year liquid is at 31.71”, which is roughly average pace.

Northfield, NH

July 2015

Averages

Max: 78.6°F (-0.1°F)

Min: 58.2°F (+0.3°F)

Mean: 68.4°F (+0.1°F)

Extremes

HiMax: 89.5°F (29th)

LoMin: 48.9°F (17th)

LoMax: 66.9°F (4th)

HiMin: 65.5°F (19th & 20th)

Precipitation

Total: 2.80"

MaxDaily: 1.65" (1st)

Snowfall

Total: 0.0"

MaxDaily: 0.0" (---)

Snow Depth

SnowDD: 0

AvgDepth: 0"

MaxDepth: 0" (---)

MinDepth: 0" (---)

Wind

PeakGust: 24mph (19th)

MaxDaily: 2.5mph (15th)

Max Temps

90.0s 0

80.0s 14

70.0s 16

60.0s 1

50.0s 0

40.0s 0

30.0s 0

20.0s 0

10.0s 0

0.0s 0

-0.0s 0

Min Temps

70.0s 0

60.0s 12

50.0s 16

40.0s 3

30.0s 0

20.0s 0

10.0s 0

0.0s 0

-0.0s 0

-10.0s 0

-20.0s 0

Precipitation

>= 0.01" 15

>= 0.10" 5

>= 0.25" 3

>= 0.50" 1

>= 1.00" 1

Snowfall

>= 0.1" 0

>= 1.0" 0

>= 3.0" 0

>= 6.0" 0

>= 12.0" 0

Bright Sunshine (>= 600w/m^2)

AvgMonthly: 4.2hrs

MaxDaily: 7.6hrs (3rd)

July numbers

Avg max:  73.6

Avg min:  53.7

Avg mean: 63.7    -1.7

Warmest:  82  12th

Warm min:  62  28th

Coolest:  41  17th

Cool max:  61  26th

Precip:  4.43"    +0.38

Max day:  2.06"  20th

YTD:  24.04"   -3.43"

Thru July, 2015 is running 3.5F BN, much the coldest I've measured here.  That's despite May being +4.7F.  The other 6 months are -4.9.

Archived