• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in MPV, got drilled pretty hard with that line. Pretty good cloud structure, then the sky opened up with torrential rain and a lot of peas and dimes.

Yeah, looking out my office window on the third floor of the Pavilion building, I couldn't even see the hillside across the river for 5 or 10 minutes. I should have run out and grabbed some hail samples. Saw a bit of lightening to.

For the mountain crowd in the Greens, I noticed the other day that a new PWS has popped up in a very interesting location.

Somehow a live rapid update private weather station has popped up on Whiteface Mountain, VT, which is one peak north of Smugglers Notch ski resort's Madonna Mountain.  The only thing I know that is up on that mountain is the Long Trail, so I have no idea who set up this station at 3,600ft on its summit.

Pretty fascinating to see a summit weather station just appear with temp/dew/precip/wind data updating in real time. 

Nittany, do you guys at WFO BTV have any idea where this came from?  At first I thought it was maybe Smuggs, but they don't own any land up there and if it was the ski resort, they would've put it on Sterling or Madonna.   Either way, along with Mount Mansfield we now have another very high elevation weather station which is awesome to see.

Whiteface%20Mountain%20VT_zpsghbjipr9.jp

Regression is a b*tch.

I don't really mind it, but it just had to happen the year I have my first veggie garden. It still seems to be doing okay, but I could go for a deep soaking soon. Maybe the lack of rain is actually encouraging a deeper root system and warmer soils...idk.

Storms passed north and south, a trace in the gauge, not even enough to drown the deerfly that wandered in.

Tuesday's eentsy bit of pea hail marks the 4th time in 17+ years we've had hail at our place.  Two of the other three, in August 2006 and August 2009, were also just a smattering of 1/4" stuff.  Two years ago in June we had slightly more, with some 1/2" chunks, and because there was no wind or liquid precip during the hail to mute the clatter, there was a minute or two of fun watching/listening as the stuff bounced from the roof to the car.

We've also had at least a dozen more significant (sometimes far more) hail events within 1-to-10 miles of my place, several with 1" ice and larger, several covering the ground, topped by the 4" of nickels and quarters that took leaves and some bark off several thousand acres 5-6 miles south of my place eight years ago.

I don't really mind it, but it just had to happen the year I have my first veggie garden. It still seems to be doing okay, but I could go for a deep soaking soon. Maybe the lack of rain is actually encouraging a deeper root system and warmer soils...idk.

It is

For the mountain crowd in the Greens, I noticed the other day that a new PWS has popped up in a very interesting location.

Somehow a live rapid update private weather station has popped up on Whiteface Mountain, VT, which is one peak north of Smugglers Notch ski resort's Madonna Mountain.  The only thing I know that is up on that mountain is the Long Trail, so I have no idea who set up this station at 3,600ft on its summit.

Pretty fascinating to see a summit weather station just appear with temp/dew/precip/wind data updating in real time. 

Nittany, do you guys at WFO BTV have any idea where this came from?  At first I thought it was maybe Smuggs, but they don't own any land up there and if it was the ski resort, they would've put it on Sterling or Madonna.   Either way, along with Mount Mansfield we now have another very high elevation weather station which is awesome to see.

Whiteface%20Mountain%20VT_zpsghbjipr9.jp

No idea, just showed up lol. We started pulling it in too. Although Sterling Mountain IS Whiteface Mountain.

No idea, just showed up lol. We started pulling it in too. Although Sterling Mountain IS Whiteface Mountain.

Sterling Mountain is Whiteface Mountain?  Smugglers Notch Ski Resort recognizes Sterling Mountain as the one on the backside of Spruce Peak. 

If you look at the Smuggs trail map, they don't have anything listed for Whiteface Mountain (just north of Madonna), but they put Sterling Mountain as the peak right next to the Notch?

I'm not as familiar with that area, but I've just always gone with what Smuggs has said.

Edit: Looking at a topo map, I don't think what I labeled is Whiteface.  I think Whiteface is one more mountain north.

Sterling Mountain is Whiteface Mountain?  Smugglers Notch Ski Resort recognizes Sterling Mountain as the one on the backside of Spruce Peak. 

If you look at the Smuggs trail map, they don't have anything listed for Whiteface Mountain (just north of Madonna), but they put Sterling Mountain as the peak right next to the Notch?

I'm not as familiar with that area, but I've just always gone with what Smuggs has said.

attachicon.gifSmuggs.jpg

Edit: Looking at a topo map, I don't think what I labeled is Whiteface.  I think Whiteface is one more mountain north.

From further reading it seems Sterling Mountain is Whiteface Mountain, but its not the same Sterling that Smuggs recognizes.

http://www.summitpost.org/sterling-whiteface-mountain/200906

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&distance_1=100&distance_lat_1=44.58190&distance_lon_1=-72.73990&map_1=1&is_open=1

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/whiteface-sterling-morse-madonna

https://goo.gl/maps/T5ae4

According to Google it looks like this:

rs96jt.png

Maybe Smuggs just "changed" their side of Spruce to Sterling to differentiate?

According to Google it looks like this:

rs96jt.png

Maybe Smuggs just "changed" their side of Spruce to Sterling to differentiate?

Yeah that makes sense, branding their side to match their lift/trail pods.

Its confusing for a Smuggs skier/rider if you say a new weather station is online at the top of Sterling Mountain, haha. Just ask Conor which one is Sterling ;).

Yeah that makes sense, branding their side to match their lift/trail pods.

Its confusing for a Smuggs skier/rider if you say a new weather station is online at the top of Sterling Mountain, haha. Just ask Conor which one is Sterling ;).

Haha yeah he said he talked to you about it. I enlightened him.

Archived