• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty amazing for this time of year for that and frost talk to boot

On July 8, 1969, Farmington coop touched 32.  Next lowest for the month (excluding the 33 on 7/9/69 that was an obvious 7:01 AM obs on 7/8) was 34 on 7/1/1899.  In a different climate, I had 32 and a light frost on 7/31/1978 in Ft. Kent - scorched the edges of my pumpkin leaves and killed my next door neighbor's green beans.  Then we had two mornings in the upper 20s in late August that year.

On July 8, 1969, Farmington coop touched 32.  Next lowest for the month (excluding the 33 on 7/9/69 that was an obvious 7:01 AM obs on 7/8) was 34 on 7/1/1899.  In a different climate, I had 32 and a light frost on 7/31/1978 in Ft. Kent - scorched the edges of my pumpkin leaves and killed my next door neighbor's green beans.  Then we had two mornings in the upper 20s in late August that year.

I think we maybe looking at an early fall this year

It's like the winter when a light snowfall will mainly be below advisory criteria but BTV's AFD says "expecting widespread 2-4 inch amounts but some of our snowier spots in and along the Spine may see isolated 4-6 amounts, but you know who you are."

Hehe, yeah, mountain life – know thy microclimate.

Nice shots Eyewall! That one with the valley fog is funny as I was looking at that exact view this morning. Fog in Waterbury but it didn't form in Stowe this morning. Could see the fog from Waterbury Center out to Monpelier and beyond in eastern VT.

Thank you and yeah I hiked out of the notch just before 6am with the intention of catching the good light for photos. It would have been awesome if the fog extended up through Stowe as well, but it made for a photogenic scene none the less. I saw your post on FB of the valley fog.

Figure I'll give a NNE South obs report. Ran into a short hail burst in Destin, FL around 3:00 central time. Looked to be about pea sized and only lasted a minute or two. Temp on the car thermometer dropped from 94 to 86. Ad it was short in duration as I bought a new car just before we came down here and don't need it banged up. Will start the drive home on Wednesday and hope to arrive to cooler weather.

Figure I'll give a NNE South obs report. Ran into a short hail burst in Destin, FL around 3:00 central time. Looked to be about pea sized and only lasted a minute or two. Temp on the car thermometer dropped from 94 to 86. Ad it was short in duration as I bought a new car just before we came down here and don't need it banged up. Will start the drive home on Wednesday and hope to arrive to cooler weather.

I enjoyed this post.

Wow its humid out there... 83/74 currently at MVL.  I've been up on the mountain all day, so I was surprised to see how hot it got down here.  MVL showing at least a high of 87F.  Meanwhile, our high at 1,500ft was 81F but likely due to cloud cover hugging the ridge. 

I just can't believe the ASOS dew is up to 74F, lol.  That's ridiculous.

Just had some awesomely heavy rain move through....standing water all over the place type heavy rain.  The Stratus rain gauge is just starting to overflow so around 1.00 or a couple hundredths more.  I'll find out more tomorrow morning, but the majority of that fell in around 20 minutes.  Massive rain drops that made me go out and check for hail, but no hail or cores in the drops.  But drops that large are very efficient at filling up a rain gauge, haha. 

Whole bunch of rain here yesterday, esp last night.  St. J had about 3.2 inches if my math is right.  Danville had a big storm roll in around 6 last night.  There was part of a big tree down in Danville on the Peacham Road.

Had 2.07" from two TS.  The one last evening at 8:30-9:45 had 20-30 strikes/minute with many close shots.  oddly that frequent lightning was flashing for nearly 30 minutes before any serious RA arrived.  Lost power at 9:45 after a strike near where our gravel road meets the pavement, 2,000' away, and anticipated a long outage if just our 3-customer road was affected.  However, lights came on an hour later.  Storm #2 at 4-5 AM was fairly strong, but nowhere near like the 1st one.  Neighbor lost a medium-size basswood only 100 yards from our place, but it was full of defect and I think it fell from wind rather than lightning.

Archived