Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 General disco

Powerball

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PRetty impressive temperature gradient on the 00z NAM for tomorrow

83*F at DTW and 47*F at New Baltimore...

temp21.gif

Probably overdone with that 47. It would be incredible if there were almost 40 degree difference like that. Hell I don't even think southern lake huron is that cold anymore. Last I checked it was in the low 50s.

Haven't touched the thermostat in a month and a half and have only closed the windows for a day or 2 in that timeframe.

Glorious night tonight.

Saw that better looking cell out by you cyclone....hearing thunder is like finding a ten dollar bill in the cushions this spring so far...a rare moment

Probably overdone with that 47. It would be incredible if there were almost 40 degree difference like that. Hell I don't even think southern lake huron is that cold anymore. Last I checked it was in the low 50s.

Some of that is probably due to convective downdrafts also. But even with a gradient less extreme, that's still pretty darn impressive for late May.

Those who are out during the late afternoon hours would be in for quite a shock.

DTX has dropped highs tomorrow 10 degrees over what they forecast yesterday. They now forecast a high for DTW of 51F. And it could easily go a bit lower. Just crazy.

The record cold high tomorrow is 46F set in 1910, during an anomalous day when a rain/snow mix occurred at Detroit for what is by far Detroits latest flakes. However the next coldest high for May 31st is 54F.

It will be irritating to have one rogue day on the LAST day of May **** up this month's warm anomalies, possibly by as much as a degree or two.

It honestly would be worse if you had a midnight high of 70F or something like that, and then most of the day was in the 40s and 50s, because the anomalies would be misleading and it would not have felt as warm as the stats say.

It honestly would be worse if you had a midnight high of 70F or something like that, and then most of the day was in the 40s and 50s, because the anomalies would be misleading and it would not have felt as warm as the stats say.

It's been an abnormally warm week and month overall though, so that wouldn't really be as bothersome to keep the final numbers from being dragged down by one abnormally cold day.

In fact, tomorrow could be Detroit's coldest day this month if the trends continue.

It will be irritating to have one rogue day on the LAST day of May **** up this month's warm anomalies, possibly by as much as a degree or two.

November 2014 says "Hi!"

It ended up 13th coldest Nov on record....had the 30th been a seasonable day (rather than a 1-day ill-timed torch) it would have been the 8th coldest.

The latest system was another disappointment... limited shear, limited instability.  Few locations around here got much of anything.  I finished with 0.09".

May was an odd month.  Tempwise and precipwise, it was a pretty normal month.  There was no real heat, but we had a fair number of near avg, above avg, and below avg days.  Rainfall in my yard finished at 4.48".  However, stormwise, the month was also filled with one dud system after another.  A few times there was a slight risk of severe storms, but nothing ever came close to panning out.  It was nearly a thunderless month, which is even more notable given that the pattern was rather active and I had rainfall on twelve days.

Flood watch roughly along and south of I-69 in Michigan...

SANILAC-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-LAPEER-ST. CLAIR-LIVINGSTON-OAKLAND-
MACOMB-WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANDUSKY...OWOSSO...FLINT...LAPEER...
PORT HURON...HOWELL...PONTIAC...WARREN...ANN ARBOR...DETROIT...
ADRIAN...MONROE
1038 AM EDT SAT MAY 30 2015

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH
SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WATCH FOR A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN...INCLUDING
  THE FOLLOWING AREAS...GENESEE...LAPEER...LENAWEE...
  LIVINGSTON...MACOMB...MONROE...OAKLAND...SANILAC...
  SHIAWASSEE...ST. CLAIR...WASHTENAW AND WAYNE.

* FROM 5 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON

* ROUNDS OF SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TODAY
  THROUGH SUNDAY...AS AN UNUSUALLY MOIST AIRMASS COMBINES WITH A
  FRONTAL BOUNDARY STALLING OUT OVER EXTREME SOUTHERN LOWER
  MICHIGAN. RAINFALL TOTALS BY SUNDAY EVENING ARE EXPECTED TO
  RANGE IN THE 1 TO 3 INCH RANGE ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA...WITH
  LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

* ALTHOUGH THE PAST WEEK OR TWO OVER SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN HAS BEEN
  RELATIVELY DRY...RAINFALL TOTALS IN EXCESS OF 2 INCHES WILL
  BRING A THREAT OF FLOODING...ESPECIALLY IN THE DETROIT URBAN
  AREA...AS THUNDERSTORMS LATER TODAY COULD QUICKLY PRODUCE
  TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS...POTENTIALLY LEADING TO LOCALIZED FLASH
  FLOODING.

More thunder-less heavy rain showers here. The wind shift and radar/satellite trends suggest that will be it.

On the plus side, the high did get up to about 82*F.

Thundering here now, you might get some of this next batch riding along I-94.

The last round didn't bring any thunder here but the rain was very heavy.

Archived