joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 General disco

Powerball

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit looks like it's torching, relative to most cities in the GLOV forum; 77/60 seems to be the popular numbers this hour, but DTW is 86/62.

Detroit and OH/PA are pretty much the only areas in our subforum that have had well above average temps this month, per the anamolies.

Detroit and OH/PA are pretty much the only areas in our subforum that have had well above average temps this month, per the anamolies.

It really is weird that I've been growing stuff for the past month pretty much, while some people 80-100 miles to our northwest are talking about just now starting to plant things since the last frost has happened. I know we usually are one of, if not the first in the state to have the last frost, but this just seems extreme to me. There were hard frosts in the past weeks just in the M-59 corridor, and that's not far at all from us.

I don't remember when the last hard frost here was, but it was quite a while ago.

One rare time where I am very glad for the lake and urban heat island influences.

It really is weird that I've been growing stuff for the past month pretty much, while some people 80-100 miles to our northwest are talking about just now starting to plant things since the last frost has happened. I know we usually are one of, if not the first in the state to have the last frost, but this just seems extreme to me. There were hard frosts in the past weeks just in the M-59 corridor, and that's not far at all from us.

I don't remember when the last hard frost here was, but it was quite a while ago.

One rare time where I am very glad for the lake and urban heat island influences.

Agreed 100% about the UHI. 

It's definitely been a pretty decent May IMO. It hasn't been sunny nor stormy enough for my liking, but beggars can't be choosers when you have no frosts/freezes, only one day with a sub-60*F high and only one day with a sub-40*F low.

Probably better than having a prolonged heat wave, especially so early in the warm season.

Today was a good example of clouds being a blessing..the times that it was sunny this afternoon it was scorching hot.  Lots of relief as those clouds rolled through.  The rain dropped the temp back nearly 20F earlier.

The rains overall have been beneficial.  Yesterday was an all day soaker and even today it was only a short period of downpour...  I think we'll enter summer with plenty of soil moisture.   

0.35" of rain so far and coming down pretty good.  Heavy band is almost here.

Getting a little nervous the way this line is trying to kink up.  Just had a circulation that may have put down a weak tor in Henry County.  Also another one up north of Maquoketa.  The portion of the line heading this way looks like it's trying to kink up as well.  Gotta watch these little features in an event like this.

I received the weakest part of the morning disturbance, only picking up 0.32" while areas west and east got 1+".  I did, however, hear some brief, weak thunder for the first time in quite a while.  Just in the last thirty minutes a small, but efficient shower moved through and quickly dropped another 0.33 to up my total for the day to 0.65".  Up to 2 inches fell in far nw Illinois.

It appears the more progressive solution for the late week system has won out on the models.  Friday looks to be the day to get some decent storms, with potentially several days to dry out this weekend into mid next week.

Archived