joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 General disco

Powerball

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a beautiful looking storm across the northern plains.

Parts of ND are expecting 3-5" of snow tonight.  If it pans out, it has to be the heaviest snow on record so late in the season...or at least close to it.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND

1106 AM CDT SUN MAY 17 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OVER MUCH OF

NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA TONIGHT...

.RAIN AND SNOW IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW LATE THIS

AFTERNOON OVER NORTHWESTERN AND NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA. SNOW

SHOULD BEGIN ACCUMULATING THIS AFTERNOON INTO THIS EVENING AND

CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES CAN

BE EXPECTED ALONG AND NORTHEAST OF A LINE FROM STANLEY AND

KENMARE...TO GARRISON AND HARVEY AND CARRINGTON. SOME AREAS IN THE

TURTLE MOUNTAINS MAY RECEIVE HIGHER AMOUNTS.

IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW...STRONG NORTH WINDS OF 25 TO 45 MPH ARE

EXPECTED. THIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL TRAVEL PROBLEMS AND WILL

INCREASE THE THREAT TO LIVESTOCK.

PEOPLE PLANNING TRAVEL ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA SHOULD

ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION. SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW

EXTRA STOPPING TIME. THE NORTH DAKOTA HIGHWAY PATROL ADVISES NOT

USING YOUR CRUISE CONTROL WHILE DRIVING IN SNOW COVERED OR ICY

ROADS.

Turned out to be a nice July-like afternoon. The high was 81*F today. 

After further research, Friday's high was 79*F and yesterday's high was 78*F.

Should have one more 80*F+ day tomorrow. 

Can't believe the dew point made it to 68 today. It REALLY feels like July with dews that high.

On the flip side, Tuesday night looks like more frost for the distant suburbs...

Yeah the gnats around here have become awful again, just like last spring/summer.  Last year they were around until July, which I've never seen before.  Usually they would only last a few weeks.  I think the lack of heat last year kept them around.  Sure hope that isn't the case this year.  Hard to be outside for more than a few secs if there isn't any wind.

Cell phone shot yesterday eve.

1zlcihe.jpg

Yeah the gnats around here have become awful again, just like last spring/summer.  Last year they were around until July, which I've never seen before.  Usually they would only last a few weeks.  I think the lack of heat last year kept them around.  Sure hope that isn't the case this year.  Hard to be outside for more than a few secs if there isn't any wind.

1zlcihe.jpg

good lord man, you have a talent!

Must have gotten a heavy shower overnight. 0.61" in my gauge, only 0.04" at DTW. Some others said they heard it pouring, I slept right through it. I had been getting only tattered remnant showers in recent days, so this is the closest Ive had to heavy rain all week.

Doubt we see any records set at Detroit, but some mid-May extremes coming. Todays forecast high is 86F (record is 93F) and tomorrow nights forecast low is 38F (record is 33F).

Doubt we see any records set at Detroit, but some mid-May extremes coming. Todays forecast high is 86F (record is 93F) and tomorrow nights forecast low is 38F (record is 33F).

Just remember it can always be worse. According to the Ohio Monthly Weather Review for May 1883, "a heavy fall of snow occurred on the 21st in the north-western parts of the State. Snow is reported on that date from Dayton, Sidney, Lima, Upper Sandusky, Wauseon, Lebanon, Westerville and Columbus. The greatest depth was 15.5 inches, at Lima. At Wauseon, the depth was 6.5 inches, at Sidney 7 inches, at Dayton 2 inches, and at Upper Sandusky 3 inches. At other stations the amount was small."

I couldn't even begin to imagine 15.5 inches of snow accumulating this time of the year.

Just remember it can always be worse. According to the Ohio Monthly Weather Review for May 1883, "a heavy fall of snow occurred on the 21st in the north-western parts of the State. Snow is reported on that date from Dayton, Sidney, Lima, Upper Sandusky, Wauseon, Lebanon, Westerville and Columbus. The greatest depth was 15.5 inches, at Lima. At Wauseon, the depth was 6.5 inches, at Sidney 7 inches, at Dayton 2 inches, and at Upper Sandusky 3 inches. At other stations the amount was small."

I couldn't even begin to imagine 15.5 inches of snow accumulating this time of the year.

Detroit received 5.0" from this snowfall. It is by far the latest measurable snowfall on record. Would probably be quite a sight on fully leafed trees. Detroits latest freeze on record is 32F on May 29, 1966 (following a horrendously unimpressive winter). Its actually amusing to see how many instances of late May flakes, frosts, or even light freezes occurred after a tame winter. The ultimate insult to injury.

I had an interesting 40mph wind gust come out of nowhere an hour ago or so when I was driving to the local store. Anyways, It was when I was right next to an entire field of dandelions that just turned white in the last couple of days. The gust blew so many seeds off at me it looked like it was snowing hard for 30 seconds :)

Yeah the gnats around here have become awful again, just like last spring/summer. Last year they were around until July, which I've never seen before. Usually they would only last a few weeks. I think the lack of heat last year kept them around. Sure hope that isn't the case this year. Hard to be outside for more than a few secs if there isn't any wind.

Great pic!

The gnats have invaded suburbia here....normally i only saw them in mass quantities when i visted family in NW IL...but they showed up yesterday and were rediculous this morning. All the walkers to school were flailing their arms and hands and running around. I'm used to it from my frequency of visits out your way...but it was depressing to see that they had invaded our airspace. (I say i am used to them, but in a similiar sense to you....outdoor activities are done ninja style as to not get swarmed and eatin' alive)

I wonder if that is a migratory thing or maybe the crazy winds from yesterday vlew a few swarms?

Great pic!

The gnats have invaded suburbia here....normally i only saw them in mass quantities when i visted family in NW IL...but they showed up yesterday and were rediculous this morning. All the walkers to school were flailing their arms and hands and running around. I'm used to it from my frequency of visits out your way...but it was depressing to see that they had invaded our airspace. (I say i am used to them, but in a similiar sense to you....outdoor activities are done ninja style as to not get swarmed and eatin' alive)

I wonder if that is a migratory thing or maybe the crazy winds from yesterday vlew a few swarms?

I wonder if there's been a decrease in the bat population.  A few years ago I heard there was some disease that was killing off the bats, and wonder if they ate gnats as well as mosquitoes.  If it's not that then something else must have changed.  It's like the Amazon Jungle out there at times lol.

I wonder if there's been a decrease in the bat population.  A few years ago I heard there was some disease that was killing off the bats, and wonder if they ate gnats as well as mosquitoes.  If it's not that then something else must have changed.  It's like the Amazon Jungle out there at times lol.

:(

bats rule, this is a shame

I have a ton of bats around my house (looks like something out of a horror movie some nights), but the gnats right now are still something fierce. They invaded about 2 weeks ago and they are relentless. Can't rely on the bats to kill off the gnats. We need a nice frosty stretch in mid May. Oh, look...it's 44F now going down to 33 tonight. Perfect!

Archived