• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2015 General disco

Powerball

Man, just missed out on a solid soaker by about 5 miles if even that. That cluster of storms over central Wayne county skirted just to my west. I could see the lightning, hear the thunder, smell the rain, but just a few drops here.

So we miss storms a few miles to the NW yesterday and now we miss storms a few miles to the SE today.

Love it! :lol:

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a point. At least in our area, people do generally equate a heatwave with several consecutive days of 90*F+ heat

Technically though, there are numerous ways to define a heatwave. Personally, I would even consider 3 consecutive days of 55*F+ weather in January a heatwave, as it's unseasonably warm weather (versus a day where the temp is just a few degrees above average).

fair enough. Definitely a stretch of unseasonably warm weather, a huge change from the 2+ year pattern. (Though strangely enough, one of the few blips in the cold pattern was last May as well). Lots of technicalities in the weather. Tell someone in a blinding snowstorm with huge drifts its not "technically" a blizzard, or someone whos got no power and tree limbs down everywhere that it wasnt "technically" a severe thunderstorm.

A great day in H-town. It hit 82° before a line of heavy rain moved in. I caught 1.20" in an hour (between 6-7 PM).

I spent the morning in Emergency Management training learning how to fly a quadcopter drone.

Then spent the afternoon hunting some morels. A very pleasant walk through the woods. Cell phone pics don't do justice.

post-830-0-10396300-1431216817_thumb.jpg

post-830-0-41539900-1431217011_thumb.jpg

Nice scenery, but this is what I was really after:

post-830-0-20889700-1431216880_thumb.jpg

We had some showers at the Tigers game last night, though I only had a T at home. And we just had a brief shower move through, though I didnt measure.

We've only had several rounds of sprinkles in the last 24 hours (just enough to leave raindrop spots on the ground), but no downpours and only a couple faint rumbles of thunder.

Tomorrow looks better for widespread t'storms though.

So we miss storms a few miles to the NW yesterday and now we miss storms a few miles to the SE today.

Yep...I could see the rain off in the distance but only some sprinkles at my house. There was a beautiful double rainbow for about 45 minutes though as that one cluster of storms rode right along the river.

Now, just ridiculously warm and humid for an early May evening. Meanwhile in the Black Hills of South Dakota, 20-30" of snow. :weenie:

Yep...I could see the rain off in the distance but only some sprinkles at my house. There was a beautiful double rainbow for about 45 minutes though as that one cluster of storms rode right along the river.

Now, just ridiculously warm and humid for an early May evening. Meanwhile in the Black Hills of South Dakota, 20-30" of snow. :weenie:

Those are the best nights in summer man. I went for a midnight jog last night and was so nice with cooler temps, no breeze, but muggy enough to not feel a chill. Can't beat it!

For days the models had a good batch of showers & storms lifting up through the area overnight and this morning, but it didn't happen.  It's cool and cloudy with just a few sprinkles.  That's not a bad thing, though, as it gives me more time to get plants in the ground.  I'm not quite sure what we'll see later today.  The severe area has been shifted back to the west and south the last couple of SPC updates, but some nice cells or a line could still move through.

Two weeks ago (Apr 26) there wasn't a leaf on a tree. One week ago (May 3) the trees were quickly blossoming, especially those with flowers, but there was still a fair amount of mainly bare. Today (May 10) all trees have leaves, many fully leafed out.

I know spring green up can be rapid anyway, but this seems especially rapid, & I think its making spring allergies even worse than normal!

Two weeks ago (Apr 26) there wasn't a leaf on a tree. One week ago (May 3) the trees were quickly blossoming, especially those with flowers, but there was still a fair amount of mainly bare. Today (May 10) all trees have leaves, many fully leafed out.

I know spring green up can be rapid anyway, but this seems especially rapid, & I think its making spring allergies even worse than normal!

The only trees that aren't in full bloom here are the youngins and two other types of mature/tall trees (which don't ever fully bloom until early June).

BTW, the same thing happened in March 2012. All it takes is an extended period of warmth/sunshine to get these trees to bloom out of nowhere.

I'm about 98% certain we're done with the snow/frost threats in the city/immediate metro area though, so I'm ok with the rapid bloom.

HRRRRRR and 4km NAM show a nice band of storms making it into the QCA around mid evening.  4km shows a nice surge of cape northward into the area just ahead of the incoming band of storms.  Before that it looks like we're going to be in a raw easterly flow for a few hours before the warm front makes it in here.  Still should make a run at 70 this afternoon with dews well into the 60s.

Crappy weather today here. 46° drizzle and 1/4 mile visibility fog.

Noticed some upper 30s introduced to the forecast this week at night. The green up around here is almost as slow as last spring. The green up is getting close to being done, but it sure took awhile.

super lush and green here

low areas in my woods where springs are have greened up, and the Aspen trees are slightly leafing but other than that, kinda has a Winter feel here still. Did notice some daffodils popping.  It needs to warm up and stay warm for Spring to pop.  Stuck around 40 again today with low clouds and s*hit.

And now we're probably going for a miss in both directions (NW and SE) today, lol.

Hopefully, tomorrow delivers very well to make up for this...

I don't think it's even going to break 50° today. Fog and drizzle continue with breezy conditions.

Mowed the grass twice - both this month. Leaves are fully out on the Birch, but other tree leaves aren't fully formed yet.

Archived