May 2015 General disco

Powerball

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figures I work 10 hours on this day. :axe:

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 83.

Inside?  That would blow.  There will be more...hopefully.

Rain all day today here..very light , good soaking rain.  Just mowed the grass so that worked well.  Not a washout, but you'll get wet if you stay out there too long.

Leaving for a 2-3 week road trip on Sunday.

Places to visit on the agenda include: Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Rocky Mountain National Park, Garden of the Gods, Wichita Mountains, New Orleans, Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach and Nashville. Will be visiting family in several locations as well along the way. Will also be doing some storm chasing along the way on days that warrant it.

1otziq.jpg

Places to visit on the agenda include: Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Rocky Mountain National Park, Garden of the Gods, Wichita Mountains, New Orleans, Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach and Nashville. Will be visiting family in several locations as well along the way. Will also be doing some storm chasing along the way on days that warrant it.

1otziq.jpg

Jewel Cave National Monument and Custer State Park are pretty cool, they are near Mount Rushmore. They are worth a visit if you have extra time the day you are around Mount Rushmore.

1otziq.jpg

I want to do a roadtrip like this someday and go all over the west side of the country. I have yet to make it West of Austin Texas. I really want to visit Yellowstone and Glacier National Park in Montana. Enjoy man!

Jewel Cave National Monument and Custer State Park are pretty cool, they are near Mount Rushmore. They are worth a visit if you have extra time the day you are around Mount Rushmore.

One of my co-workers was telling me about Jewel Cave. Definitely gonna be adding that to the plan.

I want to do a roadtrip like this someday and go all over the west side of the country. I have yet to make it West of Austin Texas. I really want to visit Yellowstone and Glacier National Park in Montana. Enjoy man!

Yea, should be interesting and fun.

I'd like to do another in the West one day, hitting up places like Yellowstone, Glacier, Death Valley, Tahoe and other locations.

Awesome shot, any suggestions on how to get shots like this. I've attempted lightning shots dozens of times and they all suck. ^_^

Thanks.  Lightning can definitely be tricky, because light intensity varies from strike to strike.  I usually just shoot 10-20 sec exposures, but if lightning is very frequent or very bright I use the shutter release to close it before too much light gets let in.  I've found F5.6 works best on my lens, but you can always play with that and see what works on your setup.  I like to keep the ISO as low as possible to keep noise/grain down.  You don't need much ISO assistance since the bright flash of the bolt is the highlight of the pic anyway.  I generally keep the ISO below 200.  

The above pic was 20 sec at F5.6, and an ISO of 100.  The flash in the above pic was right near the end of that 20 sec exposure. 

Been hanging in the 40s most of the day here. Up to 0.83" of rain for the week so far. 0.53" today - mainly before 12pm.

That sounds/looks like an awesome trip Chicago Storm. I definitely can speak for the two places Stebo mentioned. Jewel Cave is incredible with its crystal formations inside. If you go to Custer State Park travel the Needles Highway (87) and do the Wildlife Loop drive to the east of Custer. You're very likely to see free range Bison roaming around there - also likely to see Pronghorn, Prairie Dogs, and wild Donkey's. 

Will be in Rocky Mountain National Park myself this year, but not until July.

Yea, should be interesting and fun.

I'd like to do another in the West one day, hitting up places like Yellowstone, Glacier, Death Valley, Tahoe and other locations.

Northern Cascades slay, so much more interesting than all the arid ranges south and east. Glacier is pretty awesome too.

I liked Yellowstone but enjoyed nearby Grand Teton way more

Northern Cascades slay, so much more interesting than all the arid ranges south and east. Glacier is pretty awesome too.

Watch out...i was in the Big Horn Mtns (east of Yellowstone) in June and we ended up in a snowstorm (before i read weather maps/afds)...this was the same day of the tornado outbreak in South Dakota....June 24, 2003 i think...

gettingout.jpg

It was weird...when we left that morning we had snow...by late that afternoon it was 80F and humid (as we crossed he MO River in South Dakota).

We drove around 2000 miles in a couple days...ugh...not sure i could pull that off now.

Grand Teton would be on the list as well.

Hopefully will be able to do that trip in the next few years.

I had friends in RMNP about a week ago and there was still snow up above 10,000 ft. The road that leads through the park goes up to 13,000 ft, so there will signs of winter left over for sure.

1/8 mile visibility all morning at home to Racine.

I had friends in RMNP about a week ago and there was still snow up above 10,000 ft. The road that leads through the park goes up to 13,000 ft, so there will signs of winter left over for sure.

1/8 mile visibility all morning at home to Racine.

yeah, i was there in june many years ago and there was plenty of snow....and lots of high based dry convection.

Archived